Vidushi Jahnavi Jayaprakash (1950 -2002)

Carnatic Musicians
Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Jahnavi Jayaprakash was a popular vocalist in Karnataka in the 1980s. Before she began focusing on vocal renditions for Bharatanatya performances, Jahnavi was a prolific performer of full length concerts in the Bangalore music circles. She met with an untimely death at a young age of 52.

A Google search brings out some information on her backgroud. I understand she had trained under Vidwans
T Puttaswamaiah and H V Venkateshaiah.

I have listened to many of her mesmerizing renditions for Bharatanatya performances. I remember enjoying her music in a 1990 performance of a Bharatanatya dance drama on Ramayana in Pittsburgh.

I believe she had settled down in California for a few years in the1990s, mainly to provide vocal support for dance performances. It appears she had spent significant time in Amsterdam as well, inspiring a very active group of Carnatic music enthusiasts.

I hope a private collector (Coolkarni Sir?) will be able to share some of Vidushi Jahanvi Jayaprakash's music.

Sreeni Rajarao
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 04 Oct 2008, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

Sreeni Rajarao wrote:It appears she had spent significant time in Amsterdam as well, inspiring a very active group of Carnatic music enthusiasts.
Here's a tribute to Jahnavi Jayaprakash at the Karnatic Lab web site. They also have a CD of her music.

http://karnaticlabrecords.com/artists.php?id=30

Umesh

Post by Umesh »

First, thanks to Ravi for directing me to this thread. Smt. Jahnavi was the vocalist for my arangetram in 2001. It was one of the final arangetrams she did in the U.S.

She stayed at our house for a week leading up to the actual show and was a pleasure. The woman was candid, funny, kind, and immensely passionate about dance and music. Having a conversation with her was like talking to an aunty I've known all my life. I think she felt especially comfortable in our home because she, like my mom, hails from Bangalore, so the two would joke in Kannada and share stories about the city. She gave me some valuable advice about dance and encouraged me to continue dancing and train in India. I miss her tremendously... and that voice! What a blessing for us that she dedicated it to singing for dance.

I will upload a couple pieces from my arangetram if any of you are interested. They are, of course, completely non-commercial. She did a beautiful musical interlude of Vyasarayaru's Krishna Nee Begane Baaro.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Please do, Umesh...

Umesh

Post by Umesh »

After some digging, here it is: a musical interlude from my arangetram (October 2001, NJ).

http://rapidshare.com/files/162304126/V ... Misram.m4a

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Umesh,
Thanks so much for the upload!

Cool Sir,
I am sure you understand what I mean (private collector = not a recording company). I am surprised if you do not have her music in your endless treasure.

Sreeni Rajarao

Re: Vidushi Jahnavi Jayaprakash (1950 -2002)

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I was happy to find this on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAm3pfRnPY8