Muthuswamy Dikshitar Kritis on Lord Shanmukha

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Shall we start sharing with each other (a) the compilation of MD's kritis on Lord Shanmukha and (b) renderings by different artists.

Kaumaaram

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

For starters
Iam uploading Balasubramanyam in Suruti (Sita Rajan), Sri Swaminaathya in Khamas by Maharajapuram, Gajaadisadanyam in natakuranji. Shall upload others songs soon.

http://rapidshare.de/files/5724975/Sita ... i.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/9559065/Maha ... s.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/9559128/Gaja ... m.mp3.html

happy listening
Kiran

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I would very much prefer detailed discussions supported by music rather than mere upload-download activity... but as always, I am not the one to stand in the way if anyone thinks otherwise.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Of course I like discussing too. If you want, we can take up one krithi and discuss it. let me know. I can explain the meaning and mythology behind the krithis that I have posted. Of the three composers Dikshitar is someone close to my heart. So I like discussing them. You pick up a krithi and then I can try explaining the krithi or something like that. Hope thats Ok

meena

Post by meena »

kiran

meaning for most of MD kritis are available on the net, but word to word meaning for most of his works are not available so do go ahead and provide word to word meaning if u can.
also explain the mythology behind the kritis that u've posted- i'm interested. thanks

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

BTW, is it Smt. Mani Krishnaswamy who sings the nAttaikurinjI piece?
Ravi

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

Smt. Lakshmi Podhuval is the singer.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

I will start off with Balasubramanyam-Suruti. If I do any mistakes please do correct me. I have also been told the meanings of these thing when I was learning the songs. So I will try to explain as clearly as possible. Sri means something that shines and also something that gives fortune( thats one of the reasons why the word Sri is always attributed toGoddess lakshmi). Bala means Baby Subramanyam.
Su means good/Pure. Brahmanyam is means something related to brahma, as in vedic (related to vedas-Muruga is indeed related to vedas which we will talk about in Swamintahaaya). So what are the characters of Brahamam? Brahamam is crude and is the origin of everything in the universe and it is the source from where sakthi flows into Achetana (non moving/Non living) and makes it Chetana (living and moving). So, the word Subrahmanya means something that is pure and source of life and auspiciousness. Bhajeham( two words here "Bhaje" meaning to worship. "Aham" means me/self) So the first line of the song means "I worship balasubramanyam". Bhakthakaplabhooruham(Bhaktha means Devotee, Kalpabhooruham means- A tree that gives everything you ask) " I worship that Balasubrahmanya who is like a Kalpavruksha, and gives everything his devotees ask". Thats the whole pallavi
Anu Pallavi: neelakanta Hrudaanandakaram . Neelakanta( Neelam means Black, Khantam means neck). It means Siva(and also a peacock. In this context it means siva) because, When, devathaas and Raakhshasaas were blending the Ocean for amurtham, First haalahalam(poison) came out from the sea. Poison was too strong that it started killing off everyone in its vicinity. Then Lord shiva came and he drank the poison and he stalled the poison in his throat which gave his neck a black colour. So neelakantha means lord shiva. Hrudaanandakaram-Hurd means Heart, Aanandam means Happiness, karam means to cause. So the total Phrase means He cause happiness to Lord Shiva. Nitya Suddha Buddha Mukthaambaram- Nitya means Permanent, Suddha means-pure, Buddha means Knowledge(thought) Muktha- free of all encumberances Aaambaram means clothes. The whole phrase means The has got Nithyam, Suddham, Buddham and Muktham as his clothes. Obviously If he is a sagunabrhamam which is the origin for everything it has to be permanent(nithyam), it has to be pure(without bad qualities-suddham) it has to be knowledgble(Buddham-Brahama(God) gnaanamm and atmaa(self) gnaanam are the greatest. Since he is the Brahmam himself he is the repository of Knowledge, Since he is knowlegdble his free from all the worries(muktham). So this brhamam wears all these four qualities as clothes. Thats anupallavi
Charanam: Velaayudha Dharam- Vela is the name of the spear that is in murugaa`s hand. It is also called Dandaayudham. It was given to him by his mother goddess parvathi, who is none other than Sakthi herself when he was going to fight Taarakaasura. velaayudham is supposed to be sakthi herself. So the meaning of the word means he wears/has velaayudham. Vedaanthaardhabodha chaturam- Vedaantham-means upanisadhas,Ardha means their aim/meaning(Vedas are supposed to teach mankind, that man`s ultimate aim is to leave all the material things and to reach the God, and to attain nityaaananda(permanent happiness) Bodha-to teach, Chaturam-Intelligent. So , the phrase means, he cleverly teaches the inner meaning of Vedas.
phaalaksha-Phaala means fire, Aksha means-eye. Phaalaksha means One who has got eyes with fire who is none other than Shiva(he has got an eye with sun, one with moon and the other with fire). Guru-means teacher. Guha is the other name for Muruga and means deep, dark and unexplorable avtaaram means incarnation. So Dikshitar implies that Muruga is the incarnation of shiva himself( here the story goes back to Kumaarasmabhavam, where taarakaasura has a boon that he can only be killed by someone who is more powerful than Shiva and who should and should not be born of Shiva. So, one fine day when Shiva and paarvathi were in a romantic mood, Shiva tries to make love to paarvathi, when she realises that the fire in Shiva`s third eye is seeing the whole thing. She then refuses to concieve Shiva`s sperm which will be give to fire as a punishment and then will be passed to Ganga and then to the Grass(saravanam) kruthikaaas. Thus subramanya was born of shiva and also not directly of shiva).
Paraasakthi sukumaaram. Paraasakthi means a power that is owned. All the Power(sakthi) in this world is under the control of shiva as she married him. So she is called paraasakthi. Since he is her beloved son, he is called paraasakthi sukumaaram. Dheeram-valiant.
paalitha geervaanaadhi samooham-Paalith means rule. geervana- The word actually is geervani who is one of the goddess of knowledge like saraswathi. Samooham means group. he is worshipped and befriended by the Goddesses of knowledge.
pancha bhoota-Five elements maya maaya moham-He is the world that is composed of all the five elemnts and all kinds of illusions(maaya moham).
neelakantha vaaham-Neela means Black, khantam means throat, neck. vaaham means transporter. means he has got peacock as his vehicle. Sudeham- beautiful body ( he has got beautiful body) Nirathisayaanandha pravaaham. Nirathisayaa-means never ending and ever surprising, Aaanandam-happiness, Pravaaham- flow. He is the source of never ending hapiness.
Finally, the raaga is suruti- Its name has not been included in the compostion, may be because suruti is a telugu word. It means a big fan. So, Dikshitar is praying to baalsubrmanya who is the greatest and is the best source of happiness, wealth and Knowledge with a big fan.
Om santhi santhi Santhi
Hope I tired to explain as clearly as possible. Let me know if I did anything wrong. Suggestions and corrections are always welcome.
We will talk about the next krithi soon.
Kiran

