Learning Music theory methodically

To teach and learn Indian classical music
karthik76

Post by karthik76 »

Namaskaram !!!

My name is Karthik. I am a new member to this forum.

I am interested in learning the theory and science of our shAstrIya sangItam. I don't know where to start - it intimidates me. Can any of you guide me to web sites or books where I can start teaching myself methodically?

Thanks.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

Professor P. Sambamoorthy's "South Indian Music" volumes I - VI are written in English and may be a good place to start.

karthik76

Post by karthik76 »

I looked up the books here -

https://www.vedamsbooks.com/no29785.htm

The content seems very organized and the books are affordable ($ 50 for the entire set).

madhurya

Post by madhurya »

i am a musician and musicologist living in malleswaram area of bangalore and running a music institution. i would be willing to teach you thro' mail.

mag

Post by mag »

madhurya wrote:i am a musician and musicologist living in malleswaram area of bangalore and running a music institution. i would be willing to teach you thro' mail.
hello sir,

i'm Magen a french percussionnist.i'm from mauritius but i've been live in france since i'm a child.my ancestors are from madras and my religion is tamil.
i tell you that because i think its why now as a musician i want to learn carnatik percussion.i'm working kanjira but for the moment i do it by myself as i can't find any guru in france.i would like learn konnakol and apply it on kanjira i think that i've really find my instrument.i can work my hand as long as i want but i need the vocabulary and the right one.i'm looking for a teacher with whom i could work by video sending by mail.i don't know how to do otherwise as i can't afford a journey in india for the moment.could you help me in anyway.my email:m.magen@yahoo.fr
thank you
Last edited by mag on 27 Sep 2007, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Hi Karthik, Sambamurthy's book is certainly exhaustive but rather intimidating for a beginner. I started with L Sub's book called "Euphony" myself and found it to be a great primer but I am not sure it is easily available. There is also a good introductory book by Ravikiran which should be available in Chennai.

If you are in Chennai do visit the Carnatic Music Bookstore in a by-lane connecting Royapettah High Road and RK Salai

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, mag, Accidentally, today only I have seen your post and I would like to suggest some rhythmical exercises for your regular practice. Try to download the rhythmical item Nos. 05,06, 25 to 59 of the mp3 CD along with the text aavailable from - http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~chandra/ - and practice well. If you want any help in this matter you can contact my e-mail address 'msakella2002@yahoo.co.in' or my ID ‘msakella2002’ either by Yahoo Messenger or Skype between 7 & 8 am or pm of Indian time. With best wishes, amsharma.