Madhurai Krishna Iyengar the Mridangam Vidwan

Carnatic Musicians
SSK

Post by SSK »

I was told that Madurai Krishna Iyengar was a great mridangam vidwan who used to accompany many senior and legendary vidwans of 20th century. He was regularly featured back in 1950's through late 60's and beyond at music festivals organized in Bidaram Krishnappa Shri Rama Mandira Mysore by Sangeetha Rathna T. Chowdiah and later by Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam. He has accompanied Prof. Ramarathnam along violin maestros such Govindaswamy Naicker in the 60's.

I was wondering if rasikas have any more biographical information on Vidwan Krishna Iyengar. I also need to go through writings I have from Prof. Mysore V, Ramarathnama and see if I can find any thing. Looking forward to learning more about the vidwan, his lineage, his gurus and his style.

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

I have a LP recording where he plays for Salem Jayalakshmi in a Thrupuhazh recording
He was notable very great my gurur M N kandaswami talked about him
rajanpadiachi
south africa

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

I have a LP recording where he plays for Salem Jayalakshmi in a Thrupuhazh recording
He was notable very great my gurur M N kandaswami talked about him
rajanpadiachi
south africa

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

I have a LP recording where he plays for Salem Jayalakshmi in a Thrupugazh recording
He was notable very great my guru M N kandaswami talked about him
rajan padiachi
south africa
Last edited by rajanp on 25 Jan 2010, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

mamani

Re: Madhurai Krishna Iyengar the Mridangam Vidwan

Post by mamani »

VIDWANMADURAI.KRISHNA IYENGAR HAD TRAINING UNDER SRI.KARAIKUDI.MUTHU IYER FORFEW YEARSHE WAS UNDER ONE MORE VIDWAN (UNFORTUNATELY IAM NOT AWAREOF HIS NAME

cacm

Re: Madhurai Krishna Iyengar the Mridangam Vidwan

Post by cacm »

He has played for most of the major vidwans. His playing was particularly noted for "SOWKYAM" & Sotness of handling the instrument with finesse, mildness & precision. A good example can be found in the CHARSUR CD featuring MMI; Even in a Kalyana Kutcheri the MMI-Govindaswamy Naicker-Madurai Krishna Iyengar trio acheived TOTAL SILENCE & GARNERED the attention of the audience which prompted MMI to say at the end that the concert was like a Sabha Concert with rapt attention & pin drop silence! Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer openly admired & praised his handling of Mridhangam spontaneously......
Forces me to react with horror to many leading Mridanga Vidwans of TODAY whose decibel levels exceed many Rock Bands in USA...VKV