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Kiran,

Thanks a ton. I bow to your knowledge and wisdom. I am equally a Dikshitar fanatic - but I want to unearth his kritis on Lord Shanmukha, hence this thread.

There is yet another song in Kamas - Shadanane sung by Smt Vedavalli. I will upload it shortly. The popular ones are of course Subrahmanyena (Suddha Dhanyasi) and Sri Subrahmanya (Kambhoji).

I learnt and forgot one kriti - Gurumoorthe in Sankarabharanam. Trust you would be able to trace this out.

I agree with Mr Ramki (Srkris) that we must not just upload the songs but do a little more. Please continue your good work.

Kaumaaram

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Lets do it then. Iam an ardent fan of Dikshitar. I like collecting his krithis. Unfortunately Iam thousands of miles away from India and it is very difficult to get hold of them. If get any thing new its all because of you kind people forums.
I will try to explain the other krithi today or tommmorrow. I will also see what other
Shanmukha krithis I have.
Cheers
Kiran

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

kiran has done an excellent job!
Congratulations!

Here is the whole lyric for your convenience

Composition :bAlasubrahmaNyam

Ragam : suraTi

Thalam : Adi

Pallavi :
bAlasubrahmaNyam bhajEham bhaktakalpabhUruham { bAlasubrahmaNyam }

Anupallavi:
nIlakaNTha hrdAnandakaram nitya shuddha buddhamuktAmbaram { bAlasubrahmaNyam }

caraNam :
vElAyudhadharam sundaram vEdAntArttha bOdhacaturam
phAlAkshaguruguhAvatAram parAshaktisukumAram dhIram
pAlitagIrvANAdisamUham pancabhUtamaya mAyAmOham
nIlakaNThavAham sudEham niratishayAnandapravAham { bAlasubrahmaNyam

Couple of points

phAla means forehead and not fire. phAlanEtrI is an epithet denoting Siva. Both gaNEsha and skanda have three eyes by default (genetically inherited ?). Also dEvI too has three eyes (depicted in some idols) being the ardhaangini!

I have not seen the spear of skanda referred to as 'vela' in the sanskrit literature. It was named shakti when presented to him by dEvi and in sanskrit proper it is a 'shUla'. The word 'vEl' is distinctly of Tamil origin (I suspect it is derived from 'vel' means to win). For once I believe MD has respected local traditions in naming the God !

pancabhUtamaya mAyAmOham
has an interesting philosophical interpretation. Maya is the counter physical part of brahman who creates the physical universe composed of the five elements (pancabhUta); traditionally conceived as a female. She is also the mother of shUrapadma the asura. skanda was unable to defeat him in battle since Maya was helping her son by recreating him everytime he was destroyed. Finally skanda uses his shUla (vEl) which symbolizes knowledge (g~naana) and aims it at Maya who swoons (mOham) and shUra gains the ultimate knowledge to be relieved of the mortal coils. Hence it is traditionally claimed that Lord SubramaNya is the ultimate to be prayed to get over the illusions of prapanca (birth/death cycle in the physical universe).

I am enjoying the explanations. Please continue with others and I hope others will join too!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Fantastic!
Kiran, CML et al: keep it coming: use your spears to destroy our ingnorance!
Ravi

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Muruga`s spear is also called sakthi because, Goddess parvathi(She none other than sakthi) gives it over to him saying that It is sakthi herself accompanying him. Vyasa describes the importance of shula to ganesha saying that It symbolies Gnananm. Gnanam should be broad and sharp to brek through the ignorance. Thats the reason why Muruga`s shula has a broad base and then a sharp end(Like and inverted tear drop). That was a good point CMlover!!! Glad that you reminded me. Cheerios for it.
May be your right in saying that Vela is tamil, Skandapuranm doesnt mention the word at all, nor does kumarasambhavam of Kalidasa. Probably the word has been used so much that it has slowly creeped into sanskrit. Perhaps, because Muruga is worshipped widely in Tamilnadu than in anyother part of India(Everywhere else Muruga worship is not that Big). Phaala is forehead and also fire because it is one of the names of Agni (Some of them being Vaishvaanaram, Laaleelam, Phaalam, Yagnapurusham, paavakam so on and so forth).
Dont exactly know which meaning to take in this context.
Iam enjoying the explanation part too. So enriching. Hope others will join too.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

