Madras to Chennai

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
jayaram

Post by jayaram »

http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/mp/200 ... 010100.htm
Interesting article on the evolution of Madras on the music front

Excerpt:
So, it was just a matter of time before their inevitable tryst with the city's vibrant Carnatic music tradition. "We did the unthinkable then, and introduced rock and jazz to the sabhas, — a crossover fusion of sorts," says Suresh, adding that the only reason they got away with it was because of the city's encouraging music critics.

Does anyone know in which sabha/s this 'fusion' happened?
Last edited by jayaram on 28 May 2007, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nice read, Jayaram.
What do you know! There are many musicians out there that we have no idea about. I did not know Chennai was active for decades with music other than the classical and cinematic.
I like what he says about fusion music--that it is not about consciously 'welding' together two or more genres. It isn't about mixing and blendig. It is something that happens naturally--and I agree.
I do not know how the brothers sound. At least, the musician's thoughts and experience interest me. 'Patch work' fusion efforts put me off. If music draws talented musicians from various parts of the world to work together and the effort happens to be a result of love for music and a quest for finding other territories, then, I am all ears...

cacm

Post by cacm »

Fusion in Chennai is mostly JUNK & a way for incompetent carnatic musicians to make a living unless its a U.Srinivas, L.subramaniam , Vikku Vinayakaram & persons of this calibre of which there currently exist less than a handful!...However they make a good living! somewhat analogous to succeeding in Free Enterprise; its a free market & who are we to complain about it?....VKV

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

... Not just in Chennai :(

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The infusion of fusion at Chennai has resulted only in confusion rather than the intended diffusion of CM :)

meena

Post by meena »

DELETED

:rolleyes:
Last edited by meena on 07 May 2008, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Every time I watch that Morning Raga thing, it creates in me opposite feelings, sometimes simultaneously: Cringe-worthy and Goosebump-worthy...