Monsoon Farmaish

Classical Music of North India
vijay

Post by vijay »

Chennai is far away from seeing any rains yet but one of the few advantages of travel is not missing out on the charms of the Indian monsoon (Chennai's rainy season somehow seems to scant and belated)....even the plane seemed to be hopping with joy as it landed on the drenched tarmac. Most of my co-passengers sprinted to the terminal building - I decided to enjoy the shower (it's great to get went so long as you don't have to spend the rest of the day in soggy clothes)...

So now that the rains gods have started about showering their annual blessings, shall we receive them with some nice monsoon ragas? Megh would be an obvious choice. Basant/Basant Bahar maybe...Coolji what monsoonal melodies can you pour out of your akshaya pattaram?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cool,
Now that the other thread is brimming with the poetic postings of our fellow music lovers about their evolution-- including the starter of this thread--wouldn't it be nice to trace their route? Continue Vijay's mood and post Mohd Rafi's zindagi bhar nahIn bhUlEgi vO barsAth ki rAt, unless it is taboo to include film music? Of course, you raise the CMness of it notch by notch as you go along...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Great Vijay! Dancing in the Rain!
salilam varShaya varShaya
sangItam sincaya sincaya
Anandam vardhaya vardhaya

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Vijay
Just to think that I was spending close to three hours today evening, chatting with Ram and Bharath on the same subject..
Hindusthani Music- at my humble abode in Guindy.

Your comments remind me of the occasion ,when my Dad came visiting, when I graduated from a Rented Room to a Rented Flat for the first time in the 80s .
Dropping his things in the Hall (I Lived at the Reddamma Apartments in Virugambakkam) he walked to all the windows of my second storey flat and came back exclaiming " I cannot see a piece of the sky from any of your windows .How Am I going to tune myself to nature here.Dont tell me that you have been listening to Hindusthani Music in such a place - A room without a view ?"

Yes .I will do as you bid.Not just Megh , but all the shades of the emotion that symbolises an aching Thirst and an overdue Quenching.

Sure enough, we missed you today ...

Arasi
Yes Film Music could be taboo here .But Yes we will go throigh it notch by notch.
Last edited by coolkarni on 13 Jun 2007, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Amen, CML :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

coolkarni wrote:Arasi
Yes Film Music could be taboo here .But Yes we will go throigh it notch by notch.
Arasi,
I guess, as long as you opened the gates and asked for zindagI bhar...why not, ik laDkI bhIgi bhAgI sI or barsAt mein, humse milE tum sajan...or even 'ghanan ghanan ghan' (which incidentally is my daughter's favorite)?

vijay

Post by vijay »

Arasi, I am game for film music as well, wherever appropriate - "Pyaar hua iqraar hua hai" (Shree 420) is my favourite monsoon tune...But somehow HM seems just the thing for the monsoons. In particular I remember Kishori Amonkar's Basant Bahaar (Spring = Monsoons in my books at least!) during a rainy road trip along the Western Ghats. I got Rashid Khan's Megh on a whim yesterday but was a tad disappointed.

CML, I was not so much dancing (now that would really be a sight!) as ambling along. Anyway, your lines pretty much sum up how I felt!

Coolji, enlist me for your next lecture on HM as well. Meanwhile awaiting I am bracing myself for your musical cyclones...all those shades and forms of longing....ALL of them!!

meena

Post by meena »

vijay

until kji complies and floods us with his monsoon collections :)
i suggest u this awesome HM site: DELETED
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Living in a country where rain is just nondescript we envy you folks enjoying the arrival of monsoon with the firy displays of cloud-burst. Just saw the old movie 'aaDavantha deivam' where TR Mahalingam intunes with the rhythm of the raindrops the fine song
'SoTTu Sottunnu SoTTuthu paaru a^NgE
mazhai koTTu koTTunnu koTTuthu paaru ingE'

