Splitting large mp3 files songwise?

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
gsn

Post by gsn »

Hi all,
I think this has been discussed before, so I would be obliged for any links that point to it.

If I have a large mp3 file with many songs and I want to place time markers and split so as to recover mp3's of the individual songs, is there a convenient software to do this?

Thanks!

Girish

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Audacity was the choice of the techie guru VK...
Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

and also google for mp3 splitter.

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

gsn,
Try MP3 Trackmaker 1.5
http://www.heathcosoft.com/software/mp3trackmaker/

This software (only 80k in size) works very efficiently with winamp. You play the song in winamp, 'grab' winamp time position (time marker) in MP3 Trackmaker and create tracks. You can also join tracks, if needed. While Audacity is quite good especially when you're removing noise or recoding an mp3, in my opinion, it is quite tedious and time consuming to work with for just splitting a large mp3 files.

knrh05

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

Dear Girish,
When you want to cut an MP3 file, The straight procedure is to convert it to wave, cut the file into pieces and then reencode to MP3. This is what is done by using Audacity. Due to the reencoding process, the quality of the final files deteriorates due to transcoding artifacts.
The better method is to use a program which can cut the MP3 file without transcoding. One such neat program is mp3DirectCut. A free program. Nice user interface and easy to select cutpoints. Does not directly modify the original file, hence you can experiment without worry.
--Rigapada

vraja

Post by vraja »

I use goldwave for splitting a concert in a single file into songs. Its free to try (the shareware version can be used only for 2hrs at a time and then u need to restart).
U can directly load an mp3 file, place cue markers at song end points (or automatically cue by looking for gaps between songs), split the file into separate mp3 files

--Raja

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

Goldwave also, like Audacity, converts the mp3 file to wave, loads, and after processing, reconverts to mp3.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

incidentally i have a question.what is the easiest way of converting audio tapes to cds?

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

I have converted more than 400 audio tapes by inputting tape recorder output thru LineIn using Music Juke Box to obtain MP3 format; then converting to CD. I do not know whether there is any better method. This does not provide for auto sound levelling

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

I use Wavelab for direct recording from tapes to CDs becoz it has features like recording level monitor and also you stop when the song finishes and still the tape is running. You get the file in the background so that you can save the file in MP3 format. The tape will still be running and you can do the recording while the previous file is being saved. So that the tape is continuously running and the user dont have to re-edit the file and dont hv to take the trouble of splitting 90 min tapes or 60 min tapes later. I even do the same thing for my spools conversion. One disadvantage is that you may have to be in the near vicinity to constantly monitor when the song ends and when the song starts. What i generally do in the intervening time is to read some good books. I have found that the Line-in recording have been stopped with Music Match version 5.00 onwards. I used a 4.0 version where it provides for Line-in recording but I find Wavelab very convenient and it has a monitor for showing how much file has been saved or how much processing is going on. quite good.

gnanasunyam

Post by gnanasunyam »

You can set a slience time limit in MusicMatch to split files into multiple MP3 files. If the gap between 2 pasrts is >= the time set, a new file will be opened. This can be used at the time of concerting the tapes.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

The problem in live concerts tapes or spools is that there is no silence in between songs. If you closely observe the tambura sound or setting of the sruti by mridangist or violinist is constantly coming in the tapes. if this will be taken as silence by MUSIC MATCH i think then it will work sir. otherwise i think any software mentioned above like audacity, or wavelab will be of use.
JB

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

gsn
i find totalrecorder , the best for the application that you are looking for. very simple to use.

after tonnes and tonnes of conversion , i have settled down to ..
1.using cooleditpro for converion of audiotape to wave.and for processing, noise reduction etc.
2.using musicmatch to convert wav to mp3.
3.using totalrecorder to split, trim these 45 minute files.
4.using mp3scissors to join two tracks.

sridhar

Post by sridhar »

I too do what some of the others have done here
use MMJ to record straight to MP3, make it stop after 32 or 47 mins depending on whether my tapes are 60 mins or 90 mins.
open MP3 trackmaker and then open the mp3 file in Winamp to find places where I want to split and then make the tracks in trackmaker.
rename files uisng 01-krithi-raga-tala convention. Then open them all in MMJ and then mass edit ID3 tags using file names. Optionally add pakkavadyam venue details if known to the notes section of tracks and be done. I also used to use a mp3 audio leveler software (though I can't seem to find it now on my PC) to boost/suppress recording volume (again works on the whole album).

The thing that irritates me most is majority of tapes I have (not too many), that I had purchased in india are recorded by people with no regard to music and are often discontinuous going from A side to B side (sometimes I would listen to a very nice Bhairavi alapana on the A side and then switch to B side only to find the entire song is miising or the sound becomes very feeble and only comes from one speaker. These days I prefer to buy full concert CDs or DVDs.
Last edited by sridhar on 08 Jan 2007, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

Ramanna

Post by Ramanna »

This is regarding enhancing quality of tape and vinyl sourced mp3 music. We can remove continuous noise by grabbing noise signature/patern and applying subtraction algorithms. Is there a way of filtering distortion, disturbances and noise associated with the music itself (meaning there are no noise signatures available).

Secondly: Is it possible conceptually to compile a set of filters through which we could pass any low-quality mp3 file and get studio quality output. Am aware this is too much to expect but something close to it can probably be achieved. These days the limitation on innovation is imagination - or lack of it - itself!

Gratefully,
Ramanna.
Last edited by Ramanna on 21 Jan 2007, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The only thing I have done is to use the equalizer in iTunes on playback and try to reduce certain frequencies to remove the distortions in the music itself, and if there is no in-built preset, I create a new one for that track. For several tracks, I have been able to enhance the voice without the distortions, but for many others, the voice and the distortions are in the same frequency range, and no amount of 'filtering' helps, becuase you have to throw out the baby with the bath water. If these tracks are particularly bothersome, I just delete them! I have not used any filters while recording.

mohan

Post by mohan »

A useful free utility I just came across is mp3DirectCut, available at
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

The feature "Track splitting with filename and tag creation" is very useful!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

I tried with a large file that came my way , with this tool and Lo !!!
http://rapidshare.com/files/100115321/NEDN.mp3
Thanks, Mohan , for the utility.
Now If Prashanth has recovered from his exertions, He should be finding something very very delightful here-Music academy 1999 - Nednuri.
Name of Composer Please !!
Last edited by coolkarni on 17 Mar 2008, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

Kji

Palu vicharamu is Sree Annamacharya's.

hyd27007177

Post by hyd27007177 »

mohan wrote:A useful free utility I just came across is mp3DirectCut, available at

Thanks for the information. I have downloaded and tried this software. I find this to be very useful for splitting the files.

Is there any feature which in this software which enables me to listen the song while I am recording ?

This facility is available in audacity.

thanks
regares

khyd27007177
I

mohan

Post by mohan »

For recording and editing (like increasing the levels or reducing hiss), audacity is much better.

I have had problems with the splitting of late in mp3DirectCut. Maybe I am doing it the wrong way. Can someone explain the best way to do it?

Mahalakshmi

Post by Mahalakshmi »

mohan wrote:A useful free utility I just came across is mp3DirectCut, available at

This site is extremely useful in trimming. I want to know how to reduce unwanted noises in a mp3 file and how to append two files. Please help.
Thank you
Last edited by Mahalakshmi on 17 Oct 2008, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

raghukumar

Post by raghukumar »

I'm a big fan of mp3splitter