Shuddha Saveri

Rāga related discussions
mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

I have started this thread on this majestic raga with the hope that somebody will post links to rare gems like Lakshanamulu Gala and Devakriya/Shuddha Saveri kritis of Dikshitar.

My personal favorites are the popular Darini Telusukonti and Poochi Iyengar's Samajavarada. I have heard TKR/Nedunuri/MMI sing raga alapanas of this raga, but yet to hear present day musicians elaborately handle this raga.

My guru taught me Ekamreshanayike in Karnataka Shuddha Saveri, but I believe there is also a version in Shuddha Saveri. More info/discussion/education on this raga welcome !!!.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~murthy/0 ... 0.12.2006/

You can find Sri guruguha by DKP here.

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

is sudha saaveri similar to raaga durga of HM?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Another one of my favorites--Ambujam Krishna's gudiththODi vArAy guhanE! (from Geethamala volume one, tuned by V.V.Sadagopan).The chiTTAswaram is full of life...

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

arasi wrote:Ambujam Krishna's gudiththODi vArAy guhanE! The chiTTAswaram is full of life...
I haven't heard this one. Do you have a recording?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sorry, Ksrimech, but I do have the lyrics. this song is set to Adi tAlam.

pallavi: guthiththODI vARAi guhanE, muruganE!
pAdAmbuja semboR SilambolikkavE

anupallavi: nidhi nIyE ena ninaindiDum en mun
madi mugam kATTa magizhvuDan thuLLiyE

charaNam: veLLI malai Ishan iDa bAgam vaiththa
kiLLai mozhiyAL sivakAmi manam
koLLai koNDA kumaraiyanE (manam) (unai)
aLLi aNAindiDa Asai koNDEnE

chiTTA swaram

* da sA-ri ma pa da SA- ma pa da sA :
da pa - dA pa ma - pA : ma ri - mA ri sa - rI ::
; * sA sa ma - ri pa ma da pa Sa - da Ri - dA :
Sa Ri Ma RI Sa - SA : da - dA pa- pA ma=ma::
ri . . * (guthithODi sa sA rI ma)

Apologies for not being proficient in notating. This is just to give you an idea...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi,
Thanks for those lyrics - deceptively simple, yet fantastically eloquent!
kiLLai mozhiyAL - reminds me of GKB's 'taTTai mozhi SivakAmi maNALan' or Papanasam Sivan's 'alaimagaL, kalaimagaL paNi kIravANI'
:)

divakar

Post by divakar »

humdinger wrote:is sudha saaveri similar to raaga durga of HM?
http://www.rso.cornell.edu/spicmacay/sp ... /raga.html

paddu

Post by paddu »

humdinger wrote:is sudha saaveri similar to raaga durga of HM?
Yes, it is equivalent to Raga Durga.

I am not sure if this is a copy right material. Moderators, kindly remove this link if it is so.

One really beautiful piece

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fjhvid

I remember reading some where as Raaga Durg? Are Raaga Durg and Durga one and the same?

Thanks
Paddu

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

thanks divakar and paddu

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.badongo.com/file/2714901

rtp-by ksg-kanyakumari-guruvayoor dorai

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Two gems from MLV

http://www.badongo.com/file/2715067
03-Sadasivakumara-Suddasaveri

http://www.badongo.com/file/2715366
04-Sri_Vatukanatha-Sudda_Saveri

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

coolkarni wrote:Two gems from MLV

http://www.badongo.com/file/2715067
03-Sadasivakumara-Suddasaveri

http://www.badongo.com/file/2715366
04-Sri_Vatukanatha-Sudda_Saveri
Thanks Coolkarni for these elaborate Suddha sAvEri. It's great!

I always would confuse it for Arabhi with shades of madhyamavati. I would hum the gItam AnalEkara to check.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Thank you Queen.

prashant

Post by prashant »

A version of ekAmbrEshanAyikE in shuddha sAvEri would not be appropriate, IMO, since MD has already clearly defined shuddha sAvEri as dEvakriyA in his nomenclature...?

I have heard someone at a private session singing this shuddha sAvEri 'version' and it sounded atrocious to my ears [perhaps because I am so conditioned to the popular DKJ renditions :-)].

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

This is blasphemy. Another misguided attempt to "Standardize" all of CM to tyAgarAja's format (God knows if indeed it is)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I like taayE tripurasundari by periaswamy tooran the most. IMHO, this rAgam to me is a scholarly rAgam and very challenging for an artist to present.

On a side note every time I identify this rAgam as Arabi in first iteration, then it takes few more minutes to identify as sudda sAveri. Don't know why?? Only once I identified this rAgam as sudda sAveri,without getting into arAbi .That was a very recent vijayashiva concert when he sang taayE tripurasundari, possibly explaining vijayashiva's merit .
Last edited by rajeshnat on 11 Apr 2007, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

V_ANNASAMY

Post by V_ANNASAMY »

Pa ma ri sa ri ma prayoga in Suddha Saveri ; Straightaway flat pa ma ri sa

Pa maga(ma, ga very closely) ra sa ri - special emphasis for arabhi prayog

can distinguish these ragas its identity.

prashant

Post by prashant »

drshrikaanth wrote:This is blasphemy. Another misguided attempt to "Standardize" all of CM to tyAgarAja's format (God knows if indeed it is)
I couldn't agree more, DRS. Spoils the mood of a grand krithi.

