Rag SUMANESA RANJINI

Rāga related discussions
hariharan

Post by hariharan »

This is a janya raga of 56th mela Shanmukhapriya. The aroh and avaroh are SGMPNS - SNPMGS. This raga is also known by another name 'Sumanisapriya'. The Hindustani equivalent of this raga is called rag 'Madhukouns'. The note Pa seems to be the nyasa swara and the Jeeva swaram.

When the M1 of the raga 'Sudha Dhanyasi ' is changed to M2 this raga originates ( the pratimadyama raga of sudha Dhanyasi )

Rag Sumanesaranjini and the Rag Samudrapriya are having the same aroh and avaro notes and also sounds almost the same. This is a minor raga and are sung occasionally during Katcheries, as 'tukkada' mostly in the form of a Bhajan or some rare kirtans in this raga. Some of the songs heard sung in this raga are

1) ninnai saran adaiden kannamma of great Sri.Subramania Bharathi sung by Priya Sisters. Please listen to this song so well sung by them from this audio link - song No. 5

http://ww.smashits.com/player/flash/fla ... gIds=64747

http://ww.smashits.com/tsearch/music/so ... haran.html

http://www.esnips.com/web/BaranisMusic
http://www.esnips.com/doc/816aab1b-6dff ... 455/Ninnai

This same song had been rendered in the film "Bharathi" but in a different raga, by Bombay Jayashree and music directed by the ever-time great Sri. Ilayaraja. The link is

http://www.muziboo.com/Sudhathee/music/ninnai- charanadaindhen-bharathi

Another beautiful rendation of this song can be hear at the following link sung by Shrini Bhaiya. The link is;

http://www.esnips.com/doc/0eba5171-3158 ... ini-Bhaiya

For the details of Lyrics of this song please go to the link
http://visuowns.blogspot.com/2008/07/ni ... nthen.html

Madurai Sri. Somu had sung an own composition praising Mookambikai Devi in this rag. The song is available in the sangeethapriya.org. He had sung the song with ragam alapanam and with swarams. The song begins like this " Mookambika moolaadhaarini mokshadayini sumanesaranjini "

Sri. Voleti Venkateswaralu had sung a beautiful Bhajan in raga Madhukouns (an equivalant raga in HM). The song is "nama bhajan kyom chodudiya-hari nama bhajan kyom chodudiya" This song is available in sangeethapriya.org for download.

Few Iyyappan songs (in Malayalam) in raga Sumanesaranjini are also heard.
1. Pandala rajakumara Sree abareesa nee kutikollum mala kerivarumee bhaktarE anugrahikku-deva....."
2. saramkutti aalinde murivetta manasil....sung by Sri. KJ Jesudas in his first Ayyappan Songs album.

Radhekrishna
Hariharan.
Last edited by hariharan on 25 Jan 2009, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hallo Hari,
Please view and listen to one of my compositions in the raga sumanesa ranjini web site .Karnatik.com
has posted this song You can browse from the compositions alpha batically (Pallavi-wise) arranged .My self rendition and rendition by Smt.Raji can be listened .
NEE MANAMKANINDARULVAAYe is the pallavi line.
KR

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

I loved both the versions. Thanks for leading us.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

vageyakara,
Sir, Both versions are very nice and melodious. I also had a feeling of listening the rag Chandrakouns when ever the note Pa is sounded. I thought this may be just my illusion. But I get this feeling every time when the song sails through the Panchamam. This tempted my curiosity to know why is it so, and when I tried it on the key board, Yes, changing the scale to Pa note, the Raga Sumanesaranjini becomes Chandrakouns.

Hariharan
Last edited by hariharan on 22 Mar 2009, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

kishorepalle

Post by kishorepalle »

Hello Sri Vageyakara,

Can you please post the link to Nee Manamkanindaulvaaye?? I just can't seem to find it on karnatic.com.

Thanks
Kishore Palle

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

kishorepalle

Post by kishorepalle »

Thanks for the link ragam-talam.

