Carnatic Greats and Playing Cards

Carnatic Musicians
Rsachi

Carnatic Greats and Playing Cards

Post by Rsachi »

Blame it on the FB request I received this morning from an American friend to engage in a multi-player card game. Or the Kurai Ondrum Illai episode which mentioned that Semmangudi stoked the passion for Kambhoji in Amma simultaneously as he instilled the passion for Knaves and Jokers in Mama. Or this morning's lovely "One and Only Somu" broadcast on 100.1FM based on a Kalakendra Audio CD with Kuvalayabharana etc.

I feel the culturally megapaedic world of Carnatic music as well as our enduring passion for our musical greats lends itself to a reductionist theory of associating each persona with a power card in the deck. A long-reigning diamond-studded male star would be a King or Prince. Or an assiduously cultivated persona of a female star or diva(/s) would be queen/s (we call Her Srichakra Rajarajeshwari). A quintessential musician's musician or someone who is remembered for his music rather than his biopic would be an Ace. A great musician, without such a remarkable "sense of character", would be a Jack. A jack, or ace, could also be sometimes a Joker, with a predominant element of humour in their presentation - example MDR or Somu or Kunnukudi.

So think of the current or all-time greats and one of these cards will readily suggest itself. Of course, depending on your "craze" for the artiste, you may think up a combination of cards or even change the card over time. There is nothing hard and fast, but the card is a nice way to embody the association.

The next chapter would then be for a musician to think up, as much objectively as humanly possible, whether she would be a queen of diamonds (more glitz than gravitas), an absolute Ace of Spades (the undisputed master of the Carnatic idiom as enshrined in the Trinity), a King of Clubs (a bit exclusive in repertoire, like the Go-to person for Dikshitar or Swathi or Annamayya), or a Queen of Hearts (the most endearing mega personality of our music, with a timeless charm that goes beyond music itself)....

Nobody wants to be a Joker. But remember, the world has just been Trumped. And even Obama is now singing his Anthem.

There is also a card game where a Jack is the most powerful card, and when dealt, can alter the course of the game forever. Shouldn't we be grateful for the ever-dependable accompanists who can lift the game in a big way, time and again?

If you are upset with this imagery, this line of reductionism, blame it, as I did in the beginning, on what I read, saw, and heard, recently. Only an inveterate card player will have the enduring passion for cards like we have for our Carnatic greats :D

kvchellappa

Re: Carnatic Greats and Playing Cards

Post by kvchellappa »

Whoever invented the card game bridge is a genius. It has all there is in a dummy as it were that life and management need. The element of uncertainty, no choice over what is dealt to you, but space and scope to shape your destiny in the world of competition and cunning, talent and errors. You win as much as you lose when faced with tough opponents. It gives no pleasure to have a walkover on weak ones.
Music may also draw from it, I am not sure rummy has real lessons, which SSI played I think.
It will be interesting if it is discussed how to assign human (musical in this context) values to the different cards. Where do the rasikas fit in? They cannt be outside the pack!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Should this not be in General?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sir, you have just tried to extend my special theory to the general theory. But my focus was on artistes.
Where do rasikas fit in? As a concept we are all the non-picture cards. 2-10 in each suite.

Yes, Bridge. More colourful, more social, and less tan than golf.

varsha

Post by varsha »

I read your post while I was listening to this ( only a slice here )
http://www.mediafire.com/file/m3bo2z9558y8d9d/1.mp3
And it struck me :

How similar is exultation of the Pakhawaj Maestro here , to the glee with which the winner of a rummy hand goes about collecting the cards and dealing again .
I used to have a photograph of Musri laying out the cards alone , playing solitaire.
Cant find it though.
In my childhood I accompanied uncles in my small town to late night concerts or card sessions.Equally exciting . The card sessions used to shift base everytime the local police guys got a whiff .But not the music . I thought I had seen it all until I got a friend from the Kumbakonam belt who had similarly watched 100 Rs/point soirees among zamindars . One of whom was a famous Carnatic Music fan / Politician too.
This card business is an Art as well.
Have to watch The Cincinatti Kid again :)