One more thing from CM lover`s Points. You are very much right in saying Devi has three eyes(one of the naamams in lalitha Sahsranaam goes Tejovathi(one who is bright and and Radiant) thrinayana(one with three eyes). It was Sakthi actually, who gave Shiva the thrid and shoola as a boon. Story goes that Sakthi wanted to marry and lead a marital life. So, she creates trimurthis and goes asking Brahama, Vishnu and Shiva. Shiva, guided by Vishnu, accepts the offer on a condition that he would marry her if she gives him her trisoolam and Third eye. Devi Then says that she would, however, saying that he can use them on her only once. Once she gives them to him, Immediately shiva turns her into ashes with his third eye and splits the ashes into three parts using his trisoolam thus loosing his chance of using them (eye and soolam)on her forever. Brahma then gives life to these three heaps making them, Saraswathi, Lakshmi and Parvathi, Who will marry the trimuthis respectively. Dont know how authentic this story is, But heard many a one talking about it.
Cheers
Kiran

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I have not seen the spear of skanda referred to as 'vela' in the sanskrit literature.
CML, I dont think it is vela in velAyudhadharam. It must be vel+Ayudha+dharam, since

vel = spear
Ayudha = weapon
dharam = posession

Of course "Vel" is a word of Tamil origin, and so is "murugA". Has D used the latter in any of his compositions?

Kiran,
Awesome work, thanks a million. Keep going. Fresh perspectives on Dikshitar kritis are indeed very satisfying...mere meanings/translation cannot bring this level of understanding to an ignoramus like me.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Dikshitar has wrote some manipravaala krithis(manipravaala krithis are those, which words have from more than one language) on Devi and some on venkateswara. Cant remember writing on Muruga. So Iam not sure if he has used the word "muruga" in any of his krithis. Will check anyway. Forgot to add something to the explanation last night. The krithi we talked about is sung as an aavahana krithi to Subramanya along with Sri mahaganapthi in gowla for Ganapthi before singing Kamalaamba navaavarnam. I noticed that most of the people do it. There are a few krithis on Muruga by Dikshitar that I always wanted to hear to but never had a chance as they are very rare. they are Sourasenesam in Soura sena, Saravanabhava in regupthi, Sri vallai pathey in Naagaswaraavali and Puraharnandana in Hamir kalyani. Would really appreciate if anyone can donate a copy of them to me if they have. Some of them are rare krithis as they are the only krithis in their corresponding raagams. we can discuss them too. I find these discussions very interesting too. Link to one more popular krithi on Muruga
http://rapidshare.de/files/9653998/DKP_ ... a.mp3.html
Cheers
Kiran

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks kiran for that interesting story. It is possibly from Devi bhaagavatam and I will check it out!

Here is a story about the third eye which is "authentic" but I still do not know the source...

Originally viShnu was the one having the third eye (his three eyes were Sun, moon and fire ) and Siva had the all powerful 'cakra'. viShnu was praying to Siva to propitiate and found that he was short of one lotus flower. He promptly removed his third eye (ambujaakShaM) and offered it to him. Siva accepted it as his third eye and was mighty pleased and placed both his feet on viShnu's forehead to stanch the blood flow. Those two feet represent the blanched white marks of viShnu's "naamam" (puNDraM) and the central red line is the blood oozing. It is said that Siva squeezed his feet closer since bloodflow did not abate which is the reason for the excursion onto the nasal bridge (which I believe the way the 'thenkalais' wear the naamam). Of course Siva gave the cakra to viShnu!

Kindly note I have no intention of offending any sentiments but simply stating the story as I heard. It is stupid to argue who is the greater God!

meena

Post by meena »

---
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

CML:

I do not think any offence is being imputed by narrating something that has been retold to us. Everyone knows that Lord Vishnu took the Chakram from Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva killed a rakshasha by name Jalantran using this Chakram. Similarly, Lord Narasimha's ugram was brought down by Lord Shiva in the form of Sarabar. Lord Shiva grants boon sometimes so pleased that Lord Vishnu has to intervene to set things straight when the boon is misused.

Visit Tiruparkadal (recall Tiruparkadal Veeraraghavan - the violinist) near Vellore. You will find a temple where Lord Venkateswara stands on an Aavuduyar (the pedestal where the lingam stands). Story has it that the Pundarika Maharishi, an ardent devotee of Narayana, visited the Ranganatha temple adjacent to the temple. He did not enter this temple seeing the Nandi. An old man quizzes Pundarikar as to why he did not visit that temple. Pundarikar replies stating that it was not a temple of Narayana (seeing the Nandi). The old man says that Narayana is inside and takes him inside. The old man suddenly disappears and appears as Lord Venkateswara standing right on the Aavudayar. The old man is none else than Lord Narayana. Pundarikar regrets that he had differentiated between Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu and prays to the Lord.

The relevant link:
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2 ... 520800.htm

Let us now start compiling the list of all kritis of MD on Lord Shanmukha. And then we can exchange the meanings and downloads. Thanks a ton to all of you for your patience and understanding.

