Hindustani - nuances, qualities and contrasts

Rāga related discussions
Rsachi

Hindustani - nuances, qualities and contrasts

Post by Rsachi »

A dear friend shared this link:
http://vimeo.com/53008193
It shows an oscillographic chart of Sruti alignment in Veena Sahasrabudhe's singing. More such videos available in the same place. See how accurate her Sruti is as she sings Suddha sarang

Now, another thing: what we call Hamsanandi is called in HM..as Sohani, or Marwa, or Puriya....very confusing? Watch this video, (and be more confused:))
Click pic to play

vasanthakokilam

Re: Hindustani - nuances, qualities and contrasts

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Excellent, Sachi. Thanks. That suddha sarang is quite educative. That ubiquitous 45 degree angle slide between M1 to a steady R2 creates that common aspect of all the 'sarang's. The unique one to Suddha Sarang is the P ->M2-> M1-> R2 and we can see how she does it. All it takes is that slight hold on M2 to convey that SS identity. Awesome. It is more educative and proper to learn to associate the various raga swaroopas with the shape of the graph rather than mere swara sequences which as we know are totally inadequate to characterize a raga. Also, it is just plain fun to anticipate the upcoming sound by looking at the shape of the graph.

So, in this context of meend and oscillation heavy ragas, sruthi suddham consists of two parts: swarasthana suddham on karvai notes ( holding at a swarasthana ) which is mandatory but not sufficient. What is even more critical is the 'suddham in the shape of the graph' in executing the meends and oscillations. Her consistency in those angles of the meends are awesome so are her rock steady karvai notes. Who am I to judge her sruthi suddham, so this is not in that vein but to make the obvious point that this is illustrative of how to view sruthi suddham in gamaka heavy ragas.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Hello Rsachi,

How can that oscillographic chart be made . what is the software. I am too excited to see the sa ri ga ma pa on the marginal side.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Ganesh,
I did some research on your behalf.
The software is based on the PRAAT project and there are several tweaks you can make using advanced methods.
I did a crude map of a 60+ second clip from the Ramani 1972 Mohana (Bhavanutha) from the Parvathi blog.
The team who have posted the NCPA clips at vimeo have worked in a big team on this to develop several customised plots. Their work is described in this wordpress post- called Music in Motion.

Good night.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

it would be wonderful when they come out with that , as ssoon as possible. great help for the learners.