Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar

Carnatic Musicians
Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

Can someone shed some light on this great artist from Mysore? I heard an audio recording of hers and it was really good. She has such a great padantharam and voice.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I have heard great things about her music, but have not been able to find any recorded music. I was told by some vendors in Bangalore that I will not be able to find any commercial recordings of hers as she does not allow that. Some vendors suggested checking out stores in Mysore as the artiste is from Mysore.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I hear that she is a very good vocalist. Yet to hear her singing. I have heard her play the ghatam many times and she is extremely talented as a percussionist...

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

I know that Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar and Smt. Sukanya Ramgopal are two different musicians. Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar is a vocalist and is a disciple of Sri Mysore Ramaratnam. Smt. Sukanya Ramgopal is the ghatam artist.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sorry, Jayshri, I do get confused with the Sukanyas! If Sukanya Ramgopal is the one who plays the ghatam, she also sings, is what I have heard. Could you clarify it for me? Then there is veteran vocalist Neela Ramgopal!
I have to try and listen to Sukanya Prabhakar too in concert, now that you tell me who her guru is.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

sukanyA prabhAkar is a disciple of mysore V rAmaratnam. I believe she took up a study of the mahArAja of Mysore's compositions for her doctoral thesis in music which culminated in a publication of the lyrics of the krithis. She also has a wide repertoire of compositions of composers of mysore like vAsudEvAccAryA, sadAShiva rAu, vINA padmanAbhayyA, ShEshanna, among others.

sukanyA rAmgOpal is indeed a ghaTam vidushi and she has some strong training in vocal music. I heard one of her lecture demonstrations years ago where she played a krithi by playing several different sizes of ghatams and it sounded very vocal-like.
Last edited by kmrasika on 24 Sep 2007, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

Anusha

Post by Anusha »

Dr. Sukanya Prabhakar is a musician of great repute. She has a deep voice and renders pure classical music. I understand that she will also be singing in the morning slot at the Music Academy this year.
I had the privilege of listening to her quite a few times this year at Bangalore. Her concert at Venugopalaswamy temple, for Gokulashtami (about 10 days back) was very good. Cheta shri balakrishnan in Dwijavanti was sung after a detailed alapanai, which was a listener's delight.
Dr. Sukanya Prabhakar has been passionately conducting a programme called "Geetha Shastra Sinchana" in Bangalore from May 2007. Held on the last Sunday of each month, it features compositions of not-so-well-known composers from Mysore. In the first hour, she gives details about the composer's life, main compositions etc. After that some of the compositions are rendered. The composers featured so far-
H. Yoganarasimham, R.N. Doraiswamy, Veena Padmanabhayya(guru of Mysore Vasudevacharya)
There are no accompanists. For the first 2 months Dr. Sukanya sang all krithis herself. Last month, one of her students had come along, who sang very well too.

This month's schedule-
Date & Time : 30 September 2007, 5:30 pm
Venue : Ananya Sabhangana
Malleswaram, Bangalore
(I don't know the name of the composer to be featured this month!)

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

Has Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar released any Carnatic Vocal recordings? Does anyone know where they are available?

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Jayashri wrote:Has Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar released any Carnatic Vocal recordings? Does anyone know where they are available?
I think there's just a double album of jayacAmarAjEndra woDeyAr kr.tIs. Check the woDeyar thread for info.
In the meanwhile, there's one good concert of hers here: http://mt.iadvaita.com/songs.php?albumid=62. She renders a rare composition of Wodeyar in bhOgavasanta (sounded kumudapriyA-like) preceded with a haunting AlApana.
Last edited by kmrasika on 01 Oct 2007, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

SSK

Post by SSK »

Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar rendered two compositions of her guru Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam on the occasion of Professor's 90th Birthday Celebrations in Mysore on Dec 25, 2007. I have the whole event as DVD's. If someone can point me to "how to convert DVD to mpeg video" then I can post them on utube and post a link on this thread. Any help will be highly appreciated.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

I have seen her recordings available on krtishilpa, a bangalore based audio company. Having atended a few of her concerts, i can safely state that there are hardly any people who can render yadukula kambodhi like her..The sancharas and sangatis are so breathtaking!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

kmrasika wrote:
Jayashri wrote:Has Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar released any Carnatic Vocal recordings? Does anyone know where they are available?
I think there's just a double album of jayacAmarAjEndra woDeyAr kr.tIs. Check the woDeyar thread for info.
In the meanwhile, there's one good concert of hers here: http://mt.iadvaita.com/songs.php?albumid=62. She renders a rare composition of Wodeyar in bhOgavasanta (sounded kumudapriyA-like) preceded with a haunting AlApana.
Bhogavasanta is s r g m d n s - s n d m g r s fom 51st mELa.

