Dance pieces

Classical Dance forms & related music
Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have contributed some dance pieces by K.N.Dandayudapani Pillai to the Narthaki site. Some of these are available here:
http://www.indian-heritage.org/lyindex.html
More songs will be posted soon.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lji,
Thanks for posting the link. I looked at the list and was very impressed with KNDP's compositions. I was actually amazed by the composition on Jesus...Do you know when it was composed and the circumstances it was compsed in? I ask because, in the 1980's when my friend Miss Saldana wanted to learn a 'Christian piece' it was not very easy to find someone to choreograph it for her. Nowadays, with Fr. Dr. Barboza and his student Raul D'Souza and others in India, and Smt. Rani David in Maryland, the demand for, and the practice of a chiristian mArgam is getting more popular, but back then it was a VERY RARE exception, rather than the rule.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have no information on when or under what circumstances these songs were composed.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Meena/Lakshman:
Here I am. The URL for KND Pillai lists "pARkaDal alaimElE.." as a composition of KND. I seriously doubt it. It was written by Udumalai Narayana Kavi for a movie in which MLV sings it. Any thoughts?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

It is a composition of C. R. Subburama Iyer according to my records.

dnayar

Post by dnayar »

Lakshman,
Thanks for the wonderful contribution. Are the notations for these songs available anywhere?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I don't have the notations for pArkkaDal alaimElE but for the others I can locate the notations.

dnayar

Post by dnayar »

Thanks,
the quick response is appreciated :) I'll wait for the notations....Thanks again

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Which notations are you going to wait for? I can probably provide them for specific songs.