mela kartaha talas-kanakangi to rasikapriya

Tālam & Layam related topics
hanquill

mela kartaha talas-kanakangi to rasikapriya

Post by hanquill »

melakartha talas-72- kanakangi talam to rasika priya talam-why no body made any kritis? It is a treasure and high time somebody makes an attempt. :clap:

Vijayakumar

Re: mela kartaha talas-kanakangi to rasikapriya

Post by Vijayakumar »

Are these talas or ragas? Do we have the same name to the Melakartha ragas and talas? please educate me on this.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Most unfortunately, our conservatives, in the guise of tradition but not knowledge at all, are very anxious in claiming their greatness in one way or the other and in this useless process the scheme of 72 Melakartha-talas is one such.

While, in the Raga system, Vakra-ragas only could be claimed to have been created, in the Tala-system, most unfortunately, having long long ago lost the knowledge of the science of Tala, which is Talaprastara, some people are always ready to create one Tala or the other and thus to claim their greatness. All the Talas presently available are of only such character. Among all the infinite mathematical numbers, in which way no mathematical number at all could ever be created by anybody, the true knowledge of Talaprastara, without any ambiguity, proves that no rhythmical-form could ever be created but discovered.

In the annals of our music literature there are only two treatises in which, along with the respective names and Angas, authentic-serial-numbers are also furnished. They are, 1.Sangeeta Samayasaara of Parsvadeva written just before Sangeeta Ratnakara of 12-13th century and 2. Gayakalochanam written and published in 1902 by Tacchoor Singaracharya Brothers. In Gayakalochanam the respective names, Angas and authentic-serial-numbers of around 150 Talas are furnished. But, most unfortunately, including the Great Sharngadeva of Sangeeta Ratnakara and Bhandaru Lakshminarayana of Sangeeta Suryodaya, all most all the authors of the treatises were very eager to furnish umpteen Talas but without any authentic-serial-numbers at all. That is why much duplicacy of Talas occurred in this process of creation.

Eventhough nobody can claim the creation of any rhythmical-form, there is nothing wrong in discovering any rhythmical-form. But, if its authentic-serial-number is also furnished the duplicacy of Talas could very easily be avoided even in the interest of the aspirant. msakella

hanquill

Post by hanquill »

Dr.Vijayakumar-Just like Melakartha Ragas, we have Melakartha Thalas-the same bear the name as Melakartha Raga Name and are in 72 in Number. Thus we have talas from-Kanakangi to Rasikapriya. ( I am not sure whether the Katapayadi principle is used here to find out the number of counts-pl enlighten me )But these are very much available -referenceSangita Kalanidhi Dr. T.K Murhty already made Korvais(for Mridangam) and these are already availabe in the form of CD, where he has given the details of number of counts and details of Angams. For example:The Kankangi Tala have:
Kanakangi Tala:
U-Anudrutam-1
O-Drutam-2
S-Guru-7
I-Laghu -5
Thus the number of Aksharas are-15 Aksharas
(All the details are availble in the book of -Prof-B V .Sundaram-unfortunately I have been searching this book in chennai it is not availble-if any one can guide me I will be pleased.

Just like Kanakangi Tala, there are Ratnangi Tala, Mecha Kalyani Tala( a demonsration of which was made by Vidu.Charumati Ramachnadren 15 years ago - RTP series made by Mudra BHaskar. in MA
Since I have made out kritis in 72 melakartha Raga I wanted to do the project of Mela Kartha tala also)
.Many thanks for all. :D

msakella

Post by msakella »

Even among the 150 and odd Talas furnished in Gayakalochanam along with specific-serial-numbers some of the serial-numbers are found incorrect basing upon the easy methods of Nashta & Uddishta of Talaprastara (all these details are furnished in my 3rd book ‘Systematisation of Prastara details of Deshi Talas’). Having no idea of these serial-numbers or their incorrectness Prof. B.M.Sundaram had copied them in his book removing all those serial-numbers (this matter has long long ago been brought to the notice of Prof. B.M.Sundaram).

I also have this list of Mela-talas and, in it, the Angas, 1-Anudruta, 1-Drua, 1-Guru and 1-Laghu are furnished for Kanakangi. But, surprisingly, while the value of the Anga has not been furnished in the list I have you have furnished the value of each Anga also. While doing so you have given the figure ‘7’ for Guru, which is absurd and figure ‘5’ for Laghu. In which manner you have readily quoted absolutely incorrect value even for Guru due to lack of the proper knowledge, the author of Mela-talas had also furnished such incorrect Angas like Druta-virama, Laghu-virama, Laghu-druta-virama, the Samyuktangas i.e, mixture of two or more Angas which should not be rendered at all in many of his Mela-talas. But, many of the Sangita Vidwans, in the absence of the knowledge of Talaprastara, are used to render them incorrectly and use them in their own manner to make a show.

Why they should not be rendered? As per the established rules of the system of Tala each and every Anga has its first ‘Kriya (action)’ sounded and all others, if at all, unsounded. But, while rendering these Samyuktangas, any person has to render more than one sounded beat, which is against the rules of Tala. This knowledge could be obtained by properly studying the topic Talaprastara only. amsharma

Vijayakumar

Post by Vijayakumar »

Thanks for the clarification to my question on melakartha talas.

hanquill

Post by hanquill »

Dr.msakella-i came from us just now.now only noted my mustake .many thanks for pointing out the mistake . I just copied- As you said Guru should be eight and Laghu should be 4.on ce again thanks -sorry.