You can find more about this rAga here: http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3317

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

SSK wrote:Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar rendered two compositions of her guru Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam on the occasion of Professor's 90th Birthday Celebrations in Mysore on Dec 25, 2007. I have the whole event as DVD's. If someone can point me to "how to convert DVD to mpeg video" then I can post them on utube and post a link on this thread. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Maybe you could try this: http://www.amigoshare.com/. It'll be a real treat to hear her. She also sometimes sings together with nAgamNi ShrInAth or P ramA(other disciples of Dr. rAmaratnam).
matterwaves wrote:I have seen her recordings available on krtishilpa, a bangalore based audio company.
Do you know the titles? I've not seen any albums from this vocalist in Chennai stores.
Do you have the address for this store as well?

ramakriya: Thank you for the info. I was wondering about the use of the dhaivata and I understood after I read the thread.
Last edited by kmrasika on 02 Oct 2007, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

SSK

Post by SSK »

Hi All:

Thanks. Will try and convert the dvd to mpeg and post it on google or utube.

SSK

Post by SSK »

Hi Folks:

I have uploaded a AVI file in to google video.. The video is about 1 hr or so.. Has initial program announcements, invocation by Smt. Sukanya followed presentation of Prof. Ramarathnam's compositions by Smt. Sukanya, P. Rama, Chandrika, Radhika and Uma and so on.. I have also enabled down load of this video. So, if any of you have a way to break the video in to logical chunks,it would be great. Right you click on the following link and it loads the entire clip and you have to fast forward to artists of your interest.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7089201289

If you can break up the clip in to logical pieces send me a copy or pointer to the chunks..

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

SSK: We are indeed very grateful for this delightful documentation of this event. Sure sheds light on good talent from Bangalore. The video is rather large and I was only able to hear halfway.

Sukanya prabhAkar's renditions:

The invocatory piece was an ugabhOga by vAdirAja(?? - had the "hayavadana" angkiTa):
gajamukha vandisuvE - nATTa - Adi

1. paripAlisau janani paramEShvari - AbhOgi - Adi p. 8
2. jyOtirmaya rUpAya - suraTi - miShra cApu p.12

P. Rama:

1. girirAja kumAri - kEdAragauLa - Adi

shishya or teluguites:
can you transliterate the lyrics for the songs? They are on: http://www.mysorevramarathnam.org/books ... 82_106.pdf (Item #1 on pg 8, #2 on 12 and #3 on pg 14). Nice krithis on dEvi for navarAtrI.

Maybe someone can spilt the file on several parts for easier listening.
Last edited by kmrasika on 04 Oct 2007, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

shishya

Post by shishya »

kmrasika said:

shishya or teluguites:
can you transliterate the lyrics for the songs? They are on: http://www.mysorevramarathnam.org/books ... 82_106.pdf (Item #1 on pg 8, #2 on 12 and #3 on pg 14). Nice krithis on dEvi for navarAtrI.

The text in the link you provided is in Kannada and not Telugu. The first kriti is SaraNu pramamtha gaNapati. Since Kannada script is close to Telugu, I could make it out. Also, the page numbers start with 136. Are you sure this is the right link?

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

shishya wrote:kmrasika said:

The text in the link you provided is in Kannada and not Telugu. The first kriti is SaraNu pramamtha gaNapati. Since Kannada script is close to Telugu, I could make it out. Also, the page numbers start with 136. Are you sure this is the right link?
I think it is karuNinu?
It is hard to distinguish K and S in kannada prints (just my eyes). I can read telugu better.
Last edited by Suji Ram on 04 Oct 2007, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

For those interested - the first song (in page 136 of the link provided is here:

rAga: tODi. tALa: rUpaka

pallavi:

karuNisu pramatha gaNapate kAmitagaLa koDuva dEva

anupallavi:

karikalabhamukha gauri tanaya bhaktara poreva parama dayAkara

charaNa:

kamanIya caturbhAhu kamalAyata lOchana
pASAnkuSadhara parama pavitra vighnanivAraNa rAmakarArcita

