difference between chauka varnams, pada varnams etc

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
niyer

difference between chauka varnams, pada varnams etc

Post by niyer »

please explain the difference between chauka varnams, pada varnams and tana varnams with example

keerthi

Re: difference between chauka varnams, pada varnams etc

Post by keerthi »

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=150

look there..

Shouldn't this post be in the technical discussions/ general discussions section(s)?

topfer

Post by topfer »

This is the opening item of a concert. Varnams are compositions in different ragas which include both lyrics (sahithyam) and swaras. Varnam may be rendered in first and second speeds or in a medium pace (known as madhyama kala). From the artiste's point of view, rendering of varnam in the beginning of a concert, is like a warm up exercise for the throat.

Vlc Player Download

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

please visit the website http://nadasurabhi.org I have written an article on varnas, where you will find details about different types of varnas.
Harini.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Harini, awesome article on varnams. You have managed to cover all the important aspects in a lucid and concise manner.

One editorial comment: In the last page, you throw up a challenge to others to discuss and debate on why all ata thala varnas have their own unique but same eduppus. It will be good if you mention what that eduppu is in page 3 where you mention that varnas are composed in ata thala.

On the ata thala eduppu itself, is this how it is?: It is consistently on the 3rd beat of the first laghu for pallavi, anupallavi, muktayi swara and charanam, and the ettugada swaras are either on samam or atheetha eduppu ( some of the viriboni ettdugada swaras seem to start at atheetham, not sure now )

arunk

Post by arunk »

I also liked the article (took me a while to find it though as I somehow expected it to be in the first page of the Articles section). I also liked the questions in the end - many of which I have wondered about too. I wonder if the "academic/learning use" of varnams came about much later - and thus when the tana varnams were originally composed and performed they were in a context which suited the themes (or perhaps they evolved from a earlier form where sringara was used and tradition dictated following the theme).

Later on of course they become more of an exposition of raga grammar - but sticking to the same (some could claim odd in the context) sringara theme - again due to tradition. I certainly find it humorous when artists, particularly the super-senior men (say an ARI, SSI) open a concert with a "brisk" varnam in an erotic theme AND from the viewpoint of a lady :-) Now how completely out of character is that? And perhaps because of that its ok that they of all people don't try to portray/emote "the mood of the song" - that would be quite wierd ]:) :grin: -

Arun

mohan

Post by mohan »

Nice artile Harini - here is the quick link http://nadasurabhi.org/articles/16-varnas?showall=1

bhamah

Post by bhamah »

There is one more clarification as stava varnam, in which the author does stotram where as in Padavarnam the rasa is srungaram and in stava varnam it is stotram Example Arabhi varnam Amba Gouri by Irayaman Tambi. Bhamah

srikrishna

Post by srikrishna »

Is there a recording (commercial/otherwise) of Amba gouri anywhere? I would appreciate any pointers. I could not find this stava varnam in Sangeethapriya.

Thank you.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

bhamah wrote:There is one more clarification as stava varnam, in which the author does stotram where as in Padavarnam the rasa is srungaram and in stava varnam it is stotram Example Arabhi varnam Amba Gouri by Irayaman Tambi. Bhamah
Do padavarNams always convey sRNgAra? I am aware of many that are filled with bhakti rasa.