Also, I found this on youtube, a very good presentation of raga Sumanesa Ranjani. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgJXeWrf1YM

Kishore Palle

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Dear Sri kishorepalliSir, kindly refer to post no 6 of this page wherein one of our beloved members Ragam taLam has given the exact link to my composition in SUMANESARANJINI- NEE MANAM KANINDARULVAAYE.
fOR OTHER COMPOSIRTIONS TOO U CAN REFER TO PAGE NO 3 OF VAGEYAKARS THREAD-rAMARAJ'S KRITIS WITH THEIR RSPECT LINK RFERENCES. ARRANGED ALPHA WISE LISTING (PALLAVI LINES)AND ENJOY LISENING TO THE SAME.tHANKS,
ramaraj

P.s. Thr correct spelling of the website is karnatik.com and not kartatic.com whjich please note for future reference.
Thanks,
KR
Last edited by vageyakara on 24 Mar 2009, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

kishorepalle

Post by kishorepalle »

Dear Sri Vageyakara,

I just listened to your Sumanesa Ranjani. It was pretty good.

If everything works out, I'll try my hand at composing my next keerthana in Sumanesa Ranjani.

Thanks for sharing your composition with all of us here and please keep continuing your work and we hope to listen to more from you.

Kishore Palle

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Dear Sri. Hariharan
Raga Sumanesa ranjini needs some illustration to dispel the seemingly doubtful similiraty with Chandra kaunse when panchamam is touched upon'

Whereas the scale of Sum.ranjini is SA GA(Sada) Ma(Prathij PA ni (kakali) sa ; Sa ni da(sudh) Pa ma Ga Sa being a janya of 56th mElam Shanmukha priya. Please note there is no daivatham in it.

Whereas Raga chandra kauns Sa Ga Ma (sudha) dha ni(kakali) Sa; Sa ni dha ma ga sa having no Pa in it.

For easy identification, it can be said like this.
Remove sudha madhyamam from Hindolam and add Kakali nishadam to it.,It will give Chandraskaunse a great ragam. It is also known as Chandravati as per CM
I request all to listen to Raji's soul-stirring rendition of my krithi and the same link may please be referred to
Thanks
KR
Last edited by vageyakara on 24 Mar 2009, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Vageyakara,

Ur post is full of confusion and it is quite evident that U don't have any formal training in CM.Why don't U consult somebody who knows CM before posting such things especially grammar of ragas ?

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

ganeshkant
Your filthy and uncivilised remarks bear testrimony to your half baked knowledge about my capability . I wonder as to what made u to prefer such a vague one. without pin- pointing any particular reason for
your confusion. I hope betteer counselling by other members would prevail upon you.
KR

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ganeshkant,
If you care to read through Vaggeyakara's postings in the past, you would come to know that he is not what you describe him to be! Please think twice before you criticize someone like Ramaraj--the half-baked reference applies more to a vAggEyakArA like me who has not had much training!

Ramaraj,
We are all very happy that you are back on the forum after your long ordeal. Take it easy and work on getting better every day :)
Last edited by arasi on 24 Mar 2009, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

kishorepalle

Post by kishorepalle »

vageyakara wrote:Dear Sri. Hariharan
Raga Sumanesa ranjini needs some illustration to dispel the seemingly doubtful similiraty with Chandra kaunse when panchamam is touched upon'

Whereas the scale of Sum.ranjini is SA GA(Sada) Ma(Prathij PA ni (kakali) sa ; Sa ni da(sudh) Pa ma Ga Sa being a janya of 56th mElam Shanmukha priya. Please note there is no daivatham in it.

Whereas Raga chandra kauns Sa Ga Ma (sudha) dha ni(kakali) Sa; Sa ni dha ma ga sa having no Pa in it.

For easy identification, it can be said like this.
Remove sudha madhyamam from Hindolam and add Kakali nishadam to it.,It will give Chandraskaunse a great ragam. It is also known as Chandravati as per CM
I request all to listen to Raji's soul-stirring rendition of my krithi and the same link may please be referred to
Thanks
KR

Dear Sri Ramaraj,

I have to agree with ganeshkant (a little) here. Your message reads, ni as Kakali (N3) for Raga Sumanesa Ranjani which should be Kaisaki Nishadam (N2). Of course this should be purely a typo as you confirmed that Sumanesa Ranjani is the Janya of Shanmukha Priya which does not have N3.

Also, In your post, you said, remove suddha madhyamam (M1) from Hindolam and add Kakali Nishadam to it to give Chandrakauns... But I am sure that you intended to write it like "Just a change of N2 to N3 in Hindolam will give Chandrakauns". As you know, Chandrakauns Arohana is S G2 M1 D1 N3 S and Avarohanam is S N3 D1 M1 G2 S which has M1.

Although I said I agree with Sri Ganeshkant, I have to say that he went a little over board while criticizing you. I believe that Criticism in positive tone should always be encouraged, that is how we learn more. After all no one can claim that they are the master and there is nothing that they do not know in any sort of art Music.