राग: तोडि. ताळ: रूपक

पल्लवि:

करुणिसु प्रमथ गणपतॆ कामितगळ कॊडुव देव

अनुपल्लवि:

करिकलभमुख गौरि तनय भक्तर पॊरॆव परम दयाकर

चरण:

कमनीय चतुर्भाहु कमलायत लोछन
पाशाङ्कुशधर परम पवित्र विघ्ननिवारण रामकरार्चित

ರಾಗ: ತೋಡಿ. ತಾಳ: ರೂಪಕ

ಪಲ್ಲವಿ:
ಕರುಣಿಸು ಪ್ರಮಥ ಗಣಪತೆ ಕಾಮಿತಗಳ ಕೊಡುವ ದೇವ

ಅನುಪಲ್ಲವಿ:
ಕರಿಕಲಭಮುಖ ಗೌರಿ ತನಯ ಭಕ್ತರ ಪೊರೆವ ಪರಮ ದಯಾಕರ

ಚರಣ:

ಕಮನೀಯ ಚತುರ್ಭಾಹು ಕಮಲಾಯತ ಲೋಛನ
ಪಾಶಾಂಕುಶಧರ ಪರಮ ಪವಿತ್ರ ವಿಘ್ನನಿವಾರಣ ರಾಮಕರಾರ್ಚಿತ

రాగ: తోడి. తాళ: రూపక

పల్లవి:
కరుణిసు ప్రమథ గణపతె కామితగళ కొడువ దేవ

అనుపల్లవి:
కరికలభముఖ గౌరి తనయ భక్తర పొరెవ పరమ దయాకర

చరణ:
కమనీయ చతుర్భాహు కమలాయత లోఛన
పాశాంకుశధర పరమ పవిత్ర విఘ్ననివారణ రామకరార్చిత

രാഗ: തോഡി. താള: രൂപക

പല്ലവി:
കരുണിസു പ്രമഥ ഗണപതെ കാമിതഗള കൊഡുവ ദേവ

അനുപല്ലവി:
കരികലഭമുഖ ഗൌരി തനയ ഭക്തര പൊരെവ പരമ ദയാകര

ചരണ:
കമനീയ ചതുര്ഭാഹു കമലായത ലോഛന
പാശാങ്കുശധര പരമ പവിത്ര വിഘ്നനിവാരണ രാമകരാരച്ചിത

ராக: தோடி. தாள: ரூப1க1

பல்லவி:
கருணிசு ப்ரமத2 க3ணப1தெ1 காமித1கள கொடுவ தே3வ

அனுப1ல்லவி:
கரிக1லப4முக2 கௌ3ரி தனய ப4க்தர பொரெவ பரம த3யாக1ர

ச1ரண:
கமனீய ச1து1ர்பா4ஹு கமலாயத1 லோச2ன
பாஸா2ங்கு1ஸ2த4ர பரம பவித்ர விக்4னனிவாரண ராமக1ரார்ச்சித1

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Suji Ram wrote:It is hard to distinguish K and S in kannada prints (just my eyes). I can read telugu better.
I am sure you meant N and S ;)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

ramakriya wrote:
Suji Ram wrote:It is hard to distinguish K and S in kannada prints (just my eyes). I can read telugu better.
I am sure you meant N and S ;)
Well yes, also N and S as you can see my mistake! just didn't think what I was writing :)
Last edited by Suji Ram on 04 Oct 2007, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

SSK

Post by SSK »

There are two more short videos (< 10 mins) that I have uploaded from the event:

1. Vidwan Subramanyam rendering Prof. Ramarathnam's Composition in RithiGowla "KamaKoti Peetasthithe", Adi tala. Composition in Sanskrit.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5278&hl=en

2. Smt. Gayathri Satyanarayana and Smt. Uma Prasanna rendering Professor's composition in Kalani "Pathitha Pavana Ninnu" Khanda Chapu Tala. This is a composition in Telugu.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4266&hl=en

I would like add that, Professor had help and guidance from scholars and musicologists such Sri Pu Thi Narasimhachar and Sri Rallapalli Ananthakrishna Sharma garu. It is indeed hard to compose scholarly compositions, and unless one is a saint like the trinity's of carnatic music, or the father of carnatic music sri Purandara Dasa himself. Professor could not have done it without the help of these scholars.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

shishya wrote:kmrasika said:

shishya or teluguites:

I think so. It is on his website under the link of e-books. I thought I made out the word AbhOgi for the first kriti rendered and the suraTi kriti was on the document. I still don't understand how letters are conjugated in telugu and kannDa, hence I couldn't transliterate them myself. With regard to the page numbers, they're actually the numbers that correspond to the box at the bottom of the page (i.e. Adobe Acroabat document page number).