Who again can forget the immortal kALidAsa in ^RitusamhAra welcoming the music of monsoon majestically:
sashIkara ambhodhara matta ku~njaras
taDit patAkO' shani shabda mardalaH |
samAgatO rAjavat uddhata dyutir
ghanAgamaH kAmijanapriyaH priyE ||

(Oh, dear, now the kingly monsoon is onset with its clouds containing raindrops, as its ruttish elephants in its convoy, and with sky flashes of lighting as its pennants and buntings, and with the thunders of thunderbolts as its percussive drumbeats, thus this rainy season has come to pass, radiately shining forth like a king, for the delight of voluptuous people...)

ram

Post by ram »

Two Bollywood songs that immediately come to my mind while thinking about monsoon are:
* Jhooti Mooti Mitwaa Aawan Bole, Bhaadon Bole Kabhi Saawan Bole (Rudaali)
* Saawan Aaye Ya Na Aaye Jiya Jab Jhoome Saawan Hai (Dil Diya Dard Liya)

One song that must be avoided lest the rains listen and run away is Anu Malik's "Dekho Baarish Ho Rahi Hai … it’s raining … it’s raining .. it’s raining" ;)
Last edited by ram on 13 Jun 2007, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Vijay
This is how I was visualizing you :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HHiWZKExam0

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

My favourite is the outdoor version of this song in the same film - Manzil.
Sigh... I miss the monsoon in Bombay
Last edited by thanjavur on 14 Jun 2007, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cool, All I asked for was a yamunA kalyANi piece--well, Rafi's--and when I return, what do I find? kAlidaSA to Kishore Kumar in the guise of Bachchan. And that other guy for a moment made me think it was Gene Kelly! Well, a carbon copy, but for the dancing!

Vijay,
Your mEgh post stirred all this umaD ghumaD of songs. I would like you to hear that Rafi song too. the kalingA warrior saying something here? I remember the marina mentioned somewhere else. Yes, my favorite too, that Shri 420 song: kahthA hai dil, rasthA mushkil and pyAr se phir kyOn DartA hai dil and so on.
CML is right. Those of us who have lived away from the rains of India have more of a nostalgia for the barsAti songs.
Would Cool kindly give us the yamunA kalyANi song?
I have a feeling it would become Vijay's farmAish too, if he has not heard it before...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Arasi
I will get back to your favourites a bit later.

Right now here is a track where the singer senses the mood for a Megh by looking around him and goes on to say -Let me first sing something which my heart aches to , and then I will sing as you please.
This is from the start of one the most outstanding concerts of Fateh Ali Khan-
somewhere along the line he demonstrates the styles of three other closely related schools which are fast becoming extinct
http://www.sendspace.com/file/n4qnw0

And here are two tracks which I hope will catch the of Ramanathan / Sasikiran of Carnatica.I have been hoping for a long time now that they will feature a Dharwar Festival of sorts here in Chennai with artists like Sivanand Patil, Jeyatheerth Mevundi , Kaivalya Kumar, Venkatesh Kumar , Sripad Hegde and also a program where DKP honours Gangubai Hangal !!
With stalls of Line Bazar Pedha also making their presence
:P

Until those dreams come true , let us listen to the likes Sivanand Patil here singing first Brindavani Malhar and next Jayanth Malhar

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nsi0g6
http://www.sendspace.com/file/r71o32
Last edited by coolkarni on 14 Jun 2007, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks for the links Meena and for the uploads Coolji - hope to grab them later today.

Arasi, I've of course heard the Rafi song you mention - it is one of my favourites. Another favourite, if somewhat ranchy, is Aaj Rapat Jaayen from Namak Halal. Completely agree with Ram on the worst rain-song - Anu Malik is right up there on top of my hate list along with Himesh Rashmaiyya!