Kaumaaram

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

CMlover dont worry. Iam sure that no one is offended. Who is great and who is not, is entirely personal. Lets not worry abt them. Everyone will know different stories. We will all share them there. Does anyone remember "Entha Maathramuna Evvaru talalchina" performed by M.S.SUbbulakshmi in one of the balaji pancharatnamala volumes? I think in volume 2 (The meaning of the song very briefly is, The God will be help you and will appear to you the way you imagine him. If you think he is vishnu he will be vishnu for you. If you think he is Shiva he will be shiva for you. The song also says he will manifest himself they way devotees iamgine him) I actually never knew this version that Vishnu got chakra from Shiva. Good that you explained. Tell you what people. Iam having a great time in these forums. I want to continue it.
I dont have to work from today for a week and half as it is chirstmas, Hogmanay and New year. So, I will start the explanantion for the next Dikshitar krithi.
Hope you are all up for it.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

and Puraharnandana in Hamir kalyani. Would really appreciate if anyone can donate a copy of them to me if they have.
Cheers
Kiran
Kiran,
Here is Maharajapuram's version of puraharanandhana in lilting hamIrkalyANI...
http://rapidshare.de/files/9689078/05_p ... i.m4a.html
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Meena

for that super reference. Though I have heard Siva mahimna stOtraM I had never paused to analyze this stanza!

it is nice for you guys for sharing other sthalapuraaNaas too!

let us move on...

kiran

It would be appropriate to start with 'sri nathaadi guruguha..' in MMG, the very first composed by MD on Muruga at TiruttaNi and the associated anecdote....

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

kiran

I checked the nikhaNdu on the names of agni and phaalaM was a name given to him because he was on the forehead of Siva:

phaalE bhavati iti phaalaM

Hence it is legitimate to call him so. But you cannot call forehead (phaala) as agni ;-)

Thought I should share this joke.

Once a man called a judge an ass and was reprimanded by the judge and fined. He enquired whether it was OK to address an ass as 'judge' and the judge agreed.

He retorted: Thank you Judge!

;-)

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Hello everyone,
Here is a copy of Sri Naadhaadhi Guruguho By DKP-DKJ.
http://rapidshare.de/files/9702049/003a ... 4.mp3.html
I totally agree with CMlover in that we should start off with this krithi as it is Dikshitar`s first krithi and first on Lord Subramanya as well. Please feel free to give your feedback make these discussions enriching.

Pallavi: Sri Naadaadi Guruguho Jayathi jayathi
Sri Chidaanandanaadhohamithi Santhatham Hrudhinibhajasi.

Anupallavi: Naanaprapancha Vichitraa karo|
Naama roopa panchabhoothaakaro
Agnyaanadhwaantha prachandabhaaskaro|
Gnyaanapradhaayako maheswaro
Deenavanodyuktha divya taro| Divyaughaadi Sakala deha daharo||
Maansaaanadakara chaturataro| Madguruvaro mangalamkaro||

Charanam: Maayamaya viswaadhishtaano| Maatmakakaadi mataanushtaano||
Maalini mandalaanthavidhaano|Mantraadyajapaa Hamsaadhyaano|
Maayakaaryakalanaheeno|maamakasahasrakamalaaseeno|
Maadhuryagaanamruthapaano|maadhavaadyabhaya varapradhaano|
Maayasabalithabrahmaroopo|Maarakotisundaraswaroopo|
Mathimathaamhrudhyagopuradeepo|Maththasooraadijayaprathaapo|
Maayamalavagowlaadidesa|mahipathipoojithapadapradeso
maadhavadyamarabrindaprakaaso|mahesasyamahaardhopadeso

Sri Dikshitar after the samadhi of his guru(Sri Chidaanandaswami) in Kaasi(vaaranaasi) started off to Manali where his family was based. By the time he recahed Manali, he found out that his parents and brothers were in Thiruvaaroor. On his way to thiruvaaroor, he stopped in TiruththaNi; a Muruga`s Piligrimage. He worshipped muruga by a mandala deeksha(40 days) with Shodasaakshari mantra.
On the afternoon of the fourtieth day, when he was in deep meditation, An on old man came along and called sri dikshitar by his name, and asked him to open his mouth. Surprised, as to who would that be, sri dikshitar opened his mouth. Then, the old man asked dikshitar to tell him whats in his mouth. Sir Dikshiatr with his eyes still closed, said that it was sugar thats being dropped into his mouth, saing which he opened his eyes to find no one around. Thinking that he has been blessed by Subramanya in tiruththani and also by his guru in varanasi, he wrote krithis in Nine Vibhakthis. All the krithis are on sri subrmanya and his guru. These krithis are called Thiruththani Guruguha krithis. It is also believed that he also wrote Sri Baalasubrmanya aagahccha in Bilahari. First of these krithis is Mayamalawagowla krithi-Sri Naadhaadhi Guruguho.
Sri Dikshitar as we all know is a Srividyopaasakaa(worshipper of Srichakra and Srividya mahamantra-panchadasaakshari mahamantram). According to Srividyoopasakaas Gurudhyaanam will be like this...

Om Srinaadhaadi Gurutrayam Ganapathim peethathrayam Bhairavam.
Siddhougham vatukathryam Padayugam Doothukramam mandalam|
Veeradvyastha Chatustha Sashtinavakam Veeravali panchakam
Sriman Maalini Manthraraajasahitham Vande Gurormandalam||

