chathusrajathi triputa talam

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
CHELLAM

Post by CHELLAM »

can someone tell me how to do
I see this talam for anandha bhairavi geetham
kamalasulochana - but the notations are for Adi talm meaning there are 8 swaras on each line

pl help

tks

bilahari

Re: chathusrajathi triputa talam

Post by bilahari »

Chatusra jAti tripuTa is more commonly called Adi - they are one and the same.

CHELLAM

Post by CHELLAM »

sir
thanks for your quick response. But can you elaborate as to why its called c.j.triputa instead of adi
is there any significance?
tks in advance

msakella

Post by msakella »

While the head of the family of Shoolaadi-talas has seven sons i.e., talas, in turn, again each of these sons has five kids. Thus, the Triputa-tala, one of the seven sons, has five kids, the youngest of Trisra-jatt, elder of Chaturashra-jati, still elder of Khanda-jati, still elder of Mishra-jati and the eldest of Sankeerna-jati. Later, these five kids have again been named after Shankha, Adi, Dushkara, Leela and Bhoga. If you want some more details like their specific and authentic-serial numbers etc., you can refer page 114 of my book, ‘Indian genius in Talaprastara’ available from the Karnatik Music Book Centre, Chennai. amsharma

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Triputa means three parts comprised of laghu (beat + count), drutam (beat + wave), drutam (beat + wave)

Chatusra jathi means the laghu has 4 counts, i.e. beat + 3 counts. (Correspondingly tisra means 3, khanda means 5, misra means 7 and sankeerna means 9)

Hence Chatusra jathi triputa talam means:

beat, count, count, count, beat, wave, beat, wave

This is the same as Adi.

classicallover

Post by classicallover »

As both AMS & Suresh have said it differently, to summarise, Adi is just a special name given to the Chatusrajaati Triputa taalam. From long times immemorial , it was found that a four beat sound or eight beat sound was natural to all creation and most convenient.