Harikatha's by Needamangalam Krishnamurthy Bhagavathar

History, religion and culture
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I have been recently frustrated by my inability to listen to the harikatha collection from the Nada Anubhooti site. I am able to listen to the carnatic music pieces but not this section! Has anyone else expereinces these same issues? Is there a website that offers downloads of harikathas in general, and his in particular?
Thanks.
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

In fact it will be a good idea if folks can share their collections of Harikathas.
Here is a superb one by NKB
http://rapidshare.de/files/2578719/Kuzh ... B.mp3.html
Pl discuss and comment after listening to this.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

This is a very DUMB question: how does one know that a file has been uploaded on rapidshare?

abadri

Post by abadri »

Sri Ravi,

I can actually still listen to the harikatha collection by using the
"Project Music Vault" link on the Nada Anubhooti page.
This'll lead you to a Netjuke registration page. Once the
registration is complete and you log in, you can listen to the
harikatha-s by clicking on the "Devotional - Harikatha" link.

Hope this helps!

Rgds,
-Badri

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

This is a very DUMB question: how does one know that a file has been uploaded on rapidshare?
you will get to know only when the uploader gives you the link.
it works this way
1.anyone can upload a file upto size 50mb ..any number of files.
(but safely work at 80% of this limit-my suggestion)
2.at ther end of upload, the links are displayed on the same page.if you opt for a email advice,you get an email which gives you a download link and a secret delete link.
3.any number of downloads are permitted.
4.if you hit the delete link, it gets deleted from the server.so better keep it out of reach or accidental use.
5.if an uploaded file is not downloaded for 30 consecutive days , it gets automatically deleted.
all these are on the free acoount.On premium accounts, the download options have better features.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

abadri:
Thanks for your suggestion: it worked like a charm after I deselected iTunes as my default player!
coolkarni sa'ab:
1. I am a CONFIRMED mac user and a iTunes/iPOD fanatic, and all of the tracks in my iTunes library (~1750) are in the aac format (.m4a). Are these files treated the same way as mp3 files by rapidshare? If I am able to upload these files (no mean task, considering the degree of ignorance I am operating under!), can others (like you) play them?
2. To people like you and Lakshman sa'ab and others who perform such a wonderful, selfless service to the world of Indian Music, all I can say is to quote a few words from one of the songs in the movie 'shankarABaraNam': 'dhorakunA itu- vanti sEvA?'
To ALL:
I checked the NKB tracks at the Nada Anubhooti website, and these are my observations: Please feel free to confirm/refute these.
1. The kalinga narthanam track and the amma janaki track are the same!
2. AFAIK, except for two tracks,(kalinga narthanam and raaskreedai tracks), the others are commerically available: Is it not a copyright infringement to post these?
3. I am BIG FAN of NKB: He is probably the most musically gifted of the Harikatha exponents that I have heard (of course, I have not heard HMB). I love his opinions on music as much as I like his main discourse! In the kuzhaludi track (it is the same as the one on rapidshare posted by cmlover - thanks cml sa'ab), with wonderful examples and devastating wit, NKB delineates the importance of watching the sahityam and enunciating/pronouncing the words appropriately! I mention this because, on another bboard, it was mentioned that only the novice to music is bothered by lyrics, and as and when one matures into a true 'nadhOpAsaka', words and their meanings all but disappear! That must surely have been the reason why my grandfather and uncle would go 'Ah Ha' with appreciation while listening to some concerts when all that yours truly heard sounded like 'appaLAm vadAm porithEn'! Maybe they were true nAdhOpasaka's while I suffer from 'Arrested Development' and am still stuck with the continued need to appreciate lyrics! But at least, I am in NKB's august company!
Disclaimer: While the references to my need to understand the words of songs are true, I wrote most of #3 above with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, and NO OFFENCE was meant!
Ravi Shankar