If you see the Sloka the first word is "Srinaadhaadi guruthrayam" and this krithis written in Pradhamaa Vibhakthi. "Gu" SabdhaSthavandhakaarahSyaath Ru Kaarasthannirodhakaha| Andhakaara Nirodhithwaath Gururithya Bhidheeyathey||
(Guru means someone who saves you from darkness of Ignorance and takes/Shows you to the light of knowledge. Guru is trimoorthiswaroopa(means Brahma, Vishnu, and shiva together) There is no difeerence between Guru and God. God himself manifests as one`s Guru. Since Guha (muruga) blessed him, He started calling him as "Guru" Guha. Sri Naadha means, Vishnu the husband of Sri(lakshmi) Sri naadhaadhi Guruguho jayathi Jayathi means Glory and victory to my guru, Srinaadha and Guha. Sri Chidaananda (he is the original guru of Dikshitar)
Aham means Myself which means that sri dikshitar considered The God, His guru and Himself as single enitity (here we have to remember the sloka from vedas which says "Aham Bramhosmi"- means Iam no different from Brahamam-God) santhatham menas all the time. Hrudhi means heart/mind Bhajasi-means worship. So, Sri vishnu is glowing as my Guru who is no different from me. It is that guru, God and Myself I worship in my heart all the time (thats the meaning of the pallavi)

Anupallavi:
naana(different) prapancha(world) Vichitra(miracle) aakaro(to do)-Means on who creates this world and it contents in different mystical ways or someone who manifests himself as different forms or diff things of the world. naama(name) roopa(appearance) pancha(five) Bhoothaa(elements) aakaro. One who is sagunaroopa and who manifests/creates/Source of fiv elements.
Agnyaanadhvaantha(Darkness of ignorance) Prachanda Bhaaskaro( Light of the sun)- One who is the sun with light of Knowledge in the Darkness of ignorance.
Gnaana(knowledge) Pradhaayako(Giver/one who gives) Maheswaro(it has many meanings one of which being the greatest owner). Deenavano dyuktha divyatharo(one who takes care of the poor- When we mean poor, it not only means the people who are financially poor, it also means who are ignorant). Divyau ghaadhi(one with divya(magical) sakthi) Sakal(all) deha(body) Dharo (to bear)- One who manifests into different things and people with his Divya sakthi. Maanasaa(heart) Aananda(happiness) kara(to make) Chaturataro( Intelligent) madh(my) guruvaro(guru) mangalamkaro(bring good-auspiciousness) Oh my guru! bring happiness to disciples.

Charanam:
Viswam(world) Maayamaya(filled with Illusions) Adhishtaano(one who is in)-He is in the world of illusions. maathmakakaadi matha( Religions/beliefs that are based on Gunas and karma) anushtaano(one who is the basis). maalini mandaalantha Vidhaano. mantraadhyajapaa hamsadhyaano (here Dikshitar is referring to Sun (maalini mandalam(Maalini means actually Paarvathi whih in this case has to be taken as Gaayathri) Mandalam means place which when we are taking about gaayathri would be Sun, As both of them are related according to gayathri manthra. here guru is referred to as someone who is no other than gayathri and Sun. Also one who is the hamsa, and Dhyaanamoorthi of the Gayathri mantra. So he is gayathri, savithri and Saraswathi. he is the Sun and he is the mantra himself)
maayaa kaarya kalanaa heeno(One who causes the illusions of life and th world)
maamaka(my) Sahasra kamalaa seeno( sits on Shasraara chakra). There are six different chakraas in our body, mooladhara, mAnipoora, Swadhishtaana, Aagnyaa, Shasraara, Anaahatha(please bear in mind that they are actually not listed in a proper order) In this context, Dikshitar is saing that his Guru and God who are inseperable are in his Sahsraara padma(shasraara chakra is believed to look like a lotus) madhurya-Sweet gaana-Singing Amrutha-Amrutha paano-to drink (one who drinks the nectar of Sweet singing) Maa(Lakshmi) dhvam(husband)-Vishnu Abhyapradhaano- gives refuge and courage(one who gives refuge to Great gods like Vishnu- here we have to take it that Guru is the God himself and perhaps a higher soul that can even control the God but not that Vishnu is weak)
maara(cupid/manmadha) Koti(millions) Sundar(handsome) Swaroopo(appearane)-means he is more handsome than Million cupids put together. mathimathaam(people who are intelligent-not in worldly matters, but in spirtual matters) hrudaya (heart) gopuram(Dome)-he is like a lamp that gives light to the heart of spirtually enlightened people
mathha sooradi(demons who are arrogant) jaya(defeat) prathapo(valiant) he is valiant so that he can destroy the demons. maya(bihar)malawa(orissa) gowla(bengal) desa(countries)mahi(earth) pathi(husbands-owners/kings) poojitha(prayed) pada(feet) pradeso(place) Menas his feet are the scared place for kings from the countries like Maaya, maalawa and Gowla. maadhvaadi amara brinda prakaaso(one who is always accomapnied and praised by Gods luike Vishnu) Mahesasya maahrdhopadesa(means he teaches parameswara tatav to all these Gods-remember that Muruga taught Pranavanaada(om) shiva at Swamimalai) . I worship him.
So in conclusion Oh my mind! Please always think of Chidaanandha because the fact is that you are him. Oh mind! Gods like Vishnu worship guruguha Victory to him. He is the base on which this illusionary world is based and it is him who manifest himself as five elements and who destroys darkness of Ignorance and bestows knowledge of all kinds(especially spirtual in this case) he destroys maaya and is prayed by beejaaksharaas(sacred alphabet/code for Individual gods) like Ma and Ka. He enjoys music. he kills emons and he bestows parameswara tahva to Gods like vishnu and Shiva and who lives and is maalini manadala. His beauty is Millions times greater than Cupid`s. He is worshipped by kings of Maya malawa and Gowla.
Coming to the musical aspects of the song Mayamalvagowla is the raagam whih we teach to beginners of music. It has got Swaras without vikruthi and the first taalam we teach to the students is Aadi Taalam. In the song the if we see the notation we have aaarohanam and Avarohanam in the pallavi and Janta swarams, Alankaraams and other important prayogams of the Raaga in the krithi. Thus dikshitar wrote this compostion in a very skilful and in very spirtual way.
Om Shanthi
Please do suggest corrections if anything is wrong
Cheers
Kiran

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Bravo! Excellent start!
Let us have u/l of other famous renderings too of this song! (badri if you are watching!)
Do please add any other related anecdotes.
Give me some time to digest the post!

abadri

Post by abadri »

Kiran, great effort. Thanks!
Hope to hear more of the related anecdotes as we progress.

