ksiyer

Post by ksiyer »

dear all,

can u pl enlighten raga 'PAHADI' and some krithis on the same

ksiyer

kutty

Post by kutty »

Dear Iyer

The very name suggests that it belongs to the mountainous region (Pahaad=mountain) and is a Hindhusthaani Raagaa. Normally this raagaa is famous in the Himalayaa regions, Kulu-Manaali in the folk music and even you can hear this in some famous Hindhi Film songs/TV serials.

According to Shri B Subba Rao in his book Raganidhi:

" It is a very pleasing one. It is a favourite of Maharashtra stage music. It belongs to Bilaval That (Dheera Shankarabharana). Its jati is Audava-Sampoorna. "Ma" and "Ni" are omitted in aroha. The Aroha and Avaroha of this raagaa are:
__
Sa Ri Ga Pa Dha Sa |

Ni Dha Pa Ga Ma Ga Ri Sa Ni Dha Pa Dha Sa||
_ __ __ __ __

Swaraas used are all Shudhdha Swaraas of Hindhusthaani Sangeet Sangeeth. Shudhdha "Ma" is even avoided. Sometimes even Theevra "Ma" is touched for ranjakatva when it sounds like Bhoop Kalyaan. "Ni" is unimportant.

Pakad or "Raaga Vachak" Swaraa groups are:

Ga GaRi GaPaGaRi Sa..Ni Dha Pa Dha Sa |
_ __ __ ___

Vaadhi is "Sa" and Samvaadhi is "Pa". Sung all times. Expansion or visthaar of this raagaa is pleasing in mandhraa or madhya sapthaks. It is appealing when sung in madhyama sruthi (sur).
"Dha" in mandhra sthaayi has great beauty in this raaga. "Ga" although not Vaadhi, is of great importance.

Prominence to mandhra "Dha" distinguishes Pahadi from raagaas like Bhoop, Dheshkar, and Shudhdha Kalyaan. This raagaa depicts Shrunkaara Rasa. Not a high class one but fit for light music.

"Kashi ya Thyaaju Padaalaa" (Marathi stage song from "Rukmini Swayamvar) and "Murali Madhura Dhuna" - Theen Thaal (Madhya) are composed in this raaga.

This raaga has no equivalent in the Carnatic Music. It has however become popular in the south. The Carnatic Raaga "Padi" ( a janya of the 15th melakarthaa Maayaamaalava Goula) has no resemblance th Pahadi but to "Jogia" another H.Raagaa to some extent. Mohana Kalyaani is allied to Pahadi. In Mohana Kalyaani in avaroha Prati "Ma" is touched whereas in Pahadi mostly Shudhdha "Ma" is tpouched. "

I advise you to visit http://carnatica.net (Composition ank" where you can find reference to a kriti in this raaga by Shyaamaa Shaasthri. It is " Trilokamata in Paras Adi / Misra Chapu " whose lyric in the forms of Text. English pdf or Sanskrit pdf you can get.

The raaga is nice to hear if played in flute.

I now hand over to knowledgable person like Mr Coolkarni to throw more light on this raaga and to upload clipping if available.

Regards

Kutty

kutty

Post by kutty »

Dear Iyer

In continuation to my above reply, I would like to mention that in a hurry, I have quoted the "Paras or Paraju" Kriti of Shyama Shasthri for "Pahaadi" Raagaa for which I am sorry for the inconvenience. To my knowledge, there is no Thamizh krithi or for that matter any krithi in the south Indian languages in Pahaadi raagaa. If I come across any I will post it.

Regards

Kutty

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have over 20 song titles listed in this rAgA, many by the Dasas. Lalgudi Jayaraman and S.Kalyanaraman have composed tillAnAs.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

... and there is a nice rendering of the Lalgudi Thillana by Maharajapuram santhanam!

kutty

Post by kutty »

It is heartening to note from our dear LR that there are many compositions in this raagaa. We shall be grateful Mr Lakshman if you kindly upload a few , if not all songs and thillaanaas as well as audio clipping to understand the niceties. nuances and melody of this raaga.

I am also grateful to CML for the info provided and if possible kindly upload the rendering of the LGJ's thillaanaa by MVS.

Kutty

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I did not say I had the audio clippings - just the listings. I amy be able to provide lyrics for some of them but I am not sure if I have any of the audio clippings but I'll look.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

kutty

Post by kutty »

Dear Lakshman

Excuse me for the eulogy but I cannot avoid as you deserve. Valmiki says that there can be only one Raama-RaavaNa Yudhdhaa which I want to extend to you by stating that there can be only one Lakshman in so far as CM is concerned. Kudos. Pl keep it up.

Regards

Kutty

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

tillAnA in pahaDi and played by him is at:
http://64.172.183.225/netjuke/search.ph ... 38&sort=rg

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I forgot to mention that you have to register for a free membership and then click on Lalgudi Jayaraman under Artists.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear Lakshman

The Thillana is listed as 'Paadi' which is an entirely different raga (Janya of MMG) whereas Pahadi (Janya of Bilavel (Shankarabharanam)). Could you clarify?

kutty

Post by kutty »

Thanks a lot Lakshman

Regards

Srinivasan

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

musicindiaonline is notorious for errors and this is one of them. Lalgudi has not composed any tillAnAs in paadi rAgA.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sorry, this clip is from nada anuboothi site and it also has some errors in labeling.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

You are right!
The raga sounds Pahadi only :D

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

here is a clip from a mlv concert, in pahadi
Download-Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/2335863/Shar ... i.mp3.html

Andolika

Post by Andolika »

Pardon me Sri Lakshmanji, but this sounds more like
Hyderabad Brothers than S Kalyanaraman. Can you
confirm?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I will check on this and post the information.

kannan

Post by kannan »

That was a very good catch Andolika! It does sound a lot like the Hyderabad Brother :cheesy:

kannan

Post by kannan »

Also, Sri Kulkarni, is the old Hindi film song "chaudhavIn kA chAnd hO" based on pahADi?

