What is Javali

To teach and learn Indian classical music
shishyapriya

Post by shishyapriya »

All,

Please tell me what is Javali. It is used in our forums a lot. I am unable to understand it and also about melakarta charts and how raagas originate from here ?

It would be a help.

Shish

meena

Post by meena »

Javali is a musical comp., and in dance it is performed towards the end of the dance recital.
The very word javali could have come from a marathi or kannada word javadi or from sanskrit jya meaning bow string of manmatha and aavali meaning continuity.
In its structure a javali may have the pallavi and charanam and may not have an anupallavi.This follows the fact that the composers take liberties with the melodies and even play with the words. A javali is quicker in tempo. The music is attractive and it adopts a lighter style where the lang. is colloquial and the description erotic. There is a blending of light and classical tradition in music besides a synthesis of the northeren and southern schools of music.The theme of a javali is mainly based on shringara or love. they are usually dedicated to the deities like Muruga or Krishna and sometimes to the patrons as well.

looks like i got carried away :D....to sum it up:

A javali it is simple, colloquial and direct, and earthly and it has been called lewd poetry. it is easily understood by everyone.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

NICE Meena!
A padam is also structured around love and shringAra, but a jAvALi is very earthy, and possibly more lewd. While padams bring out the rAgaswarUpa very well, I am not sure that jAvaLIs do the same. They are definitely fluffier in content than a padam. The theme, language, and message of many a jAvaLI would make a sailor blush!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

jAvaLi/jAvaDi is derived from the kannaDa word which means a SRngAra poem or a poem/xong with SRngAra theme. It is a native word.

jyA generally means bowstring- nothing specific to do with manmatha.

meena

Post by meena »

thanks shankar,
the language of a padam is more intellectual in appeal, and the theme of a padam is often based on madura bhakti, with a dual meaning- the portrayal of shringaara with an inner philosophical idea . (correct ?)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Yes..I think a padam is a more layered composition, while a jAvaLi is directly, and unambiguously sensual.

meena

Post by meena »

shishyapriya

and audio clips on javali:
DELETED
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

The elapsed melody

[quote="Hindu"]ARUNA CHANDARAJU

The javali is a forgotten genre. These beautiful love poems with their unabashed erotic associations, have been revived by Shreekantham Nagendra Shastry

PIONEERING EFFORT Shreekantham Nagendra Shastry: ‘The 10 I have chosen represent a variety of ragas and express all the ashtanayaki bhavas and one dushtanayaki too.’

It is not often that a Carnatic music album comes along to unearth and showcase a disappearing treasure. “Rasaraja Vaibhavaâ€