We hope to listen to more of your compositions Sri. Ramaraj.

Thanks & Regards,
Kishore Palle

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Dear Kishorpalli,
Please bear with me for the typo errors.Ganesh kant., too I hope will put up with it.
KR

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Dear Arasi madam ,Thank you very much . As I you said , I take this very easy and no regrets at all for the simple reason that I am endowed with the ALL IMPORTANT QUALITY (VIZ) INGITHAM TOO.
KR

kishorepalle

Post by kishorepalle »

Dear Ramaraj sir,

We have no issues with the typos or anything as long as you are here helping us and posting your compositions. :)

Thanks.
Kishore Palle

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Dear kishorepalle
It is my bounden duty to share what little knowledge I am supposedly known to be having and I deem it a plesure to be amongst erudite people likethe devotees of Cm from whom I go on learning till my last breath, which I fervently hope, will last for several more years .
Thanks
KR
Last edited by vageyakara on 24 Mar 2009, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Ramaraj, IN your present state of health, recovering by God's grace after a major surgery , ignore such unhealthy and mean outbursts by some members ,and continue your good work. BEST WISHES
I too wish members should refrain from using impolite and harsh language . never mind.
I have also made it a point never to hurt anybody's heart or insult , while posting. Afterall, ours is a friendly forum I do admit sometimes my language and grammar may not be correct. gobilalitha
Last edited by gobilalitha on 25 Mar 2009, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

It is very unpleasant to read those blunt remarks by the member against our ' vageyaka' , who has been one of our most respected and active participants of this forum. Sri.KR is also considered to be one of our most esteemed members, known for all the useful contributions he had made for this forum. I am happy that he is back in our forum and I pray Almighty for his robust health. Sri. Ramraj Sir, do continue and guide us with your valued knowledge and exposure of music for this forum.

Usually, no one intentionally makes mistakes. Despite this good concept, it does happen some times, and goes unnoticed also, may be because, rechecking our reply, before posting it on line into the thread, is omitted to be done. In our forum there are many instances, where corrections are done by our rasikas , after reading the reply, for any errors in the grammar of Music or lyrics etc. Such corrections are needed and are most welcome, with graceful acceptance. If at all any errors are noticed, there are other soft ways to communicate and reach them to the rasikas concerned, with absolute care taken, to maintain the decorum of the forum. I wish this forum will not witness anymore such unpleasant remarks, in the future.

Error is human, but to repent is always a virtue.

The Rag Sumanesaranjini (also known as rag Samudrapriya) seems to be also a moorchana rag. The 'swara bedam" of Panchamam, you get rag Chandrakouns (21st mela Keeravani of CM).

Hariharan.
Last edited by hariharan on 25 Mar 2009, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Dear Vageyakara,

Sorry for my posting that has hurt you.

My remarks were casual like we say one to one amidst friends.All of us are strong at certain things and weak in some other thing.Hence there is no question of doubting or underestimating ones capability.To be frank with you till yesterday I didn't know you.I thought "somebody is playing around and let me make a reply."

Sorry to Kishorepalle/Arasi/Hariharan/Gobilalitha

Hope I gain some maturity in the days to come.Oh lord...how long is it going to take ?

Vageyakara,I pray god for your fast and full recovery and pl.enthral us with your new compositions shortly.
Last edited by ganeshkant on 25 Mar 2009, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

dear GANESHKANT, You have proved to be a wonderful gentleman. May god bless you all the best in all your efforts in any field you have chosen. BE POSTING REGULARLY. GOODLUCK. gobilalitha

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Dear ganeshkant, Very very happy to go through your latest posting and you have proved your virtues too. This forum is in fact very proud of your presence, especially to receive your frank and to-the-point fitting coverage of most of the Katcheries and music concerts. Let us forget and forgive and please continue your contributions to us.
Wish you all the best.

Hariharan.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Ganeshkant,

I just chanced upon this thread and went throught the contents and happy to note that you have shown remarkable grace in apologising to Ramaraj who is a much loved member of this forum and a respected Vaggeyakara

I also immediately checked all your earlier posts and I found that most of your posts were well written. In some posts however there appear to be casual remarks (maybe unintentional).

In written communication we need to be 100% sure that what is written is what we intend to convey. Only then should you hit the submit button.