Thanks,
Kannan

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yes kannan! That is what the Hindi music site claimed as does Rajan Parikkar!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

kannan
this should give you a fair idea.

01-Aaj ki raat mere dilki.mp3
02-Chahoga main Tughe.mp3
03-Chalo dildar chalo.mp3
04-Choudvein Ka Chand.mp3
05-Do Sitaron Ka Zameen Par.mp3
06-Karvate Badalte.mp3
07-Kabhi Kabhi.MP3
08-Jo Vada Kiya Ho.mp3
09-Rula Ke Gaya Sapna.mp3
10-Phoolon Ke Rang Se.mp3
11-O Door Ke Musafir.mp3
12-Neela Asman So Gaya.mp3
13-Tasvir banata hun khuna Jigarse.mp3
14-Wah Kaun Hain Thera.mp3
15-Suhani Raat Dhal Chuki.mp3
16-Savan ka mahina.mp3
17-Savan ke jhoole.mp3
18-Rahe Na Rahe Ham.mp3
19-Mushkil Hai.mp3
20-Maine Rang Li.mp3
21-Janewalo Zara.mp3
22-Jane Kya Dhoondthi.mp3
23-Isharon Isharaon.mp3
24-Aage Bhi Jane Na Tu - Waqt.mp3
25-Chal Udja Re Panchi.mp3
26-Sakhee Ri Mera Man.mp3
27- Javan hai muhabbat.MP3
28- Chori chori.MP3
29- Yeh dil aur un ke.MP3
30- Lag ja gale se.MP3

kannan

Post by kannan »

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't recognize anything other than 4) :cry: My mother used to like Mohd. Rafi's singing in general and this song in particular

Thanks again for confirming that the old song is in Pahadi too.. The Lalgudi Tillana (as usual) seems to have captured the essence of the raga very well.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

coolkarni

Though still incomplete permit me to add:

Yesudas's (which catapulted him to North)
Gori Tera gaaven bada (chitchor)
and the ever so popular Lata's
Brindavan ka krishna kanhaiya..(Miss Mary)
which also was outrageously popular in Tamil
Brindavanamum Nandakumaaranum yavarukkum podhu selvamanRo (Missiyamma)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Andolika: You are right about the pahaDi tillAnA. It is a composition of SK but sung by Hyderabad Brothers. Sorry for posting the incorrect information. Thanks for pointing it out.

kannan

Post by kannan »

Lakshman-ji ..I just wanted to verify if the tillAnA is indeed by SK. It sounds very much like a LGJ tillAnA. I also checked (googled) and found http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/3/s/composer.304/

The recording by U.Srinivas is the same tillAnA (or atleast I think so :D )Of course musicindiaonline is often wrong about things but the whole series seems to be about LGJ so there might be a chance it might indeed be LGJ

Thanks,
Kannan

kannan

Post by kannan »

Kulkarniji: I heard from someone that BGAK used to sing "Hari Om Tat Sat" in pahADi. I was wondering if you had any excerpts of that which are not commercial

Thanks,
Kannan

abadri

Post by abadri »

Kannan,

Here's a download link to the version that Shri Rajan Parrikar has uploaded as part of his write-up on Bhoopali/Deshkar/Pahadi [rapidshare link deleted]

Here's the link for the full article
http://www.sawf.org/newedit/edit08052002/musicarts.asp

Hope that helps!

kannan

Post by kannan »

Thanks! This is an awesome forum :D

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

badri..kannan
thanks.HM is clutching at the last straws on this forum
here is a very very precious HOME RECORDING.
A Pristine Pahadi .very relaxed....

http://rapidshare.de/files/3276025/BGAK-Pahadi.mp3.html :lol: :lol:

divakar

Post by divakar »

wow! kulkarniji.. super..
thanks for the home recording of BGAK.. precious indeed.
who is the second voice ? his son?
about 5:30 in the clip ... (dont know what its called in HM) tArAsthAyi is extremely beautiful.

happy hours! got the earlier ones too..

the MLV clip of pahADi is a purandaradasa kriti which this site says is set in madhyamAvati rAgam.

she sings the first and third caraNam of this kriti, but the first caraNam that she sings is not exactly the same text.

http://musicalnirvana.com/script/show_l ... x?id=37295

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

divakar
yes that was his son-munawar ali khan.

divakar

Post by divakar »

thanks.
informal renditions have a different flavor. thanks for sharing.

kannan

Post by kannan »

A big thanks from me too Kulkarniji. Haven't heard it yet but I have something huge to look forward to tomorrow for getting up :D

I came to know BGAK through your postings here and what a discovery it has been! Raw music (i.e largely lyricless) music has never affected me so deeply before. One of his recordings that you posted here has been so deeply imprinted in my head that it seems like that I am able to even remember the AdhAra shruti at which he sings in that recording! This has never happened before for me.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

kannan

that is the value of this forum.TO ALL OF US.
Can you believe that in these days when we are bickering over the meanings of secularism, here was a Muslim singer who mostly sung compositions on Hindu Gods -Mahadev Sree Sankar,Hari Om tatsath..-
Why he even chose to settle down in India after the partition, rather than Pakisthan.

Some day we should discuss this singer in more detail.

Ecstacy

Post by Ecstacy »

Here is a tillAnA in pahadi by Sri Lalgudi G Jayaraman

http://rapidshare.de/files/8101076/08_Pahadi.m4a.html