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

selfless service
not really.for every mb i post here, i have been getting 3 mb worth
on cds/rapidshare from friends.
you bet i will put all of it here until someone stops me.
though i may have to keep doing it for five years to deserve being spoken in the same breath as lakshmanji..
(also cannot help thanking srkris everyday, for giving us such a wonderful platform)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

rshankar.
forgot to add a couple of points.
as many would have guessed,what i upload is the result of a highly coordinated work involving many friends here(not counting my wife and son who keep transferring tapes to mp3 round the clock)
so i am just a face, you see.
mp4 , aac, ... rapidshare upload is no issue.
just go to the page.browse as usual to choose your file and click upload.and wait for as many minutes as there are mbs in your file.
dont close the page , though you can minimise it and browse further.
at the end you you will get a upload complete message with an upload link at the bottom of the page.
you will also get a secret delete link which will take the track of the server.be careful while copying and pasting this link elsewhere.accidentally you may delete since it will not ask for a confirmation for deleting.!

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

cmlover sir,
Will it be possible for you to load the other 3 parts of the upanyasam? Thank you.

I like the way he describes "BakSaNa kriSNan". In one of the other parts, he describes some bad renderings on the concert platforms with an element of humor in them. That was also good.

Until I listened to this upanysam, I never knew that there 3 songs to go with one another: tAyE yaSOdA (tODI), illai illai illai ammA (mohanam), and pEsAdE pOngaLaDi (madyamAvati). It was really interesting.

Sri NKB was probably one of the best harikatha exponent of his times. The only 2 records I have heard by him are the one on Kalinga Narthana/Rasa Lila and the 2 hr album on the netjuke which Badri Sir mentioned. Are there any other recordings of his available on the net or commercially?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ksrimech
I realized whatever NKB I have are the ones on Netjuke. They can be downloaded directly. It will be nice if others have a private collection and are willing to share. I too am a great fan of NKB.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

cml sir,
Can you throw some light on how they can be downloaded from netjuke? I haven't been able to download them directly. I have tried copying and pasting the link on rawave recorder but I'ven't been successful. Thank you.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

No! it cannot be downloaded as a file! You can only play it and then copy it during that time using computer or other recording devices. If you like I can u/l each in rapidshare. Do let me know.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

cml sir,
I wouldn't be able to do online recording since I have a linux based system here at school. I donot know of any software which would facilitate that. So please do send them by rapidshare. Thank you.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

total recorder is one most convenient softwares for such applications.i am not sure of the linux angle though.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ksrimech

I will u/l to rapidshare in stages. Just be patient. Only request is as you enjoy them do share your feelings and commensts :D

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ksrimech
here we go
http://rapidshare.de/files/2705923/Amma ... B.mp3.html

In my view NKB is a master of getting messages through humour. He uses CM very effectively, judiciously and appropriately. I use him as my model when I do skits Harikatha style which the audience enjoy immensely.

Pl add your comments!

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

cmlover sir,
I listened to the harikatha. I feel like listening to it again and again. Particularly where he tears the then singers with wit and humor. I loved the way he did it. I felt how much it is necessary to keep the pronounciation right. Otherwise as he says "kAdula vandu kuttum". It is just not for tamizh alone. Same stands for tElugu, kannaDa, malayALam, hindi and sanskrit.

The other thing I like is the way he sings marakata maNimaya cEla. Its also very nice.

I read online that he was an expert on jayadEva's aSTapadi. I wish I'll be able to listen to his harikathas on rAsalila.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ksrimech
Here is what you wanted
http://rapidshare.de/files/2832651/Rasa ... B.mp3.html

I hope those who have other NKB stored in their closets will share it with us.

If it is commercial kindly provide reference to where they can be bought!

Thanks

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

In this harikathA, I love the explanation for 'madhanAnga sundhara rUpA': actually not very different from what I had visualized when I first heard the song! All of OVKs compositions invoke very clear imagery!

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

CML sir,
This one of the gems I have heard by Sri NKB. His rendering of naTavarataruNi (kannaDa gouLa), madanAga mohana sukumAranE (Kamas), alaipAyuDEy (kAnaDa) and others are simply fantastic. I also liked the viruttam koimalarin meniyane (kAnaDa). Nalla sAhityam.