My best wishes to you.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 28 Nov 2009, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

My dear shri Ganesh kant, It reminds me of the famous and exemplary puraNic remark"NETTRI KKAN THIRUPPINUM KUTRAM KUTRAME" by the legendary Nakkeerar(thiruviLayADal puranam") and I graefully accept my fault and wish to explain the reason behind . My computor knowlwedge and my capability to commit errors is well known.I actually forgot to edit my post before clicking the SUBMIT button which resulted in all sorts of the famous comedy of erros. I really appreciate your forthright remarks. I also bow down before your magnanimity in having repented for your none too soft lines thru which you expressed ur views.Any way let us forget the past and let us continue to contribute whatever little we can to the DIVINE CARNATIC MUSIC THROUGH OUR ESTEEMED FORUM. . I can reassure u in no un certain manner thatr I am not at all hurt or affected by remarks after all I am just like your eldeR brother( I am 73 now)
Cardially (cordially) yours. LE T SUMANESA RANJINI BRING SOLACE AND PEACE UNTO ALL.
Ramaraj
Last edited by vageyakara on 25 Mar 2009, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

kishorepalle

Post by kishorepalle »

Found this video on the raga Sumanesa Ranjani. Sri Rajesh Vaidhya is presenting this on Veena. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILSYzm6omc0

I see that the video is titled as Misra Sumanesa Ranjani but can't seem to identify the anya swaram for this to be called Misra Sumanes Ranjani. May be fellow rasikas can help.
Last edited by kishorepalle on 29 Mar 2009, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hallo Kishore ji,
I have just now listened to R.Vidhya's sumanesa Ranjini.It has both sUDHA daivatham and sudha nisHadha , confirming it to be he janya of (55) syAmaLAngi wih SA GA MA PA DA NI SA;
SA NI DA PA MA GA SA
tHE NAME OF THE AGA IS Sri kanTi Ref sl.No36-page no,225- RAGAM PRAVAHAM (TAMIL EDITION)
Kr
Last edited by vageyakara on 30 Mar 2009, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

erode14

Post by erode14 »

gobilalitha wrote:dear GANESHKANT, You have proved to be a wonderful gentleman.
true.

anumk9

Re: Rag SUMANESA RANJINI

Post by anumk9 »

Today I heard a beautiful krithi in this raga.. Eesane kailasa nadane... I don't know composer name.. Can I get that lyrics... thankz in advance.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Please tell us exactly where you heard this song. Thanks.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

An MLV special was the Jayadeva ashTapadi - hari riha mugdha which she sang in sumanEsa ranjani. This rAga's scale goes like : S G2 M2 P N2 S -- S N2 P M2 G2 S.

It is known as madhukauns in HM as the OP pointed out and the name is even used alternatively in CM as well. While it shares the other notes with the scale of shuddha dhanyAsi, using the prati madhyamam completely changes the character of the scale leaving not even the slightest trace of shuddha dhanyAsi in it.

Speaking of the ashtapadi by MLV, here's a good one :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXxkK0c6p3o - there was a live DD recording of it in an MLV documentary on Youtube which I am now not able to find.

Aesthetic wise, it seems to remind me of someone who's blood just drained from their face and they're feverish (these words should be taken aesthetically), but the raga really does contain a lot of pallor in it's bhava.

A raga AlApanA from Raga Surabhi : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mHeiomTZn8

A youtube search throws up quite a few compositions in this rAgA, including a Subramania Bharati one by Thanjavur S Kalyanaraman : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeGh1whzPlQ

TM Krishna used to sing a meera bhajan in madhukauns back in the day - krishna kahO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QWY3BQ3OxI (This is from INRECO's official channel)
Last edited by SrinathK on 06 Feb 2019, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

There's even a varnam in it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Aatc3v-Ido -- but in this particular rendition, I raise a question about their varALi like handling of the gandharam, it turns it into G1 / R2 and gives it a much more saraswati / hEmavati like flavour (there is a rAgA like that under hEmavati, it's called yAgini)

And a tillAnA as well : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7URNsYEGJtw

@@RasikasModerator2 Change the title to sumanEsa ranjani and not ranjini
Last edited by SrinathK on 06 Feb 2019, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Vid R Suryaprakash, once sang a pallavi at Bangalore in Sumanesaranjani. Also remember listening to one by the Violin artist Harikumar in one of the Saturday Morning SRSN program, years ago.

TNS also sang a multi raga pallavi ( again in Bangalore ) in Sumanesaranjani, Ranjani and Sri.