CML I am nowhere near that batty or as skilled with my feet!

meena

Post by meena »

ur welcome vijay

here a small list of rain songs:
DELETED
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

CM doesnt have these classifications....but hearing this chittibabu magic make me wonder if we can call malayamarutam a monsoon ragam...
http://esnips.com/doc/2f89122e-5add-453 ... nasayetulo

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

sharaabi sharaabi ye saawan ka mausam

http://www.badongo.com/file/3437759

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

thanjavur wrote:My favourite is the outdoor version of this song in the same film - Manzil.
Sigh... I miss the monsoon in Bombay
This is the best song about rain (but shows no rain n picturization of song??) in Indian films. Ustad Kishore Kumar from Khandwa gharana, MadhyaPradesh (as the music expert Sri Rajan Parrikar addresses
in his various internet mails) is simply bemisaal here. It just reminds me of the natural Indian fragrance- rain on a dry soil.

Some other greats are barsat-ki-raat/garjat-barse-saawan-aayo-re, zindagi-bhar-nahi-bhulegi,
Asha's dekho bijli dole bin baadal ke,

I would'nt put malaya-maarutam under rainy-season related.

Happy Rains!!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

knandago2001 wrote:sharaabi sharaabi ye saawan ka mausam

http://www.badongo.com/file/3437759
bilkul sharAbi....piyE bin Aj hamE chaDA hai nashA!!!:D
bahut shukriyA!

meena

Post by meena »

On monsoon melodies : AIR’s programme on Malhar ragas was praiseworthy for the concept but not execution

DELETED
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

shortcomings in execution will be made up at rasikas.org
:D
Last edited by coolkarni on 16 Jun 2007, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sqf7id

Malhar -Nazakath-Salamath- Sawan Ki Rut Aayi

http://www.sendspace.com/file/b4glqb

Malhar Mala-Parveen-Bhajan
Last edited by coolkarni on 16 Jun 2007, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

humne sab ko yaad kiya magar kishore ji ko nahin? ye naa mumkin hai.... lijiye ab prastut hai "mere naina saawan bhaadon"

http://www.badongo.com/file/3444806

subram

Post by subram »

Here are links for two old classics. One from Barsat ki Raat and the other from Malhar (Seems it may amount to indiscretion)

--commercially released songs, hence removed by admin--

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

subram
It is indiscretion only if you refer to it, perhaps.
Sometimes I do the same when the thread demands it in an overwhelming manner.
It is a bit like accidently dropping a fork in an expensive restaurant.It would be an indiscretion THERE to start moving the tables and chairs around , upsetting other diners in the process ,just to get at that fork.
It is better to continue as though nothing has happened..

:D
Last edited by coolkarni on 17 Jun 2007, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cool,
You're not breaking the rules by your parables, are you? I am on my hands and knees looking for that fork, and who cares if a waiter trips with a fully laden tray, a fellow diner splills his soup all over him and someone at the table cuts herself with a knife ? Oops! Forks and knives do not come under the category of CM. Another penalty point for you. Not for me. If you had not mentioned 'fork', I would not have said knife...:)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Arasi
You caught me fair and square.I do break rules occasionally.
But if it does come to judgement day , I can aways argue my case and convince the Judge that I did it for the sake of spreading a good word and a good experience.

More than 50 % of participants under the age of 12 at a recent Classical Competition under a TV banner , did not know who Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer was.That too in Chennai.
Forums like these have a reason to be here and we all have a reason to act the way we do, simply because the odds are stacked heavily against us.

arasi

Post by arasi »

:)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Does this amount to copyvio? If yes, please dont share in public.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

srkris: The audio clips in question seem to be originals dating back to the 1950s and 1960s - not remixes. Also, Roshan was the man behind the music in both Barsaat Ki Raat and Malhar. Copyright violations seem unlikely. The lyrics and a commentary by Sri. Surajit A. Bose are given below:

“One of the loveliest Gaud-Malhar pieces I've ever heardâ€

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi,

Please see this link - http://store.nehaflix.com/cdfrpg120030-cd.html

It appears to be commercially released. Sorry, I am removing those links.