Learning music in Bay area

To teach and learn Indian classical music
MaamiAtHeart

Learning music in Bay area

Post by MaamiAtHeart »

Dear All,

For quite a few years, I have tried to reach the popular music teachers in the California Bay area. I have tried various methods - email, facebook, and phone. However, I have not been successful in getting responses from them. I understand and respect the fact that they are immensely busy. However, I am really eager for my daughter to learn with a great Guru. As some of you could be parents in the bay area with children attending music lessons, could you please give me ideas for how I could contact a teacher and some contact information for teachers that you would recommend? Thank you!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Re: Learning music in Bay area

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Maami-at-heart: An excellent but very demanding work-wise is Anuradha Sridhar(lalgudi Srimathy's daughter) --lives in San Jose- wile she prefers to teach vocal or violin at atleast an intermediate level I believe she is not averse to taking on younger talent-the BIG Caveat is that she prefers parents/students to commit to Carnatic Music seriously--even for learning and generally turns down people if they want to simultaneously pursue Western Music or Dance,piano etc etc--not that she has anything against it but she thinks it will be much spreading=thin.

Her students have bagged several prizes in the Cleveland Aradhana--so I guess she must be doing something right!!!

Asha Ramesh is another good singer--I am not sure given her multiple commitments for singing for Dance concerts she would have time to teach, but is worth a try.

If you are interested nd if you cannot find their #s I will try to get them for you. Send an e-mail thro the forum.

MaamiAtHeart

Re: Learning music in Bay area

Post by MaamiAtHeart »

Hi MKR sir,
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will send you an email through the forum.