Song suggestions

Classical Dance forms & related music
natyasri

Song suggestions

Post by natyasri »

Hi,I need song suggestions to cover entire Ramayanam. Any language ok. Preferably margam format
For eg. " nee uraipai" to show Hanuman right before Sundarakandam
then Swayamvaram Sita - for Sita swayamvaram, ofcourse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu6dbEajgYk - this song
Jagadanandakaraka for the grand finale

Then, when Dasharatha announces Rama will be the king "Takkuvemi manaku, ramundokkadundu varaku".

i hope you all got what i am looking for. suggestions are welcome.

Thank you all in advance.

rshankar

Re: Song suggestions

Post by rshankar »

Very nice idea

Birth of rAma: pushpAnjali - traditional sollus - followed by the verse from vAlmIki rAmAyaNa that announces rAma's birth
rAma growing up: Thumaki calat rAmacandra - you can present this as a sabdam*
sItA kalyANam: your choice is perfect (a kIrtanam)
varNam; you could present jagadAnanda kAraka as a varNam* (just like how Smt. Vyjayantimala has presented sAdhincanE as a varNam)
nI uRaippAi hanumAnE traces parts from bAlakANDam (tATakA vadam in the first caraNam), just before araNyakANDam (rAma trying to convince her to stay back in ayOdhya in the second caranam), and ends with just before sundarakANDam.
indA vibhIshaNA lankApuri rAjyam: as another kIrtanam describing vibhIshaNa SaraNAgati
sarasa sAmadAna bhEda daNDa caturA - about punishing rAvaNA
kOlam kANa vArIr (by Ambujam Krishna) would serve as a final piece-cum-mangaLam

rAmanukku mannam muDi dharittAlE - is another kRti that could be used for the announcement of rAmA's coronation
*: These will need to be set in a new format to serve this purpose

natyasri

Post by natyasri »

thank you rshankar.
Awesome. i will look for recorded music for the same. let me know if you find any.

Regarding Pushpanjali - It is said that while starting Ramayana parayanam, one should start from sundarakanda. i have taken Madurai R muralidharan's pushpanjali in Vijayavasantham and choreographed using Sundarakanda as base/back-story - i hope you get what i mean.

Then i want to add some drama/ narration about Dasharatha, his wives and no kids. and then Rama is born. I was also thinking of Thumak Chalat. I am not sure if the small kids i am training will be able to carry that. OR i had "Sri Ramachandra Kripalu" on mind, indicating that he has descended on this earth.
Then drama/narration, and story goes on till Sita Kalyanam
At the point Song Sita Kalyanam song.
Then drama/narration and Dasharatha asks Rama to get ready for the coronation.
Here folkish - "Takkuvemi manaku" to show the mood of the people and their happiness that Rama will rule them

Then i wanted to bring in bits from Bhavayami Raghuramam, from , "vihata abhishekam" till charanam 4.

Drama/Narration between each charanam to fill the gaps and explain the audience in detail.

now, Nee uraipai Hanumane

Then Inda vibhishana (cant find the audio though) will fit here.

then Drama/narration (and Bits from Bhavayami?)

Then Sarasa Sama dana bheda danda chatura song showing the ultimate fight.

and rest as suggested by you
kOlam kANa vArIr (by Ambujam Krishna) would serve as a final piece-cum-mangaLam

rAmanukku mannam muDi dharittAlE - is another kRti that could be used for the announcement of rAmA's coronation
*: These will need to be set in a new format to serve this purpose

What do you mean by new format?
Also, i wanted to know if there are any kannada compositions and Thyagaraya compositions that will fit here. I was thinking a wonderful composition by Thaygaraya would be a befitting finalae. on that i remember some one did Ramayanam solely based on Thyagaraja compositions.

I also wanted to have an opinion on how it will look to add songs "ye theeruga nanu..." and "Marugelara" from Sita pt of view while she in Lanka.

Let me know what you think. Suggestions welcome.

Thank you

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

natyasri wrote:Regarding Pushpanjali - It is said that while starting Ramayana parayanam, one should start from sundarakanda. i have taken Madurai R muralidharan's pushpanjali in Vijayavasantham and choreographed using Sundarakanda as base/back-story - i hope you get what i mean.
Yes....it makes sense. :)
natyasri wrote:Then i want to add some drama/ narration about Dasharatha, his wives and no kids. and then Rama is born. I was also thinking of Thumak Chalat. I am not sure if the small kids i am training will be able to carry that. OR i had "Sri Ramachandra Kripalu" on mind, indicating that he has descended on this earth.
Then drama/narration, and story goes on till Sita Kalyanam
That will also work!
natyasri wrote:*: These will need to be set in a new format to serve this purpose
What do you mean by new format?
Meaning, if you use jagadAnanda kAraka (it was the 'jaya jAnaki prANa nAyaka' part that made me think of using this after sItA kalyANam) as a varNam, it will need to set with jatis, and the flow of the song reset to give it a proper pUrvAnga/uttarAnga feel, as in a varNam.
natyasri wrote:Also, i wanted to know if there are any kannada compositions and Thyagaraya compositions that will fit here. I was thinking a wonderful composition by Thaygaraya would be a befitting finale.
I will think about this and get back to you.
natyasri wrote:i remember some one did Ramayanam solely based on Thyagaraja compositions.
It was Dr. Ananda Shankar Jayant, and IIRC, the finale there was the saurAshTa mangalam.

vilomachapu

Post by vilomachapu »

If you are ending with Pattabhishekam, 'Mamava Pattabhirama' of Dikshitar would be most appropriate.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri R Shankar,
Excellent ! This is choreography. Very nice.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
10 09 2016

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Inda vibhISaNa by Bombay Sisters is available here:
http://play.raaga.com/tamil/song/album/ ... ana-268726

natyasri

Post by natyasri »

Thank you sir. I will download it.
Also Thank you all. Please let me know if any of you come up with suggestions anytime. i will keep you all posted on the progress. I plan to stage it around Aug-Sept 2017. work starts on Sept 23rd 2016.