CMLsir, here are a few more rendiditions of srI nAthAdi

1. a DKJ recital from a Dikshitar day cocnert
[rapidshare links deleted]

2. Dr. Ramanthan & Chalakudy from an Academy concert

3. A rendition by Sirkazhi Govindarajan

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Cheers abadri and CMlover
kiran

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Superb Badri!
Let us also discuss the style of presentation too! DKJ is the authentic MD school, SR and seerkazhi are not!

kiran
could you comment on the highlights...

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

CMlover! Personally I dont think that Iam big enough(by all means) to comment on people like DKJ. However, I would add something here. I have always felt that singing Dikshitar krithis takes a lot more than just sruthi and laya alignment. They are complex in many ways. Dikshitar krithis are written in such a way that if one can render a song properly, then they will understand the intricasies of the raaga without having to practise it specially. So they have to be rendered with utmost care, not only because of their Musical aspects but also because of the details about mantra, Tantra and Purana incorporated into these krithis. DKJ-DKP school, like
B Raajam Iyer are blessed to learn Dikshitar krithis from Ambi Dikshitar. Who else has that privilege? DKJ-DKP`s rendition of Dikhsitar krithis is impeccable in that, they be will sung with such a flawless diction, and they are ladden with Bhava, not mention that their rendition brings the full sketch of the raaga making their performance of the piece all too encompassing. It is these two people, Rajam Iyer and SSI who were Instrumental In popularising Dikshitar krithis. As for the musical aspects, Their ability to perform these masterpieces with such a vidwat speaks for itself. I find Ramnathan`s music more of brigha oriented like SSI and TNS. This is the first time Iam listening to Sri Kazhi, so I can hardly say anything about him. . So, I would say that DKP-DKJ school with Rajam Iyer and SSI-MSS did justice to Dikshitar than anyone else (Not that others dont sing them well. It is just that these people are better at them. So, please dont take offense)
Apart from these general things I personally cant imagine myself analysing the performance skills of these stalwarts.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

kiran
your comments are quite appropriate. DKP/DKJ school pay great attention to the sahityam and diction especially in regard to MD since they got it from ambi dikshitar and let us also not forget the giant Naina Pillai. SR as an academician tends to innovate as well as his students and is not that tradition bound. Seergazhi is essentially Tamizh Isai and also due to the association with filmdom tends to innovate like KJY who in spite of his excellent diction does not stick to rules.Needless to say that we need all these styles for a vibrant CM.

couple of comments

The pallavi is in the dvitIya vibhakti (note the ending bhajasi)

Sri Chidaanandanaadohamithi Santhatham Hrudhinibhajasi.
Sri ChidaanandanaadaH aham = I am the consciousness-bliss sound (or aham brahmOsmi as you say) and the implied meaning is I am identical with my Guru..
hrudini bhajasi is an irregular formation ( I guess it was hrudi bhajasi = you adore in your heart!)

In the anupallavi
dInavanodyukta divya taro = dInasya samoohaH dInavanaH tasmin udyuktaH (dInavana+udyukta) = the divine (wish-granting) tree which is active or diligent among the distressed..

Divyaughaadi = divya +Ogha + aadi = divine multitude etc.,

I hope DRS will join in these discussions and clarify the Sri Vidya terms as well as add to our enjoyment of the raga and its derivatives....

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Yes, I would like to know more about Sri Vidya. People in my family are Sri Vidyopaasakaas. So, Iam interested in it. Ask DRS to join us. May be he/She can explain it in detail. You are right in saying that we we need all the styles.

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Meena!
Its simply superb.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Meena,
What a wonderful write up: worthy of MD himself! This is a slight digression, so please indulge me:
It is a great pleasure for me to read this erudite explanation by RKSK, Having known him from before he turned professional, it is uniquely satisfying to watch him go from strength to strength! He has also started tuning songs, and in this season, Vijay Siva has introduced a couple, to very critical acclaim! Best wishes to him!
Ravi

Sahana-priyan

Post by Sahana-priyan »

All,
Not to digress, Does anybody have any knowledge(where, when,intricacies, meaning etc.) on Dhandayuthapaaneem krithi of Dikshitar in Ananda Bhairavi. I heard that from RKS once in a house concert.

Does anybody have the audio of this krithi as well?

Thanks.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Hi Sahana Priyan
I might have the krithi (audio) with me. CMlover and I are discussing the meanings of DKishitar krithi`s with other. If you want, I can explain the meaning and other related stuff of the krithi with the help of others. Will check if I have the audio
Cheers
Kiran

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Hello, I have searched my database and couldnt find the song. Sorry. However, here is the word to word meaning of the song. This song is on Shanmukha of palani.
Pallavi: Dandaayudhapaanim-One whohas got the dandaayudham in his hands. Danitha-Punish, Diathya Srenim-Crucial Demons(raakshasaas). Dayaanidhim-One who is repository for kindness Bhajare-Worship. Hrudaya-heart/Mind, Sathatham-Always, Suravinutham-One who is worshipped by the Gods
Oh heart always worship Dandaayudhapaani, who is the vanquisher of the demons, who is treasure of kindness, and who is worshipped by all the Gods.

