Kalkada

Rāga related discussions
thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Hello All!!!

Syama sastri has composed a luvly kirtanai in this ragam "Parvati ninnu nera"....but there is a confusion in this...while most popular schools treat Kalkada as a vivadhi raga...Hyderabad brothers treat is as Chakravakam's Janyam. They sing it similair to malayamarutham with arohana avarohanam being Sa Ri Ga Pa Dha Sa, Sa Ni Dha Pa Ga Ri Sa. I referred in a couple of books and both classify it as vivadhi.But for some reason, I am more convinced by the Hyd. Bros version, because their way of singing has such a luvly flow and more syama sastri like, than the Vivadhi version and its kalaprana. Can anyone please clarify.

Thanks
T

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Does anyone know what Smt Vidyashankar's pAThAntara is?

-Ramakriya

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Smt. Vidya Sankar's patanthra is vivadhi. I checked in her book.

arunk

Post by arunk »

i have heard nityashree's version which does have vivadi swara. I am not sure if that implies dhanammal tradition for syama sastry (Nityashri => DKP => Dhanammal's daughter => Dhannammal => Subbaraya Sastri => Syama Sastri). If so, then you have 2 pathanthras with direct connection to Syama Sastry that use the vivadi swara. That is pretty strong evidence.

It would help if we can trace the pathanthra of the non-vivadi version.

Arun

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Does any one else (other than Hyd brothers) sing the 16th mELa version?

Also, as an external evidence, how are tyagarAjas kalgaDa kriti is sung? I have not heard it- Since Tyagaraja and Syama Sastry seem to concur in the rAga usages, that might give a clue too.

-Ramakriya

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

I have heard Hyd bros sing it twice...one in a commercial release and one in a 1992 krishna gana sabha concert i think...I have heard a couple'a others sing it..all sang in vivadhi and something was missing in it...Infact I once heard Guitar Prasanna play it in the vivadhi version..and when I asked him which one is right..he said he thinks vivadhi is right and he also said he played it just bcos its vivadhi....

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

One more artist singing kalgaDa as a janya of mELa 16

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2 ... 220600.htm

This artist's guru is Mudikondan Venkatarama Iyer - So is the non-vivAdi pAthantara coming from this school ?

Has Smt Vedavalli sung this kriti?

-R

arunk

Post by arunk »

hey - actually i have this (and knew about the non-vivadi kalgada). I was meaning to check the artist's patantara from the CD sleeve but forgot all about it

if it is mudicondan venkatarama iyer patantara, there is authenticity w.r.t SS krithis, although i dont know how it traces back to SS.

Arun

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Ramakriya - Thanks for the links..

Arunk- Even I don't know if the non vivadhi patantara traces back to SS...but I feel thats the right one for some reasons. Firstly the kalapramana - if you sing the vivadhi version u need to sing it in a really slow tempo in order to express the "vivadhiness"...lol..

But the non vivadhi version, comes in a lively tempo, has more life in the keerthanai in my humble opinion.

T

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

will renderings by DKJ and Rajkumar Bharathi help ?

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Coolji

Absolutely. DKJ would be of great help. would be interesting to know in which patantara has he sung it.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

DKJ sings it as a janya of mELa 13 with shuddha nishADa.

-Ramakriya

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Parvati Ninnu - DKJ

at Nada Anuboothi

http://home.sprynet.com/~dsivakumar/music/intromus.htm

Music Categories > Carnatic - Vocal > Ragas K... > Kalagada