SSK: These are nice and rare pieces rendered by good artistes. It was heartening to see the guru honoring his students with ponnADai.
Last edited by kmrasika on 06 Oct 2007, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.

Ramaprasad

Post by Ramaprasad »

I am sure most of you would have read the following review of Sukanya Prabhakar's concert:

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/10/05/stor ... 110300.htm

It appeared in The Hindu, October 5, 2007 (Bangalore section)

SSK

Post by SSK »

Thanks for all the out pouring love for the and affection for an artist, who as Cleveland Sundaram said "may be one the only know last link to the giants in the field of carnatic music and the music of yesteryears".. Prof. Ramarathnam is 90 and counting, and he has still managed to keep as much of a active life style, as possible at that age.

It is great to see "Ramakriya" translate the first Todi composition in to various languages, so quickly. We all would love to see more compositions translated, for the benefit of rasikas.

nnramya

Post by nnramya »

Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar has quite a few albums to her credit. I have heard her concerts. I was lucky enough to attend her workshops and interact with her. She is a wonderful teacher and a wonderful person. If someone in Mumbai is interested in getting her albums, I can give you a contact number. Do let me know.

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

Hi nnramya, I am very interested in procuring her albums. Please can you let me know? Thanks

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

nnramya : If you know anywhere in Chennai where I can get her albums, please let me know.

nnramya

Post by nnramya »

Jayashri and kmrasika, please give me a couple of days to find out if there is anyway to get the albums in Chennai. Will let you know.

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

nnramya, I live in the US. Is there any way I can order them from here?

SSK

Post by SSK »

Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar is performing at the Chennai Music Academy oN December 19, 2007 at 9:00 AM. I am hoping the academy hall will be filled. I have been hearing that, attendance at various venues in Chennai is not good at all, with the exception of evening 6 - 7 PM slots and some very popular artists.. May be regular Chennai residents can speak better...

nnramya

Post by nnramya »

Jayshri : I just asked the concerned people for sources in Chennai and Bangalore. I will ask about the US as well. Let you know soon.

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

nnramya, thanks for the help.

nnramya

Post by nnramya »

If anyone in Bangalore/Mysore is really interested in her CDs/cassettes, please get in touch with me. For others, in Chennai / US, just give me some more time to organise things. Thanks!

nnramya

Post by nnramya »

Jayshri : Have got the details regarding Smt.Sukanya Prabhakar's recordings. Please email me if you are interested.

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 07 May 2008, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

subru

Post by subru »

Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar's guru is the esteemed Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam who is the retired principal of the Mysore University College of Music & Dance. He is a disciple of the great T. Chowdiah who made it possible for him to develop a close association and learn a large number of compositions from Mysore Vasudevacharya, Ariyakudi, Chembai, Maharajapuram and Alathoor Brothers. Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar's guru is a vocalist par excellence, composer, author of more than 13 books on the theory and practical aspects of music, a great guru who has trained hundreds of students and many performing artists of repute. You can visit his site at:

http://www.mysorevramarathnam.org

Subramanian

shriroop

Post by shriroop »

Dr. Sukanya Prabhakar is a versatile singer hailing from Mysore. She has done her doctorate on compositions of Maharaja of Mysore Sri. Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar. The speciality of her music is the variety. Each concert will have something special at least a new kriti which will not be much familiar. Her speciality is rendering of songs written by less known composers like Helavana Katte Giriamma and Harapanahalli Bheemavva.

She is most sincere to the concerts and the way she performs with dedication always with a smile, Good manodharma and Great Bhava elevates the concerts to the great hight. A series of programs she has given after a dedicated hard work and good amount of research at Ananya Bangalore on a series known as the work of lesser known composers covering the biography, their work on Carnatic music and rendering of their compositions highlighting the speciality of their compositions is real treat to music lovers and especially for younger generation, learning music. If any where you get a chance to listen to her please dont miss the concert. You will become a fan of her music.

