Recording samples of aspiring musicians

To teach and learn Indian classical music
tkb

Post by tkb »

Moderator Note: This has been moved from the general section. Let us use this thread for aspiring musicians to post their recordings so they can get constructive feedback from the members.

Dear Members,

As assured by Sathya & myself, I am pleased to inform you all that Sathya had managed to learn the krithi - Kaa Va Va in ragam Varali set to Adi thalam. Here is the link for this song which was played and recorded at home on the 18th November'07. This he has done on hearing a track of Sri T.V.Sankaranarayanan's vocal sample available on musicindiaonline.com

http://www.esnips.com/doc/974c6ffb-131d ... 8Nov07_mp3

This has been purely as a follow-up of having attended a good completion last week. While this is recorded at the first attempt when Sathya was little confident to perform. I am sure after playing the same over and over again, he will perform the same with more perfection.

Tks n brgds Krishnababu

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Good one.Keep it up Satya.
JBalaji

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Sathya

Is it possible to avoid hearing the discrete jump to sadharana gandhara altogether ? Varali has ONLY suddha gandhara, always oscillating but never quite reaching sadharana gandhara. So basically, if you're playing with the C key as Sa, you just need C, C# and D (oscillated with the pitch bender). Better to avoid D# completely if you can. Of course I don't understand the pitch bender well enough and maybe it is unavoidable.

Keep up the good work and best wishes

Uday

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Nice Satya..good work...Sam

tkb

Post by tkb »

Dear Sri Balaji, Sri Uday & Sri Sam,

I sincerely thank you for having taken your valuable time to hear the track of Sathya's varali krithi and also post reply for same.

As Mr Uday has mentioned, Sathya informs that he has just tried it for the first time to perform and will and bring out the nuances to his best in near future after practice. Sathya extends his sincere thanks to Sri Uday for having pointed out the necessary requirement for this raga and this indeed will be of great help for him to improvise on same.

Rgds Krishnababu
f/o Sathya

cienu

Post by cienu »

Dear TKB ,

Sathya is definitely talented. I appreciate his effort. Also you deserve credit for taking so much effort to bring your son's vidwat to the forefront!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Can we have all news about satya in a single thread in the vidwans section instead of starting new threads on each composition he learns etc?

googoo

Post by googoo »

<sarcasm>
wow! this is great ... can we have a daily update on how he's perfecting the krithi ... perhaps a live feed or a webcam would help!
</sarcasm>

cienu

Post by cienu »

Srkris,

I agree with you that we could have all postings on Sathya in a seperate thread in the vidwans's section.

Googoo,

The sarcasm is not in good taste and can hurt the feelings of the youngster. Kindly avoid.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Let Satya learn in peace and get better at his music every day while the grown ups can ease up on discussing him. He does not need or deserve unnecessary criticism or constant reporting on his learning of .every new piece...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I also agree that there are many threads discussing these things. Also we do not yet want a dedicated thread for young and up&comers in the Vidwan section since just a cursory look at the thread titles themselves can be quite intimidating to a youngster when put in that league. May be what we need is a thread under Sangeetha Kalalaya where those juniors who are seriously learning music ( as opposed to dabblers ) can post their sample recordings for feedback from rasikas.

I will leave this thread here for a day or two and if there are no objections, I will move this to the Sangeetha Kalalaya and change the thread title to be general so other students can post their samples as well. This thread is not for competitive purposes or for unnecessary and overt promotional purposes. Keep it for the purposes of getting valuable feedback from rasikas. Of course, be prepared for honey and brickbats, that is all part of the process. ;)

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

vasanthakokilam wrote:May be what we need is a thread under Sangeetha Kalalaya where those juniors who are seriously learning music ( as opposed to dabblers ) can post their sample recordings for feedback from rasikas.