Beautiful lyrics. OVS could sing all these with out really seeing this wrold. But if he had seen all the temples and shilabErams imagine the beauty his sahitya would have got. What words! I have no words to talk about his kavi cAturyam and pulamai.

The other OVS viruttam I'm remainded of is by Aruna Sayeeram in Brindavana Saranga (manamayakkum isai kOlE senkOlAy). That is also superb. Aruna Sayeeram also renders it very well.

I was just wondering why people wouldn't render padyam from prahlAda Bakti vijayam and nOuka caritram. Do you know why?

Thank you uploading the clips.
Next I request you load some harikathas you have performed. (Just kidding! No hard feelings!) :D

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ksrimech
Next I request you load some harikathas you have performed. (Just kidding! No hard feelings!)
I will one of these days after requesting Ramakrishnan to open a topic for svasaahityam. I enjoy doing skits! Especially I like to parody the famous ones (NKB, Sengalipuram, TSB, Embaar, and aaraavamudhan too!)

I wish we could get more NKB as also more OVK! Ravikiran is doing a superb job resurrecting the master. CM folks have to wakeup to his genius!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

cmlji,
Some of NKBs harikathas are commercially available: of the ones on netjuke, the one on 'kAlinga narthana praBAvam' and 'rAsalIlA' are not available, but the others are. In fact, I just discovered a couple of his tapes when I was cleaning out a part of my basement.
Krishna, cmlji,
I am an ARDENT fan of OVK sahityam: unlike the creations of any other composer (I know I am going out on a limb here), even a recitation of OVKs sahityam makes for music and the inherent jathis just flow sensuously.
Per legend, OVK was inspired by Lord krishNA to compose his songs. krishNA was his guru (muisc), krishNA was his friend, his audience, and even a dancer when he composed and sang - verily, his friend, philosopher and guide. It is also said that, just like guruvAyUrappan and nArAyaNa BaTTadrI, krishNA is supposed to have conveyed his appreciation to Sri OVK. But OVK is not just a composer on krishNA: he has composed many other songs (kamalAmbA navAvarNa krithIs, some on rAmA - isn't 'enakkuL iru padham vaithu' his?, and per NKB at least one on murugan), and I think even an opera on rADHA kalyANam. He has composed a song in gowrimanohari (the rAgam of proclamation, according to Sri GS Mani) on the BAgavatham: he describes it as a mango fruit, but without the nAru, or holes from a vaNdu! In another song on vinAyaka, he describes 'piLLaiyAr' as 'mAthanga muKa chandhrabimba vadhanam, mahA tripura sundharI nandhanam' (I found the first comparison a bit of an oxymoron! an elephant is many things, but not beautiful)...

Are there any other harikathAs that can be shared? Growing up on the campus of IITM, I have heard many by Manjakudi at the kAthyAyinI samEtha jalakanTeshwarar temple: his exposition on manjaL mahimai was great: I can recall it if I close my eyes, even today. It would be great to get some of them uploaded!
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

mAta^Nga also means anything excellent of its kind. Hence OVK used the words carefully. Also vinaayaka has crescent moon at the top of his head (like shiva)! By the by ever heard a more powerful electrifying song than OVK's srivigna raajam bhaje (which sudha,saayeeram,Kjy .. equally render with such a gusto!) Therein OVK writes:
"santatamahaM dantisundaramukhaM antakaantakasutam.."
Can you beat that rhythmic pulsation? Can it be sung in anything other than GaMbheera naaTTai and khanda cApu. You don't need a drum beat since the lyric takes care of the taaLaM. Even look at the meaning 'dantisundaramukhaM' - a beautiful elephant face; an oxymoron? Seen Trichur pooram or the temple elepahant at Srirangam or Thiruvaanaikkaval (with paTTai) and is there any better majestic beauty in this world?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Point(s) taken!
Ravi

chithra

Post by chithra »

Ravi:

Am curious - did OVS compose navavarnams on kamalambha and on Kamakshi? I know of the latter, but not the former.

