bhashanga ragas

Rāga related discussions
vankrish44

bhashanga ragas

Post by vankrish44 »

Dear Rasikas,

I would like to know the names of the all 26 or so , bhashanga ragas and the annya swaras which occur in each of those ragas.

V.Ananthanarayanan

harimau

Re: bhashanga ragas

Post by harimau »

vankrish44 wrote:Dear Rasikas,

I would like to know the names of the all 26 or so , bhashanga ragas and the annya swaras which occur in each of those ragas.

V.Ananthanarayanan
Why do you think there are only 26 bhashanga ragas?

There can be thousands.

Take any raga, add a swara that is not in its parent (janya) raga and you get a bhashanga raga.

As you have thousands of ragas, you can get thousands of bhashanga ragas.

vankrish44

Post by vankrish44 »

Thanks for clarification. I know that if any (anya)swara that is not present in the parent rraga, is added, you get a bhashanga raga. In a recent blog I read that there are 26 bhashanga ragas, like Katthanakuthoohalam, Neelambari, sahana, nalinakanthi are some of those 26 bhashanga ragas. I want to feel the specific difference between a bhashanga raga and its melakarta raga. Hence I wanted to know the details. If you can furnish those details, I will be very much thankful

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here are some of the bhASAnga rAgAs:
asavEri. punnAgavarALi, Anandabhairavi, aThANA, hindustanibehAg, sArangA, bhairavi, mukhAri, kAmbhOji, bilahari, nIlAmbari,

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Let me put in some info on the ragas I know.

bilahari: Normally N3 but very occasionally and probably quite rarely, it uses N2. As in 'Paridaanamicchithe' charanam second line beginning word 'Chakkani' the swaras are like 'D2, N2 D2 P D2 N2 D2'

Bhairavi: It uses both D1 and D2. Since its notional melakartha is naTabhairavi, we can say D1 is its native Dha and D2 is the bashanga usage ( side bar: The melakartha assignment may be considered a bit arbitrary given the frequency of usage of both D1 and D2. Both looks like first class citizens. One of the delightful phrases in Viriboni comes right at the beginning, something like: N N D2 N S. G R N S N D1 P, P D2 P D2 N N D1 P )

Mukhari: It uses both D1 and D2. Since its notional melakartha is karaharapriya, we can say D2 is is native Dha and D1 is the bashanga usage ( I think here we can make a better case that the melakartha assignment is better since the usage P N2 D2 SA is a identity-defining usage in the uttaranga and that the occasional usage D1 as in S N2 D1 P is what makes Mukhari sound like Bhairavi a little bit )

Kambhodi: Due to the use N3 in addition to its native N2.

sArangA: Due to its use of both M1 and M1

Please provide additions, elaborations and corrections.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

vasanthakokilam wrote:One of the delightful phrases in Viriboni comes right at the beginning, something like: N N D2 N S. G R N S N D1 P, P D2 P D2 N N D1 P )
I would like to make a small correction if I may. Agreeing that it is indeed a delightful set of phrases in the varnam, the phrase in bold should be P D1 P D2 - N N D1 P D2 N S R P D2 N S. When you observe the difference, the wonder and interest is heightened.

Please do correct me if I am wrong with the notation of the Ds.

hanquill

Post by hanquill »

I think khamboji is not a bhashanga raga.may be due to n3 coming mostly at the end.The clear bhashanga raga must have ,in addition to,addition or deletion from mela swara,it should have vakra prayogas also, tottaly differing from mela,showing its individuality.

vasanthakokilam

Ranganayaki, I missed your post before. I will let someone else comment on your correction. Hope there is consensus on the 'standard' version.

I now recall Chitraveena Ravikiran talking of a simple rule for bhairavi for when to use D1 in ascent. I will have to dig that up, it may be in one of his acharya.net lessons.
I would not venture a guess on the specifics but it is about whether the prayoga ascends up further or winds back down.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

In Bhairavi, the D2 is used only in phrases like : G R N D2 and in phrases where you ascend to the upper S. For all others use only D1.

Therefore in Viriboni it is -- P D1 P D1 N N D1 P D2 N S R

In Manji, you could use the D2 on any ascending phrase. Manji also likes to use phrases like "N S R (ending on the R2)"

Ananda Bhairavi is unique in that it uses all 3 dhaivatams.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Srinath for pitching in and refreshing us on the rule that I was thinking of.

Checked a couple of sources.

MSS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtayQialsJM ( sounds like P D1 P D1 )

Ramani: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxF33yx8pvo ( my swaragynana skills are at the kinder garten level but does the first P D sound different from the second P D ? May be that is what Ranganayaki refers to? )