Lyrics, Notations, Meaning- Thaa Thai Endru Aaduvas

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
norita

Post by norita »

I have heard Nityashree's rendition of this song Thaa Thai Endru Aaduvar - Avar Tha Dhith Thai Endru Aaduvar... composition of Gopalakrishna Bharati.
I am learning it from the CD but I would appreciate if one of you, rasikas, could provide the correct Lyrics, Notations, Translation please.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

tA tai enrADuvAr. rAgA: dEshyatODi / tODi. Adi tALA.

P: tA tai enrADuvAr avar tattittai enrADuvAr
A: Adi parAparam Aghiya cittu Anandam koNDoru kAlai eDuttut-
C1: aNDa carAcarm engum naDUnga AdisEDanAr muDigaL nerungat-
2: shIlam perugiya munivar koNDADat-tingaLai shUDiya shen shaDai ADat-
3: pArppugazhum tillai cidmbara nAthan bAlakrSNan paNindEttiya pAdan

arasi

Post by arasi »

Lakshman,
Is it GKB or Papanasam Sivan who composed it?
Last edited by arasi on 25 Apr 2007, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It is by GKB. The mudra is in caraNa 3 - ... bAlakrSNan paNindEttiya ...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, L...

norita

Post by norita »

Thanks so much, Mr. Lakshman. May I please have the notations and translation to the song?
(norita503@yahoo.com)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Norita: If I had the notation I would have sent it to you by now.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

tA tai enrADuvAr avar tattittai enrADuvAr
This line does not need translation. It simply means "He will dance tA tai, ta ti tai"

Adi parAparam Aghiya cittu Anandam koNDoru kAlai eDuttut-
One who is the primordial God (who is absolute) lifts his leg and dances happily.

aNDa carAcaram engum naDunga AdisEDanAr muDigaL nerungat-
The whole universe shakes, the heads of AdisEshan tremble,

shIlam perugiya munivar koNDADat-tingaLai shUDiya shen shaDai ADat-
The noble sages celebrate the occasion, and the moon adorned matted locks dance

pAr pugazhum tillai cidambara nAthan bAlakrSNan paNindEttiya pAdan
The Lord of tillai (Cidambaram) who is praised by all and whose feet are worshipped by Gopalakrishna (Bharathi).

Note: bAlakrishNan is the mudra of GKB
Last edited by mahakavi on 26 Apr 2007, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mahakavi,
As 'anDa charAcharam engum naDunga' (shake, tremble), 'Adi sEshanAr muDigaL nerunga' seems as though it would mean--the spread out heads of Adi sEshan get closer in rapt attention (??) nerunga is to get near.

Note noted!
Last edited by arasi on 26 Apr 2007, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

I was slightly hesitant when I wrote "tremble" as the meaning for "nerunga'. Normally "nerunga' means "move closer". But I wondered whether Adi sEshan was getting crushed by the tremor (if Adi sEshan really bears the earth on its head) that was caused by the dance of shivA and hence I used the expression "tremble" due to the shock.

Now, we all know that the snake does not have external ears. The vibrations are transmitted through the skin and muscle into the so-called "earbone" on each side of the head to be finally processed by the brain. If Adi sEshan has 1000 heads as supposed, it will have an infinite capacity to do parallel processing of the sound. Should the heads come close in order to do that more efficiently? I don't know. It would not amount to serial processing since they would not be serially connected even if they come close together. I know I am stretching a poetic expression into the scientific realm but then....

arasi

Post by arasi »

Going along with your idea, ALL the thousand heads heeding to the sound of the dance (after all, composers don't happen to be scientists as well--think of the expression pAmbuch chevi (keen hearing)--the imagery minded poet (composer) SEES it as a thousand heads with that many ears paying rapt attention...??

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

arasi wrote:Going along with your idea, ALL the thousand heads heeding to the sound of the dance (after all, composers don't happen to be scientists as well--think of the expression pAmbuch chevi (keen hearing)--the imagery minded poet (composer) SEES it as a thousand heads with that many ears paying rapt attention...??
Here is an interesting article Snakes are deaf - Said Science

norita

Post by norita »

Thank you all for your very valuable input.