Skype classes

To teach and learn Indian classical music
srinidhi

Skype classes

Post by srinidhi »

Anybody undergoing classes thru skpe-

1) Are such classes effective? How do they work?
2) What are the necessary requirements- computer, broadband connection
3) Problems, if any (technical , etc)

Also, please suggect anyone taking veena classes thru skpe.

daren2gould

Post by daren2gould »

I have taken skype lessons. If you are a beginner then i would advise you to take personal classes and not skype lessons. steel drums

kelly1ferrell

Post by kelly1ferrell »

I too am looking for skype lessons. I play the trumpet.
brass trumpet

sudhar

Re: Skype classes

Post by sudhar »

srinidhi wrote:Anybody undergoing classes thru skpe-

1) Are such classes effective? How do they work?
Really effective if you work with a webcamera both ends and if both have a very good broadband connection.

2) What are the necessary requirements- computer, broadband connection
You may also need a skype phone sometimes

3) Problems, if any (technical , etc)
No problems unless and until you have good notations system, proper lesson mp3s to follow, if you are allowed to record your lesson.

Also, please suggect anyone taking veena classes thru skpe.
If you want to learn instruments online, You cant do it if you are a beginner. Maybe you can learn when you are in Geetham or Krithi levels ( when you understand the thalam and notations perfectly)

I ve been learning for a long time through skype and I really enjoy classes.

Good luck!

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

Sudhar,
Many thanks for your clarifications
sudhar wrote: ve been learning for a long time through skype and I really enjoy classes.
Could you give me the contact id please? My email is sumysri@yahoo.co.in

Thanks in advance

SimhaNandana

Post by SimhaNandana »

Good information.

Meeraj

Post by Meeraj »

Hi Srinidhi,
If you can find a teacher who has a lot of patience and is technologically savvy, you can definitely learn online.
It is always good to have a little knowledge of the basics, esp the thalam.

I am learning the veena online after having learnt directly for a while, and I prefer learning directly in front of a teacher. Again, I think it also depends on how good the teacher is.

There are always technical difficulties in learning over the internet, there is almost always a lag, if not in sound, it may be in the video. Each teacher has their own way of teaching. Most of them send recordings and notes online, so try to find a teacher who does.

In conclusion, the Internet is a great place to learn, if you find a good Guru you are comfortable with, which is not at all difficult nowadays. Take a few trial classes, you will know better.

Good Luck,
Meera

sruthilaya

Post by sruthilaya »

Learning Carnatic vocal through skype is effective for advanced students who have learnt many varnams and a very good number of keerthanams. A strong base in fundementals and a good thala jnanam at different eduppu is absolutely necessary to grasp and reproduce the lessons properly and effectively. Since nowadays this has become a money- making business, you should be careful in choosing a dedicated and patient teacher who can mold and advice the student well according to his or her capabilities. Similarly the students should also have the dedication and interest. Otherwise, it is just a waste of time and money. Just because a teacher has a few number of good talents doesn’t mean that they can produce all their students equally good singers if the student doesn’t have a good taste in music. Learning from Gurumukham perfectly and properly for about 8-10 years is the best method and specially for young students if there is no one in the family who have good carnatic music knowledge to assist the child for proper learning.

msakella

Post by msakella »

sruthilaya wrote: Just because a teacher has a few number of good talents doesn’t mean that they can produce all their students equally good singers if the student doesn’t have a good taste in music. Learning from Gurumukham perfectly and properly for about 8-10 years is the best method and specially for young students if there is no one in the family who have good carnatic music knowledge to assist the child for proper learning.
What you wrote is true. Mainly, there are two divisions in teaching music and they are 1. Technicalities of music and 2. Bhaava of music. Among them while the technicalities could be taught and learnt the Bhaava could not be taught and learnt but felt by the aspirant himself. Basing upon the items and compositions learnt the Bhaava must be obtained by the aspirant himself through heavy and regular practice and perseverance. For this purpose, mostly the responsibility lies upon the teacher to teach which item or which composition, why and how to make the aspirant independent in all respects. But, in general, nowadays, all the music-teachers are used to teach a number of items like Saralis, Jantas, Datus and Alankarams and compositions like Gitas, Svarajatis, Varnas, Kritis, Keertanas, Padas, Javalis, Tillanas etc., etc., but without any aim. By all this, ultimately, the aspirant is learning a number of items or compositions in 8-10 years but unable to exhibit them whenever needed.

