Veena Raja Rao Centenary Year Celebrations in Michigan

Concerts and other events related to CM.
Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Veena recital by Veena Kinhal
Accompanied by Indiresh Maktal

Please treat this as my personal invite. I hope to see some Detroit area rasikas at the event.

Sreeni Rajarao

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Best Wishes, Sreeni!

cienu

Post by cienu »

Wish the program all success :)

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

I wish she performs in Chennai. I would like to hear her. =)

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Veena Raja Rao Centenary year celebration concert in Troy, Michigan.

Veena Kinhal accompanied by Indiresha Maktal on mRdanga.

The following items were rendered:
1. swarajati in hamsAnandi (composer: Veena Raja Rao)

2. varNa in udayaravi candrike (evaribhOda dhanavininAto intamODisEtuvA) - composer: Veena Raja Rao

3. saraswati vanajabhava sati in saraswati rAga (composer Veena Raja Rao)

4. haratanaya sree in nAta rAga (composer Veena Raja Rao)

5. namipenayya tyAgarAja in kathanakutUhala (composer Veena Raja Rao)

6. nIkenduku dayarAdura in simhendramadhyama (composer: Mysore Vasudevacharya): Alapana, neraval and swaras at tannutAnga nIvu ........

7. vishweshwara darushana in sindhubhairavi (composer: Swati TirunAL)

8. rA rA rAjIva lOcana in mOhana (Mysore Vasudevacharya): Alapana and swaras

9. raghuvamsha sudhAmbudhi in kathana kuthUhala ( Veena mentioned that as an instrumentalist, she would like to satisfy an urge to play raghuvamsha eventhough she has already rendered kathana kutUhala. The audience graciously obliged)

10. nagumOmu in Abheri : Alapana, tana mAlika in AbhEri, shiva ranjani (audience request), kalyANi, hindOLa, neraval and swara at jagamEle paramAtma, tani Avartana

11. ADidanO ranga in Arabhi (PurandaradAsa kRti tuned by Veena Raja Rao)

12. jO jO sree kRshna in kuranji (PurandaradAsa lullaby song tuned by Veena Raja Rao)

13. tillAna in kApi (Veena Sheshanna's famous tillAna)

14. mannAru kRshnage mangaLa in vasanta rAga (PurandaradAsa mangala kRti, tuned by Veena Raja Rao)

Veena sang along with many of the above items and the audience was pleasantly surprised!

Simhendra madhyama, mOhana and Abheri items were elaborate.

Indiresh's accompaniment on mRdanga blended very well with Veena's renditions. Tani Avartana for nagumOmu was well appreciated by the audience.

The concert lasted two hours and five minutes.

It was a pleasant evening filled with memories and tributes to Veena Raja Rao.
Interesting pamphlets and newspaper clippings dating back to 1930s, and rare pictures were displayed.

On a personal note, the event was very gratifying for me. This was a tribute event I had desired for many years. I was relieved that the evening went well, thanks to an excellent support from my friends and family here in the U.S.
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 21 Apr 2009, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Very nice review. Looks to have been a nice concert.

Congratulations!

Can you share it?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Sreeni Rajarao wrote: 2. varNa in udayaravi candrike (evaribhOda dhanavininAto intamODisEtuvA) - composer: Veena Raja Rao
Thanks for the info! I am not frequenting the forum as often, and had missed it. Glad to hear it went off very well.

BTW, I was taught this varna - Never knew it was a composition of Sri Raja Rao. A very nice varna indeed.

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Sreeni Rajarao wrote: 11. ADidanO ranga in Arabhi (PurandaradAsa kRti tuned by Veena Raja Rao)
12. jO jO sree kRshna in kuranji (PurandaradAsa lullaby song tuned by Veena Raja Rao)
14. mannAru kRshnage mangaLa (PurandaradAsa mangala kRti, tuned by Veena Raja Rao)

Again, I had now clue that these dEvaranAmas were tuned by Sri Rajarao. Thanks for the info.

-Ramakriya

cienu

Post by cienu »

Happy to hear that the event was succesful. Congratulations. :)

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Cienu and rshankar,
Thanks for the best wishes and support! I hope to be able to upload the concert or parts of it in the coming weeks.

Ramakriya,
yes, besides the above mentioned dEvaranAmas, bandanEne ranga bandanEne (Sree), bhagyadA lakshmi bAramma (madhyamAvati), Oorige bandare dAsayya (kApi) are some of the other popular padas tuned by my Father. ( Haridasara kritigalu was published in 1942 and Haridasa kriti manjari in 1955, both by kannada sahitya parishat. Shivasharanara vacanagalu and basaveshwara vacana gana manjari were also published by parishat)

It's interesting to know that you have learned the udayaravicandrike varNa. I will catchup with you to get the details!

KVasundhara

Post by KVasundhara »

Namaste Sreeni and Veena Ji

Great to hear that the event was a huge success.Congratulations!

Vasundhara kikkeri

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

http://www.archive.org/details/VeenaKin ... lebrations

nIkenduku dayarAdura in simhendra madhyama, a Mysore Vasudevacharya kRti.

An excerpt from Veena Kinhal's March 28th, 2009 concert in Michigan as part of Veena Raja Rao Centenary year celebrations.
mRdanga accompaniment provided by Indiresh Maktal.
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 21 Apr 2009, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.