Among MD's krithis I love shri vATukanAtha. The line 'kAla kAla bhairava brahma kapAla shUladhara' is sung so beautifully by the MLV school with the word 'brahma' touching the dhaivatam to such emotive effect. sandhyA dEvIm is another brisk and beautiful one. shri guruguha is of course well known. In the pATantara I have learnt, the line 'surapati shrIpati' is sung in 3 speeds. I have never heard madhurAmbA or lalitAmbikAm.
Last edited by prashant on 12 Apr 2007, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

prashant wrote:Also, shri vATukanAtha in dEvakriyA is one of the few MD krithis not to have a madhyamakAlA passage. The only other one I could think of is kshitijA ramaNam CintayE.
But it does doesnt it? (SrI vaTukanAtha)

prashant

Post by prashant »

No DRS Sir it doesn't. I just listened to Sudha's recording [CMANA 2003] and there's no madhyamakAlA passage in the song.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Paddu,
Thank you for such a beautiful Durga. To quote Saroja Ramnujam, 'I was transported to the clouds' (and thank God, brought back promptly!)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cool,
First, an appetizer, then a treat. MahA Lovely VidUshi's double treat from dhAthA...
Last edited by arasi on 11 Apr 2007, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Prashant
Here is why I raised the doubts. The song as it starts has 4mAtre counts or a maximum of 5 per Avarta of miSrachApu tALa. This is certainly the case with nearly all miSrachApu kRtis of MD and many other composers. On a sidenote, thats why miSrachApu kRtis have the majesty and poise and qualify for the "viLamba" status.

Coming back to this kRti, when you come to the end of the anupallavi (bhUvalaya rakShaNa vicakShaNa bhUta bhEtALAdi rakSaNa) and caraNa (nIlakaNTha subAla guruguha lOla lIlAjAla pAlaya) the sAhitya starts running to exactly 7 mAtre counts per Avarta. this is nearly double of what happens in the usual pace of the kRti as it starts. This works just like madhyamakAlasAhitya. To all purposes it seems just that. The same is the case with akShayalingavibhO in SankarAbharaNa.

MD has experimented a lot in this matter. Take the 1st AvaraNa kRti in Anandabhairavi (kamalAmbA samrakShatu mAm) and you have all 3 kAlas in it. Take SrIbAlasubrahmaNyAgachha in bilahari and you have 14 mAtres per Avarta of miSrachApu. But you will also notice that the krti in its opening and for the most part has 5 to 6 mAtres per Avarta. (4 also at times). So just puting 7 mAtres per Avarta would not bring out the contrast between the sama kAla and madhyamakAla in that kRti.

prashant

Post by prashant »

That's an interesting observation DRS Sir - let me go back and listen keeping this in mind. I have no doubt you are right. Will post as soon as I do it!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

drshrikaanth wrote:Prashant
Here is why I raised the doubts. The song as it starts has 4mAtre counts or a maximum of 5 per Avarta of miSrachApu tALa. This is certainly the case with nearly all miSrachApu kRtis of MD and many other composers. On a sidenote, thats why miSrachApu kRtis have the majesty and poise and qualify for the "viLamba" status.
But aren't all the so-called miSra CApu kRtis of dIkshitar actually triSra tripuTa or miSra Eka?

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 11 Apr 2007, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ramakriya wrote:But aren't all the so-called miSra CApu kRtis of dIkshitar actually triSra tripuTa or miSra Eka?
-Ramakriya
Call them what you will. The akShara count and the relative contrast does not change.

prashant

Post by prashant »

drshrikaanth wrote:Prashant
The song as it starts has 4mAtre counts or a maximum of 5 per Avarta of miSrachApu tALa.
DRS Sir - I am not able to understand this correctly, I think. Could you please explain this by using the first line of the song?

For example, this is how I understand it:

1 Avarta

shri = 5
va = 2
=7

2nd Avarta

tu = 1
ka = 2
nA = 2
tha = 2
=7
drshrikaanth wrote:Coming back to this kRti, when you come to the end of the anupallavi (bhUvalaya rakShaNa vicakShaNa bhUta bhEtALAdi rakSaNa) and caraNa (nIlakaNTha subAla guruguha lOla lIlAjAla pAlaya) the sAhitya starts running to exactly 7 mAtre counts per Avarta. this is nearly double of what happens in the usual pace of the kRti as it starts. This works just like madhyamakAlasAhitya. To all purposes it seems just that. The same is the case with akShayalingavibhO in SankarAbharaNa.
If I am understanding you correctly, there are more words [effectively double the number of words] per avartanam of miSrachApu? So you are right! It is equivalent to a madhyamakala. Thanks for pointing it out. I will correct my post above.

I think I got confused because the passages quoted above don't seem to really 'stand out' from the rest of the song. Dikshitar madhyamakala pieces to my ear come in a point/counterpoint basis. i.e. the anupallavi/charanam/samashti charanam will have a theme and the madhyamakala will sum it up or bring in a counterpoint to that theme. At least musically, this doesn't seem to work that way...?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

prashant wrote:DRS Sir - I am not able to understand this correctly, I think. Could you please explain this by using the first line of the song?

For example, this is how I understand it:

1 Avarta

shri = 5
va = 2
=7

2nd Avarta

tu = 1
ka = 2
nA = 2
tha = 2
=7
I am talking of the words and syllable distribution here. No doubt your mAtre/akShara count is correct musically. But talking of the words SrI= 2 mAtres (guru or dIrgha), va= 1 mAtre (laghu,hrasva)

prashant

Post by prashant »

Ah OK DRS. Got in now!

prashant

Post by prashant »

Coolkarniji: do you have any renditions of sandhyAdEvIm with you?