summer vs regular learning

Classical Dance forms & related music
neha

Post by neha »

I know of children who go and learn in summer from India and practise during the year.When we learn regularly in US they tend to get more classes.Which approach would benefit a child who is at the medium level.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Regular learning is probably the best way to go about this. During the summer, a supplemental program in India with the guru's knowledge and advice (so styles do not clash) may help accelerate the process a bit. I know of several students who, during the summer, attend camps (here in the US) or special classes back in India conducted by their guru's guru. I am not sure how these work.
Having said that, people do live in areas where access to a guru year-round is tough. In such cases, I guess one could make a case for learning from someone (could be in India, or even in another city here in the US) for short periods intensively, with practice in the intervening periods. If there was a mechanism set up for video tapes/dvds/digital images of the student's practice sessions to be viewed and corrected by the long-distance guru, it will increase the usefulness of this technique. Of course, closer to an arangERRam, the hope is that the student and the teacher work in the same physical space for extended periods to perfect and polish.