amarasindhu

Rāga related discussions
SrinathK

amarasindhu

Post by SrinathK »

From what I've heard, the rAgA scale goes like so :
Aro : S G3 R3 G3 P D2 S
Avaro : S N2 D2 P G3 R3 S

Despite this, an isolated NS phrase is also possible, as is DND and DSND (the gamakas in any rAgA allow more non linearity than is possible with swaras alone). The R3 makes it a vivAdi rAgA.

It could be placed under vAgadeeshwari or nAsikabhUshaNi as it lacks the madhyamam, but it sounds too much like Dikshitar's nAsAmaNi (asampoorNa equivalent of nAsikabhUshaNi) that I'd probably put it closer to that one. Loosing the madhyama allowing for some GPDN phrases gives it a distinct valaji flavour as well.

Thanks to an autogenerated recording by Youtube, I was able to stumble across a composition in it -- This composition is the creation of the grandfather of the Akkarai sisters, Sh. Suchindram Shri S P Sivasubramaniam, a self taught multifaced genius. https://akkarai.in/family/SPS.html -- he should get his entry in the vaggeyakaras section if not there already...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1MpkL65dKE

It's a beauty. The vivAdi R3 is like a soothing massage at the end of a tiring day in these ragas.
Last edited by SrinathK on 04 Jun 2019, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Re: amarasindhu

Post by Lakshman »

Srinath: I am doubtful if it was created by Suchindram Shivasubramaniam.
Annamacharya has 25 songs in this rAgA.

SrinathK

Re: amarasindhu

Post by SrinathK »

Lakshman wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 01:07 Srinath: I am doubtful if it was created by Suchindram Shivasubramaniam.
Annamacharya has 25 songs in this rAgA.
Thanks for the info. I have edited my post. With Annamacharya's original music lost to time, and the fact that this is a vivAdi rAgA with a lot of modern prayogas, let me confirm the next time I meet the Akkarai sisters as to whether this amarasindhu is an old rAgA or a creation of their grandfather.

Anyone else can inform?