Rudrapriya

Rāga related discussions
balusatya

Post by balusatya »

I have just heard MD's Sri Thyagarajasya -Sangeethapriya.org-tributes to MD.Artist unknown-well rendered with swaram.
This is a janya of (22)-karaharapriya.

Are there any other kritis and links on this Raga?

vainika

Post by vainika »

See rasika Sri V. Govindan's blog
Last edited by vainika on 29 Mar 2009, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

THQ. My query is: Is there any other kriti ?

vainika

Post by vainika »

Balusatya the blog link was the response to your query as it listed several kritis in rudrapriyA.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

There's a very nice composition that starts with "amba para dEvatE" in khanda chappu by one Krishnaswamy Iyengar (?).

I've only heard it sung/played by Alathoor Bros, Kiranavali Vidyasankar and T Vishwanathan.
Last edited by Guest on 30 Mar 2009, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.

tribute

Post by tribute »

I was lucky to attend last year's Music Academy Raga Lakshana Session held in the mini hall.
IIRC The topic there was "Rudhrapriya, Karnataka Kapi, Darbar and Kaanada".
They discussed "Rudhrapriya" in detail. Maybe if you could get a audio recording of the session, you can understand better.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

vainika wrote:Balusatya the blog link was the response to your query as it listed several kritis in rudrapriyA.
Now I got it. Amazing! MD has composed 6 kritis on this Raga.Wish someone could popularise.How about you?Looks he has 2 kritis on the same raga-Rudrapriya in the Group kritis if I can call it so(although Thyagesam Bhajare is not included in the Thyagaraja Vibhakthi Kritis!)On a logical sense of inference could one of the two be misattributed to MD?.No offence.Just curious.
Last edited by balusatya on 30 Mar 2009, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

SrI-thyagarAjasya bhaktO, which is part of the Vibhakti set, is the only one from that set; not found in the Sangeetha sampradAya pradarshini.. It is the 6th vibhakthi song.

Thyagasam bhaja re found in the appendix, is in the second vibhakthi for which there is already that masterpiece thyagarAjayOgavaibhavam; hence the smaller rudrapriya isn't part of the set.

And amba paradevatE is by KriShNaswami Ayya..

vainika

Post by vainika »

keerthi wrote:SrI-thyagarAjasya bhaktO, which is part of the Vibhakti set, is the only one from that set; not found in the Sangeetha sampradAya pradarshini.. It is the 6th vibhakthi song.

Thyagasam bhaja re found in the appendix, is in the second vibhakthi for which there is already that masterpiece thyagarAjayOgavaibhavam; hence the smaller rudrapriya isn't part of the set.

And amba paradevatE is by KriShNaswami Ayya..
There are already two candidates for second vibhakti
tyAgarAjam bhajarE - yadukula kAmbhOjI - mishra chApu
tyAgarAjam bhajEham - nIlAmbarI - rUpakam

I don't believe the tyAgarAjayOgavaibhavam is part of the set, but dissenting opinions are welcome.
Last edited by vainika on 01 Apr 2009, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Enriching.

narayan

Re: Rudrapriya

Post by narayan »

Although a couple of hundred years late, I suggest Rudrapriya (of Amba paradevate fame), for the asampurna mela representative of the kharaharapriya set. Sri ragam, the current representative for Dikshitar and others, is a grand ragam, but has too fleeting a dhaivatam to do justice. Also, how does the name "sri" fit in the katapayadi logic?

vidya

Post by vidya »

narayan,
As far as the nomenclature goes our ancients can't be held responsible for us omitting the raga suffix.
The explanation for the katapayadi-ness of the name shrI is that the name as given in the granthas and textbooks is not just
shrI but shrIrAga. So leaving out the conjunct consonants and putting together the two 'r's does yield the magic number of 22.

Melodically I second your proposal!

CRama

Post by CRama »

One more song in Rudrapriya of Dikshitar- Rudrakopa jata veerabhadram asraye- sung majestically by TRS in a Radio programme.

ravir

Post by ravir »

Like to do a counter proposal here :grin: . IMO the best candidate for mela 22 would be Karnataka Kapi. For those naysayers let me qualify it as upanga version so that it meets the (flawed) entry criteria of bashanga ragas to be excluded from being the head of the clan/mela. And do go ahead and prefix it to suit the samkhya scheme - name it as you like frappe, cappucino,latte, filter et al :grin:

bhaskan

Post by bhaskan »

Need notations for Amba ParaDevate in Rudrapriya to nbhask@gmail.com

bhaskan

Post by bhaskan »

Need notations for Amba ParaDevate in Rudrapriya to nbhask@gmail.com