Ravi Kiran has released some of OVS's not-so-common compositions - unfortunately, they all are group renditions. They are very good, but I prefer individual perforamces so i can better hear the nuances of a raagam.

Recently, I heard a lady sing a composition by OVS, in Malayamaarutham. Unfortunately, she would permit herself to be recorded. It was a beautiful piece, but I have never heard it since (or earlier). Would someone be able to give me info on that - Meena, Sri Lakshman, Sri CMl....

Are NKB's harikathasavailable commercially? And, who is Manjakudi?

Chithra

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

chitra

As far as I know Ravikiran was conducting classes and workshop on OVK a while ago. There was also a OVK yahoo interest group (which is now defunct). Ideally send an e-mail to Ravikiran (ravikiran@erols.com) expressing your interests and he will direct you to the resources.

regards

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Am curious - did OVS compose navavarnams on kamalambha and on Kamakshi? I know of the latter, but not the former.
Chithra,
I meant kAmAkshI navAvarNa krithIs...good catch!
Are NKB's harikathasavailable commercially?
Yes. I got a set from Giri Traders. They have an online catalogue that you can check. www.giritrading.com
And, who is Manjakudi?
I forget his name, but he was another famous BAgavathar who was great at harikathAs.

Ravi

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

And, who is Manjakudi?
Maybe you meant Mangudi Chidambara Bhagavatar??

nnramya

Post by nnramya »

Its so nice to read this discussion on OVK's music. Am so glad that there are so many out there who feel this way abt his music. He has been my favourite composer ever since I learnt his first composition. I am very fortunate to have learnt many of his compositions from my mother. She learnt from the Oothukaadu Brothers who are in that lineage...I must now research more on them.

Their rendition of his kritis are a class apart from whatever you hear today. I am also very fortunate to have learnt from NKB disciple and relative - V.Alamelu.

Each kriti is an absolute gem and if you hear the original padantharam, you will yearn to hear more and more kritis as each one is more beautiful then the next.

He is a fantastic composer.....each composition is a testimonial to that fact!

chithra

Post by chithra »

Thanks, CML, Ravi, srkris for answering my queries. Ramya, who are the Oothukadu Brothers? Do they exclusively sing OVS compositions / do Katha Kalakshepam etc.?

I have a request - since you seem to have learned the authentic OVS Paatanthiram, would you mind sharing your renditions with us? Ordinary home recording would do - I am sure there is enough talent here to share and learn from each other. Please do consider it. Thanks,

Chithra

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ramya

There are many among us who are great admirers of OVK songs. Why don't you render a few and upload them in rapidshare. We will be your cyberfans. If you want a small intimate group pl let us know your e-mail and we will be the intimate closed fan club :idea:

regards

chithra

Post by chithra »

Now, you really cannot say to such requets and the ever-so-gentle pressure on you, Ramya. Do say you will....

nnramya

Post by nnramya »

Dear Chitra and cmlover :
The Oothukadu Brothers, as I said are part of the OVK lineage - how and which generation etc, I cant quite say although I have started researching that.

They used to extensively perform only OVK kritis- full concerts. There were 3 brothers - 2 vocalists and 1 violinist. Only one brother is among us today, in Chennai somewhere and he still teaches.

My mother says twice a week, AIR would broadcast their concerts. I wish we had some way of obtaining those from the AIR archives. Anyone out there who can help with that?

About my uploading my rendition of these kritis....I am flattered but I am a very mediocre singer and this being a forum where great artists' performances are exchanged, I'd rather not dampen it with my music.

Thank you anyways. :-)

chithra

Post by chithra »

Dear Ramya:

Thanks for your the info re: MDR and O Brothers. Am disappointed about-you-know-what, but will not press, of course.