Anuplallavi:
Chandaansu-Sun, Sathakoti-Milllions,Samkaasam-bright(means that he is brighetr than millions of suns together).Jagadeesa-Ruler/owner of the worlds, Akhandaroopa-One who has got an invincible figure, Andaja(born out of an egg)mani(gems)kundala(Ear rings)-here andajamani is a single owrd and it means emeralds because they refer emeralds as "garuda Paccha". Garuda as you know is a bird(bird are oviparous meaning that they will be born from eggs) paccha (its a telugu word which iam using for explanation purposes)means green. mandithaanga-decorated body, Sukumaaram-Who has got a very soft and beautiful body. Khanditha-To break/ Destroy, Taarak sooram-Taarakaasura, Panditha thara-He is greatest of all pandithaas, nava veera- One who is always strong with rejuvenated energy like a new warrior. Chnadi-One of the incarnations of sakthi, Eesa-owner/husband, Avathaaram-Incarnation.
So he is brighter than millions of suns, he is the ruler of the world and he wears ornaments made of emeralds all over his beautiful body, He is the one who killed the Taarakaasura, and he is the one who is greatest of all pandithaas and who has got rejuventaed energy like a warrior. Oh heart worhsip him all the time.

Mandasmitha-gentle smile, Vadan-Face Aravanidam-Lotus(he has got a lotus face which always smiles)maathula Govindam-ne who is the nephew of givinda(vishnu) because Paarvathi is the sister of Lord vishnu. hence Muruga is nephew of Vishnu(Stroy goesback to dwaaparayuga where Sakthi is born as Krishna`s sister in the form of yoga maaya). Saranaagatha-(Saranaagathi means asking for protection) Sura(gods) brundam(groups)-Gods are being protected by him. bahu-many Maanitha- being Prayed, Muni-Saints, brundam-Groups. paripaalitha-rule Muchikundam-Muchikunda. pranatha-To bow, Virinchi-Brahama, Mukundam-Vishnu-Muruga is bowed by Vishnu and Brahma. Adhara-Lips, Madhura makarandam-Sweet as in nectar. Mruduthara-Smooth/Soft, vachana-Talk, Anantham-Infinite(he has got beautiful lips which always utter very soft talk which is not at all harsh). Maaya-illusions, Molakandam-Source He is the source for maaya. Skandham- one of the names of muruga, Sam-happiness, Dam-to give. He gives happiness. Prudhivaathmaka gandham-One who is integral to the Gandham(smell) of the earth-Means he has got the qualities of earth like endurance and fixedness and who is the quality of earth himself) , Gaganaa-Sky, Athmaka-Integral Suma-Flowers Ganhadam-Smell(qualities of air and he is the one who gives the air its quality) vahni-Fire maya-filled with Deepa-Lamps Brindam-groups, Amruthamaya rasa brundam-he is the amurtha in the rasam which means that he is the Amurthathathava of the rasa(water) (Actually these five lines need I think a bit of more explanation. In yoga saastra, Fire-Teja,, earth-Phrithwi,air-Vayu, water-Aapa and Sky-Akasha are the five (Pancha) basic elements that are the constituents of all living matter. Together these five are called Panchamahabhoota. These five elements are the building units of every thing, including medicines and living beings. Depending on the majority of the content, the matter is classified as Parthiva, Apya, Taijasa, Vayaviya and Akashiya respectively. The permutation and combination of these elements and its quantum in a given matter decides its properties. Mahabhoota is the smallest divisible unit of any matter. The space without which exixtence of any matter is impossible is called the Akashamahabhoota that was first evolved from the akasha-tanmatra (only Akasha element). The Sound (Shabda) is the main sense attribute and Apratighatatwa (Nonresistance?) is its main property. Next to evolve from Akashamahabhoota. Sparsha (touch) is Vayumahabhoota that inherits attribute of Shabda. Chalatwa as its main property. From Vayumahabhoota the next to evolve is Agnimahabhoota. The main sense attribute of Agni is Roopa (Vision) and the main property is Ushnatwa (heat). It also inherits the sense attributes of Shabda and Sparsha from the earlier Mahabhootas.The next in line to evolve from Agnimahabhoota is Aapamahabhoota (Jalamahabhoota). Rasa (taste) is its main sense attribute and Dravatwa (liquidity) is the main property, along with that inherited from earlier Mahabhoota. The last to evolve is Prithwimahabhoota. Kharatwa (roughness) is the main property and Gandha (Smell) is the main sense of this Mahabhoota along with properties inherited from the earlier once) So in this context It muruga who gives these five elemnts their corresponding qualities. Sriguruguham-he is the guruguha Aananda-Since he being the guru he will be the happiness(not that comes from the material world, but the one that come from the Knowledge of everything) Sundara-beautiful Kara-hands, charana-Legs aravindham-lotus. radha-Chariots, gaja-Elephants, Turaga-Horses brindam-Groups he is surrounded by all the kinds of royal transport systems which are eager to serve him. Satya-true, Gnaana-knowledge, Annandam-Happiness.he is the source of true happiness. Swachandam- he is very pure. he is an epitome of happiness that come out of true knowledge
So in charana, Dikshitar refered to murgua as someone who is worshipped by Vishnu and Brahma, Who is the nephew if Vishnu, and who is worshipped by all the gods, Who give panchabhootas their respective qualities, One who is ndefinible by material senses and infinte, One who is the basis and source for the worldly illusions and one who is true happiness that comes out of pure knowledge. Dikshitar composed this one in Anandabhairavi which as the name indicates gives happiness to the listener. Coming to the grammatical aspects of the song, If Iam right it is written in Dvitheeya Vibhakthi and If you see the Saahtiyam, he incorporated 18 words like Aravindam, Govindam makarandam gandham so and so forth. This kind of incorporation is called "Sundaram" Also he used 10 words which have bindupoorvaka "Da " kaaram like Danda, Anda Danditha manditha ... making it a praasa alankaaram. Iam not good at these aspects of sanskrit. So correct me If Iam wrong