At the outset, it is very important to note that all the technicalities must be imparted properly irrespective of any item or composition to the aspirant to enable him get the ability to proceed further on his own and with the minimum help of the teacher. At the same time one must think whether much time like 8-10 years is needed to learn all the technicalities. No, not at all. In qualitative-teaching a maximum duration of 3 years is far more than enough to give out all the needed technicalities even to an average aspirant. But, knowingly or unknowingly, only to earn more money, the process of teaching is elongated excessively successfully escaping from the responsibility of teaching Svarakalpana and Ragalapana to the aspirant leave alone other branches of Manodharma-sangita.

In fact, this is a matter of very high preference to discuss extensively in the interest of our own kids in keeping our culture in tact. But, most unfortunately, none of the music-teachers or lecturers or professors or the professional-artists or even the Sabhas are ready to discuss this matter lest their beans are spilled out in the process of such discussion. amsharma

sruthilaya

Post by sruthilaya »

An inborn talent or an average aspirant with true dedication yearning to learn Carnatic music of course can learn the technicalities as mskella said, with in a short period time if guided properly. It also certainly depends upon the number of class hours taken by a student in a week and the number of dedicated hours of practice by the student on a daily basis to progress quickly. In this context, we need to think as to how many are truly dedicated and what is their aim? --- Stage or systematic learning through proper practice?

But the question here is , How is skype lesson helpful and for what kind of persons it is effective?
It is certainly effective for people who have understood the technical aspects of Carnatic music irrespective of age provided you have the essential tools. But it is definitely not effective to someone who is not familiar with the finer aspects of Carnatic music (even if you claim to have learnt for many years) Because often you find technical problems through online lessons. Face to face learning is the best method for such people if you have a good guru.

How easily can a student advance through skype? It depends on the talent, interest and number of class hours taken by a student in a month and also with the necessary requirements needed for the system. For people who do not have much dedication or talent, it will definitely take more years to advance even through able guidance and gurumukham. In the matter of music or dance, a person’s ability to reproduce a melodious voice or a beautiful posture all truly depends on the constitution of the person or physical capabilities of the body. Talent and interest are 2 different things. Just because a person has deep interest doesn’t mean than he can become a captivating musician. Talent is absolutely necessary. Similarly just because a person has talent doesn’t mean that he can be a captivating musician if there is no dedication and interest.

If an adult or young student is motivated himself, with able guidance, he or she can achieve something or bigger depending upon his or her capabilities. Majority of the child students these days are learning Carnatic music under parental pressure. For such students, an able guidance is necessary not only from the teacher but also from the parent to achieve their potential unless and until that student is self motivated. This is specially applicable for skype lessons since there will be a face to face contact only once in a while. The rapport between the teacher and student also plays an important role.

Fortunate are the teachers who have dedicated and talented students and blessed are those students who have dedicated and talented teachers with good discipline. An acclaimed professional need not be a good teacher. Teaching is an art where a teacher has to come down to the level of the student. A sincere teacher has to point out the flaws and if the student is ready to accept it and work and for it, they will definitely achieve their goal in becoming a good musician. In this competitive world today, many people are craving for attention or exposure and due to that, learning classical music and dance has become a short- term course.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear b/s-member, sruthilaya, Each and every word of your post is very true and invaluable. I sincerely appreciate your approach and analysis. If the aspirants and their parents sincerely follow your post everybody will certainly be benefited. I heartily thank you for your enlightening post. amsharma