I will leave this thread here for a day or two and if there are no objections, I will move this to the Sangeetha Kalalaya and change the thread title to be general so other students can post their samples as well. This thread is not for competitive purposes or for unnecessary and overt promotional purposes. Keep it for the purposes of getting valuable feedback from rasikas. Of course, be prepared for honey and brickbats, that is all part of the process. ;)
I second Vasnathakokilam :)

-Ramakriya

arasi

Post by arasi »

You come under the honey category :) Dabbler or seroius learner or vidvAn category, Ramakriya?
Seriously, VK has the right idea. Yes, in the Kalalaya Section, with a special category for serious junior learners (not with Dabblers). It would be nice if the feedbacks from rasikas are not cluttered up with long posts. This way, it would help the serious juniors to get feedback from rasikas other than their own kith and kin...
Last edited by arasi on 21 Nov 2007, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Yes, VK, you are right. Let us have a new thread under Sangeetha Kalalaya titled "Gurukulam"?!! :)
Last edited by Sam Swaminathan on 21 Nov 2007, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

But then what level rasikas can post there? :)

tkb

Post by tkb »

Dear Every one,

As both Sathya & myself informed that we would upload link for teh varali krithi in another thread, which subsequently was closed, I started a new topic. H/ever it is not my intentions to continue posting new krithis learnt by Sathya on a day to day basis in this forum. I am sure, his well wishers and people who wants to follow his career for various reasons will come to know of his concert in various forums and we leave it for them to attend, listen, comment how ever they want.

As said earlier Sathya is just 12 years and he is only attempting to bring in the nuances of CM on KB. If in case any one can suggest / comment, as Sri Uday had done in this thread, for its improvement we are always open to take it.

I for sure know he is just a kid and he will have to go a long in even calling himself as an artist. I sincerely thank every one who has taken time to listen to his track and also to post their views in this thread. I leave it to the moderators to do needful and assure you that at no point of time, I am looking at this forum as another avenue of PR activity.

Thanks n brgds Krishnababu
f/o Sathya
+ 91 94443 90193

mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

Just for info. sake, are we discussing about 'Keyboard Sathya', the keyboard wizard, or this is some other Sathya?. I have seen video clips of the former on youtube.com, and he seems to be famous already. I am guessing this must be not be him. Please clarify.

While the intention of getting feedback from fellow rasikas in order to improve is a noble one, I am not sure whether our opinion should be the basis for change, improvement, or any further action. Having him play in front of knowledgeable vidwans and getting their opinion might be the correct thing to do during Sathya's formative years. As Nedunuri Garu rightly says, " there is talent all around, but there needs to be a knowledgeable teacher who can point out and correct mistakes as and when they occur".
Last edited by mahesh_narayan on 21 Nov 2007, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

This is about "Keyboard Sathya". We can, as VK has suggested above, have this thread either in the Sangita Kalalaya section or in the Vidwans section, I prefer Kalalaya section since this is about learning/sharing knowledge of one's learning!?

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Here is one sample bhajan I recorded today.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1099801&t=1408

Your input will help me.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That was good Bhajan VK RAMAN!
It sounded to start with like bimplas but sounded different. When I analyzed it sounded as
Aro/Avaro gAyakamandini S R2 G3 M1 P D1 S-S D1 P M1 G3 R2 S a janya of Mararanjani, which is quite a rare raga. I know bhajans do not stick to classical ragas.

I would appreciate Arun to look over and confirm me. You too VK and Suji !
(He is at 3 kaTTai as per me)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

CML, It has been a while since I listened to gAyakamandini :P

It sounds like Karnataka Devagandari to me. ( in the idiom of Eppadi Padinaro )

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VK
No doubt KD (aka bimplas) is heard but he deviates a lot. Haridas is not a purist but an inspired bhajan singer! Could you hear the G3 (I cannot be sure unless Arun/Suji confirm :)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

without analyzing, all I hear is AbhEri....
now I'm not sure how gAyakamandini sounds- may be if one strays away from AbhEri?

beginner

Post by beginner »

BhImplAs is having arO same as abhEri but avarohanam is without Rishabham (sa ni dha pa ma ga sa) and this really distinguishes one from the other. The kritis attributed to bhimplas are : (1) vellai thAmarai (2) gAnam pozhivAn kaNNan madhura.

Ahiri

Post by Ahiri »

Is the position in which an artiste plays the keyboard, safe for the back ?

i know this doubt is quite off key here
but my concern is sincere.

All the very best Sathya !!

mohan

Post by mohan »

Ahiri - bad posture while playing any instrument can be detrimental for the back/shoulders, etc. When I play the keyboard I sit on a small cushion to raise my self a little higher so that my hands can sit on the keys comfortably. Even still, I do get a sore shoulder occasionally after playing for long periods. Good stretching, yoga and the like can reduce the risk of strains and injury.

tkb

Post by tkb »

Ahiri & Mohan,

As iti is Sathya has not reported any problems, may be he is too yong. I did check with him today on seeing your post and he is comfortable right now. Any fedback on this will be taken for his good.