Vid shri puttachar

Carnatic Musicians
niyer

Vid shri puttachar

Post by niyer »

Looking for life history and contributions of Mrudangam Vidwan Shri Puttachar.If anyone has this info, please kindly post

Sreeni Rajarao

Re: Vid shri puttachar

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I am happy to see this request!

I will write and post some pictures too in a day or two.
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 19 Jan 2016, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I will start with these pictures for now!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

A personal note: I realized just now that I was present on both occasions when the two pictures posted above were taken!

(Information below is compiled from the book Karnataka Sangeeta Kshetrada Nada Kanmanigalu, a publication from Sri Purandaradasara Aradhana Samiti Trust)

Vid Puttachar was born in the year 1898 in a village near Nelamangala in Karnataka. His Father Honnachar was known for his performances in Yakshagana and Bayalata form of stage plays. Honnachar was a known expert on the percussion instrument maddale used in Yakshagana performances. Young Puttachar learned the art of playing maddale from his father. He was also trained in vocal, violin and Harmonium. However, it was with mRdanga that Puttachar earned fame.

In his early years, Puttachar, as a tabala player was part of the Drama companies run by two big names in that field - Mohammad Peer and Gubbi Veeranna.

In 1923, Puttachar moved to Bangalore and formally trained in tabala under a vidvan named Puttacharya. He also trained in mRdanga from Kunjumani Iyer.

For over five decades, Puttachar was a prominent part of performances in Karnataka, accompanying all the established vocalists and instrumentalists in the state.

Puttachar was a very successful Guru, having trained several hundred students over the years. His son H P Ramachar was a very well known percussionist in Karnataka just like his Father. Other well known disciples were C Subbu, M S Ramaiah, L Bhimachar (Morching), M Vasudeva Rao and B Dhruvaraj.

Puttachar had written text books that helped students prepare for music examinations conducted by the state government.

Puttachar had received several awards and recognitions – prominent ones being awards from Karnataka Sangeeta Nritya Academy, Bangalore Gayana Samaja and Karnataka Ganakala Parishat.

Sri Puttachar passed away on December 11th 1981.

niyer

Post by niyer »

Thanks a ton for the information Sreeni Sir.