Shridhar-Bangalore

shriroop

Post by shriroop »

Jayashri wrote:Can someone shed some light on this great artist from Mysore? I heard an audio recording of hers and it was really good. She has such a great padantharam and voice.
Jayashri,

Dr. Sukanya Prabhakar is a versatile singer hailing from Mysore. She has done her doctorate on compositions of Maharaja of Mysore Sri. Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar. The speciality of her music is the variety. Each concert will have something special at least a new kriti which will not be much familiar. Her speciality is rendering of songs written by less known composers like Helavana Katte Giriamma and Harapanahalli Bheemavva.

She is most sincere to the concerts and the way she performs with dedication always with a smile, Good manodharma and Great Bhava elevates the concerts to the great hight. A series of programs she has given after a dedicated hard work and good amount of research at Ananya Bangalore on a series known as the work of lesser known composers covering the biography, their work on Carnatic music and rendering of their compositions highlighting the speciality of their compositions is real treat to music lovers and especially for younger generation, learning music. If any where you get a chance to listen to her please dont miss the concert. You will become a fan of her music.

Shridhar-Bangalore

shriroop

Post by shriroop »

nnramya wrote:If anyone in Bangalore/Mysore is really interested in her CDs/cassettes, please get in touch with me. For others, in Chennai / US, just give me some more time to organise things. Thanks!
Hello Ramya,

I have some 6 to 7 casettes of Dr. Sukanya Prabhakar.

What about CDS are they available?

I am interested in CDs.

Shridhar

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

shriroop

Post by shriroop »

Hello,
This is especially for Bangalore rasikas. Ananya has started a series on Mahila Haridasas. Dr. Sukanya Prabhakar who has done a lot of research on Mahila Haridasa is giving the rasikas the details of the Haridasas and a concert on their compositions. Last mont it was compositions of GALIGALI AVVA ) I think Galigali is a place in Karnataka) and this month it was Helavanakatte Giriyamma. The programme was of high standards and next month it will be compositions of Yadugiriyamma. The venue will be Ananya Sabhangana - Malleshwaram.

Shriroop

shriroop

Post by shriroop »

Hello,

The article on Sukanya Prabhakarfrom Hindu is excellent and very informative. Thanks to kmrasika.

Shriroop

SSK

Post by SSK »

Another informative article about Smt. Sukanya's efforts to bring here to unknown female composers. The following is an aticle of a a series of lec-dem type concerts that Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar renders on the 18th Century lady-Haridasa, Yedugiriyamma,The Karnataka musician and musicologist ((1828-1908).

Forgotten songs: Sukanya Prabhakar’s series on Mahila Haridasaru opens up a new perspective

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

It would be nice if someone in Bangalore could tape the program and share it here for forum folks. harappahanalli bhImavva is one of the few women haridAsIs. bangalore nAgaratnamma was recognized as one as well.

Some concert clips of Smt. sukanyA (must hear):

http://www.iadvaita.com/songs.php?albumid=158 - the catur-priyA pallavi is awesome.

http://www.iadvaita.com/songs.php?albumid=173

http://www.iadvaita.com/songs.php?albumid=164&p=0

svkashyap

Re: Smt. Sukanya Prabhakar

Post by svkashyap »

Sunaada Radio presents vocal recital by Dr.Sukanya Prabhakar. This concert was held at Ramaseva Mandali Fort High School grounds Bangalore in April 2010.

Vocal: Dr. Sukanya Prabhakar
Violin: Smt. Nalina Mohan
Mridanga: Sri RaviShankar
Ghata:Srishailam

Tune into http://sunaadaradio.com on Sunday, June 20 at the below timings

IST - 1030, 1930
GMT - 0500, 1400
US Central - 0900, 1800

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/vfio25 ... _Prabhakar

Default folder for all uploads . Will keep adding , with comments , as and when I get time.
cheers

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

RTP in Brindavani, probably at Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan, London, with my [ex] Guru, Balu and good friend Bala on the mridangam. Got to see this today when I was searching for something else!

Purist

Post by Purist »

The link " RTP in Brindavani " just takes it back to page 1 of this thread. What was intended?

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Purist wrote:The link " RTP in Brindavani " just takes it back to page 1 of this thread. What was intended?
Apologies, here is the correct link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJOLMTLQVSo