Mridangam for kids?

To teach and learn Indian classical music
ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Does the mRdanga come in different sizes like the violin for younger learners? Or does it follow One size -fits all strategy :lol: ?

And any idea how much a mRdanga might cost? Well, I have see the amazon.com and ebay prices ;) But I want to know the real price for a student version of the instrument as sold in India.

Please post your suggestions/experience for buying a Mridanga @bengalooru or maisooru.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 11 Apr 2007, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

If you are serious about your child learning mrudangam properly, then better to start with a proper, full size mrudangam. The higher sruthi mrudangams are slightly smaller and may be suitable.

If this is just for fun, even smaller mrudangams are available (for non-serious play) at music shops like murali music, saptaswara (these are in chennai, i dont know the equivalent in bangalore/mysore).

Proper well-made mrudangams can cost upwards of Rs. 4000.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Ramakriya,
Just got a 18 " Mridamgam from Mysore recently.
It costed Rs 4000
The address is:
Lakshmi Musicals
Shivarampet
Behind Raj Kamal talkies
Mysore.

A full size mridamgam- 22" ? might be big for kids- Offcourse depends on the age of the kid.
The teacher suggested fiberglass one which is light weight, but I could not get in Mysore, so got a regular one.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thanks Suji Ram and Sankirnam for the info.

-Ramakriya