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Meena
Great job! Is it possible to post the lyric of dandaayutapaaNim so that kiran's discussion can be followed more easily....

meena

Post by meena »

daNDAyudhapANim daNDita daitya shrENim. rAgA: Ananda bhairavi / Tala: rUpakam

P: daNDAyudhapANim daNDita daitya shrENim dayAnidhim bhajarE hRdaya satatam sura vinutam
A: caNDAmshu shatakOTi saHNkAsham jagadIsham akhaNDarUpam aNDaja maNi maNDalamaya kuNDalAdi maNDitAHNga sukumAram khaNDita tArakashUram paNDitatara navavIram caNDikEshAvatAram
C: mandasmita vadanAravindam mAtula gOvindam sharaNAgata sura bRndam bahumAnita munibRndam paripAlita mucukundam praNata viriHnci mukundam adhara madhura makarandam mRdutara vacana manantam mAyAmUla kandam skandam shandam pRthivyAtmakagandham gaganAtmaka sumagandham vAyumaya dhUpagandham vahnimaya dIpabRndam amRtAtmaka rasabRndam shrI guruguhamAnandam sundara kara caraNAravindam ratha gaja turaHNga bRndam satyajHnAnAnandam ati svac chandam

Note:
This kriti refers to the hill temple at pazhani near the town of diNdugal.
The charanam carries references about the personifications of the five elements in items of everyday worship.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks a million Meena...

Sahana-priyan

Post by Sahana-priyan »

Kiran Surya, Meena and CML sir,
Thank you. I will see if i can get the audio file from people who recorded when RKS sang.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

That would be great
Cheers
Kiran

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kiran,
Absolutely fabulous explanations! Keep them coming!

Kiran/CML,
My high school sanskrit is fast receding into a thing of the past, but if I recollect correctly, niDHi is the ocean, right (as in karuNAniDHi, payOniDHI etc....)?, and pANi is hand and not just fingers (doesn't janaka say to rAmA as he is giving sIthA away...pANim grihIsva pANinAM?)?
Ravi

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

For the benefit of those who can read Sanskrit, here is the link:

http://www.kaumaram.com/misc/guruguha.pdf

Kaumaaram

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Nidhi -
1. Sea
2. Store/Hoard/Treasure

pANi-
1. Hand, or holding something in the hand
2. Giving one's hand in marriage.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Srkris
PANi means hand. Paani grahanam means giving one`s hand in marriage(marriage)
Nidhi as you said would treasure. Jala Nidhi means Sea/ocean

prashant

Post by prashant »

shaDananE in kamAs is a beautiful little krithi which I heard one of Vedavalli Amma's students render. Would appreciate an explanation of this krithi as well as audio if possible. Any speculation on which shrine this is composed on?

Ragam : kamAs

Thalam : Adi

Pallavi :
ShaDAnanE sakalam arpayAmi sadA tvatpAdabhaktim yAmi { ShaDAnanE }

samashti caraNam :
ShaDAdhArAdi shaktyAtmakE shaT trimshatatvakalAtmakE
ShaDanga shruti vicitrAtmakE ShaTkONamaddhyasthitAtmakE
IDyamAnAri nAshAtmakE IshvarAdinuta guruguhAtmake
DhuNDhi gaNEshAnandAtmakE Damaru shUlAdidharakarAtmakE { ShaDAnanE }

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Just give me sometime. I will upload both Subrahmanyena (Suddha Dhanyasi) and Shadanane (Kamas) both rendered by Vedavalli.

Kaumaaram

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thank you Sri kaumAram. Looking forward to shaDAnanE.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Shad(six)aanane(faces)- One with Six faces Sakalam-everything Samarpayaami-I offer, Sadaa-Always Tatpaada-His feet, Bhakthi yaami-I get
I give everything to I have to the god of Six faces and I worship his lotus feet all the time.
Shadaadhaara-Six yoga chakras(Moolaadhaara,Aadhaara, Swadishtaana....) Sakhtyaathmake-One who is the power(He is the power in the all the six chakraas, which means that he is the kundalini sakthi)
Shat thrimsaThatvaTatvaas kalaathmake-One who is the kalaaswaroopa of the 36 tathvaas, Shatkona madhya Sithyaathmakey-One who lives in yanthra with six Konas(six angles/Faces/petals)Eedyamaanaadhi naasathmakey- One who destroys the eeshanathrayaas that trouble the mankind
Eeswaraadhi nutha Guruguhaathmake-He is gurughaa himself who is worshipped by Shiva and others. Dundi ganeshaanandaathmake-One who gives happiness todundi ganesaa Damaru Soola Dhara Karaathmake-One who has Damaru and Soola in his hands
I worship and give everything that I have, to the feet of that God who has six faces, Who lives in a yanthra with six petals and one who is epitome of all the 36 tathvaas and who bestows happiness to mankind by detroying the material troubles and who makes Ganesa happy and who is none other than Guruguha. If i dint get it wrong, It must have been written in sapthami vibhakthi and must be on the Shrine in Kulikkarai. However, Iam not so sure about the shrine thing. Please post the details of the shrine if anybody has an idea