Rediscovering a classical Hindustani musician

Classical Music of North India
meena

Post by meena »

Rediscovering a classical Hindustani musician: Pandit DV Paluskar
DELETED
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Ah ! can we request you for the photo again -from the Govt of India Calendar.

The hard copy looks down upon me magnificently , as i type this from my desk and i cannot locate the soft copy .
from the walls of my drawing room.

this picture is worth a thousand words.

Great subject for a documentary - given the fact that his father walked the length and breadth of this country - inspite of blindness- to set up music schools with the core concept that Music should ride piggy back on devotional themes , if it had to survive .

two all time favourites of mine from 78 rpm-miya malhar and marwa.
especially miya malhar from 1.20 to 1.50 -- the voice seems to peek through all those dark clouds ...

http://www.rogepost.com/n/4765812759
http://www.rogepost.com/n/5210139358

Music that has stood the test of time !!

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted

vijay

Post by vijay »

Kulkarniji, do you have any full-length concerts? I am desperate to hear him and there is hardly anything available commercially...I have hunted in Delhi, Cal and Chennai but haven't found anything other than collections of short pieces

padren68

Post by padren68 »

Vijay: there are 2 tapes rel by HMV one has a beautiful sri, a couple of bhajans and raghupati raghava rajaram.
If I remember right, AIR has rel a couple cds of his. I bought it a few years back from AIR, Beach Road, Chennai. You may try there. If u r interested in the HMV albums, I can forward to u the links (may have to convert). Mail me your email id.
Paluskar and BGAK has been my all time fav.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

pity.
No one ever knows what a full length concert of dvp would be like.
The closest that we can come to(to a concert in that period) is

the full length concert of omkarnath thakur at academy with msg

and the concert of bade Ghulam Ali that I accidentally bumped into ( in a set of tapes wrongly labelled as Ghulam Ali with a person who was not aware of the importance of his treasure)
This concert was at rama seva mandali in bengaluru in 1956 and we at rasikas had gone through the full 3 1/2 hours- may be we can have a rerun after your season is over!)

The longest recording on a commercial tape is of a rendering of raga SREE.That is a classic and should be available in all stores.

padren68

Post by padren68 »

I bought the DVP's tape with SREE in a music shop in one of the narrow streets in Calcutta in the early 90s. That album was originally rel in LP by gramaphone india / HMV. Great Music...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

I wish all the members (including silent members) will goad their Uncles/Aunties, Thathas / Paatis to part with those old tapes in the attic - and see what is inside them --
who knows what surprises are there in store for us..

We are all so lucky when it comes to Carnatic Music-
How can we ever thank those souls who recorded it for posterity !!

May God Bless them all ....

vijay

Post by vijay »

Well, that's that as far as my dreams of haring DVP's full-fledged concert are concerned...anyway, let me see if the Shree is available...

You're right Kulkarniji, CM is luckier in terms of old recordings....wonder why that is so since otherwise HM seems to be more popular? Is there a good forum for HM like this one?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

I have not come across a similar forum.But there are huge collectors of HM no doubt.
Wish I had a twin, who had settled down in mumbai !!

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted

vijay

Post by vijay »

Sure there are many collectors but probably not as well networked - perhaps because they are geographically disperesed in cities such as Mumbai and Calcutta besides, of course, many small towns...

Meena thanks for the links

BTW, Padren68, forgot to mention my mail ID - vijaysarma@hotmail.com

kaapi

Post by kaapi »

coolkarni wrote:I wish all the members (including silent members) will goad their Uncles/Aunties, Thathas / Paatis to part with those old tapes in the attic - and see what is inside them --
who knows what surprises are there in store for us..
Then who will convert all those spool tapes ?

meena

Post by meena »

kaapi

one small step at a time- spool tape first pl. ;) ;)