Would you mind contacting me by email, at chithra.te@gmail.com? Thanks.

chithra

ramani

Post by ramani »

Please put again Harikatha's by Needamangalam Krishnamurthy Bhagavathar. I am eagerly waiting for download

shrashla

Post by shrashla »

Please post again all the three. Also please post the harikatha on Kaalinga Narthana.
Thanks in advance.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

They are commercial tracks....

shindu

Post by shindu »

Namaskarams:

Manjakudi refers to Manjakudi Rajagopala Sastrigal. His upanyasas were very famous. His interpretation was close to the Vedas. If someone has any knowledge of him, please share it here.
Last edited by shindu on 17 May 2008, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I have heard his discourse on the rAmAyaNa, and it was absolutely fascinating! His take on 'manjaL mahimai' was unique.

nan_lak

Post by nan_lak »

can u pls upload this file again? is there any other source for NKB's cassettes apart from giri trading? recently i checked it out in giri. it wasn't available :(

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Sri cmlover and other NKBhagavather Rasikas,

Two links are given below are the Harikatha of Thagaraja Charithram by Sri Needamangalam Krishnamurthy
Bhagavather relayed from the AIR Trichy many years ago. For a few minutes at the start of Vol 01, there is some Audio disturbance.

The songs, its meaning and in between humors from the Bhagavather are very interesting.

I don’t know whether this Harikatha of Sri NKB is available with the Rasikas.

In Vol 02, at the end, Sri Bhagavather sings the eternal EntharoMahanubhavulu narrating the circumstances under which Sri Thyarajar has composed the krithi and its word by word meaning.

Even though Sri NKB gives the meaning of the song word by word, I find that it is in total variance (meaning) to the meaning given in Sri T.S.Parthasarathi’s book of all songs of Thyagaraja.

At times the musical discourse Bhagavathers generally gives some variance of meanings to add pep to the discourse.

Eminent Rasikas of the forum may give their opinions.

1. http://rapidshare.com/files/218731592/0 ... ithram.mp3 | 31556 KB

2. 02-Needamangalam_Krishnamurthy_Bhagavathar Thiagaraja_Charithram.mp3 | 31556 KB

http://www.esnips.com/doc/a73ae934-058b ... anubhavulu.

S.NAGESWARAN.

ghariharan

Post by ghariharan »

Dear Shri Nageswaran:

Pl. make the esnips file of NKB's Thiagaraja Charithram Part 2 downloadable. Thank you.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Sri Hariharan,
ghariharan wrote:Dear Shri Nageswaran:

Pl. make the esnips file of NKB's Thiagaraja Charithram Part 2 downloadable. Thank you.
Please try the down load link given below to enjoy V0l-2 of Sri BKB'S Thyagaraja Charitram discourse.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/f13a331a-5f81 ... Charithram

Please confirm that you were able to down load the link and listen to the musical discourse.

S.NAGESWARAN.

ghariharan

Post by ghariharan »

Mr. Nageswaran:

You have to go to esmips and set the download option. Otherwise one can only listen to the file online. If you find it difficult to set rthe option, may I request you to upload the file to mediafire or rapidshare, pl. Thanks.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Nageswaran Sir,
I have to say its a brilliant exposition of the meanings. I have not heard these events at all in Sri TSBS version. If you do have other kAlakSepams, particularly the detailed one with endarO mahanubhAvulu, please do upload them.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

ghariharanji,

I have given the download link in Rapid share, Vol 2 of Sri NKB'S Sangeetha upanyasam.

http://rapidshare.com/files/227374670/0 ... hiagaraja_

Charithram.mp3.html

Confirm about the download.

S.NAGESWARAN.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear cm lover,

Were you able to listen to Sri NKB'S Upanyasam [VOL 1 AND 2].

The upload was specifically done for you.

Are you having this Upanyasam in your collections.

Please do reply.

S.NAGESWARAN.

eaglesofmai

Post by eaglesofmai »

2nd parts cant be downloaded...pls re upload./..thanks...
Last edited by eaglesofmai on 30 May 2009, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Rasikas,

Download links for Sri NKB'S upanyasam is given below.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jma5uzz1q ... rishnamurt

hy_Bhagavathar-Thiagaraja_Charithram.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/file/byxzojuzu ... ishnamurth

y_Bhagavathar-Thiagaraja_Charithram.mp3

eaglesofmai

Post by eaglesofmai »

thank you somuch :)