Need help in raga identification

Rāga related discussions
Meenalochani

Need help in raga identification

Post by Meenalochani »

Please help me with the identification of raga of the Ashtapadi "Chandana Charchita". The Youtube link is given below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlAdBPoU5MQ

Thank you,

Meenalochani

Rsachi

Re: Need help in raga identification

Post by Rsachi »

The first one minute is spent by Yesudas singing a shloka from Narayaneeyam in the raga Hindustani Kapi.
The song is sung in a raga called Vasanthi.

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

Rsachi Sir,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Could you give me more details about Vasanthi ragam (Arohana, Avarohana etc.)?

Meenalochani

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

Rsachi Sir,

I googled for information about Vasanthi raga and I am not convinced that Chandana Charchita is sung in Vasanthi ragam. It sounds a little bit like Mohana raga. There is a much better version of the song rendered by Unnikrishnan but in an album on Youtube.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

These are the versions of vAsanti.

vasanti--11--S R G P N S--S N P G R S--rp--N
vasanti--16--S M D N S--S N D P M G P M R S--rp--SU
vasanti--27--S N D N S--S N D P M G P M R S--rp--SU
vAsanti--27--S R G P D S--S D P G R S--p--TAS

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Meenalochani
You're right. The tune is mostly based on Mohana or Hindustani raga Bhoop. But there are other swaras thrown in for colour. Listen to the instruments from 3:00 to 3:20.
I now feel it is closer to Janasammodini which is as a scale Mohana with N2 added, rather than Vasanthi which has D1 instead of D2. So please note the new raga diagnosis :)

About the three raga scales:
Mohana . . . . . . . .S R2 G3 P D2 S. S D2 P G3 R2 S
Janasammodini S R2 G3 P D2 N2 S. S N2 D2 P G3 R2 S
Vasanthi. . . . . . . S R2 G3 P D1 S. S D1 P G3 R2 S

Just one note N2 added to Mohana in one case, one note changed in the other D2->D1.

You can listen to Janasammodini here:
https://youtu.be/gFcl4ReZR-8

One caveat is that in the original song, the raga used stresses the notes in a scalar way (as if it is played on a keyboard) but classical renderings always have glides and not just notes and emphasis on jiva swaras etc. So we need to take raga names in filmy music with a pinch of salt always.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Lakshman-ji
Thank you.

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

Rsachi Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write so much useful information in your post. I am very much interested in learning to sing this melodious song and knowing the raga details will be quite helpful. In fact I am giving a Youtube link below of the song rendered by P. Unnikrishnan in the same raga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqV92khdeeA

Lakshman Sir,
Thank you very much for information about different versions of Vasanthi raga. By the way, do you happen to have the notations for the song in the raga I am interested in?