Modernisation of Bhajans/ Devotional Songs

History, religion and culture
Agraja

Post by Agraja »

There is a recent ongoing trend of remixing bhajans and using the lyrics of classical bhajans on modern beats. Although personally I am not against such "modernisation" I do feel that somewhere, the essence of the bhajan is lost...to me, bhajan is a form of bhakti yoga. Yoga means "chitta-vritti" nirodha i.e, being in a state where there is no thought or feeling in one's mind. The somewhat rebellious and dark notes & beats in such remixes, don't really serve the purpose.

There are exceptions of course! One such song that I particularly liked is from the hindi movie Raaz, entitled Bandaa Re. It is a "modern" version of an entire Kabirdasu composition. The link is below. I would recommend all rasikas to listen to it atleast once and comment. I personally find it really moving, fitting the chaos of the world we live in now.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/998b17

Also, I would like to know other rasikas views on such modernisation of bhajans.

Agraja

Post by Agraja »

56 views and not a single reply... let's share our views people!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

I have watched a few TV competition where Fusion of certain bhajans and kirtans are associated with high beats of modern music and it has good rating too. If that is the modern trend, we better accept it with grudge and there is nothing we can do about it.

niyer

Post by niyer »

As long as the musical message of the bhajan gets across to the soul , any such modernisation is welcome. In fact in such cases , the modern beats could drive home the same message to a group with a different musical appeal. The song posted was nice and moving

srinivasasarma

Post by srinivasasarma »

I could not listen to what you have uploaded. However I feel if one had listened to the traditional old (marudaanallur paaNi) bhjans, he/she cant stand
such fusions. 0nce Semmangudi mama stated " ... because many artists sing ashtapathis and other bhajans in their own way- changing the ragas
and talas, they are slowly forgotten.. If we stay at Sampradaaya, it will live for ever. Example the Trinity's ..."
From 1950-1955, I heard Bhajans by Mannargudi group, led by shri Raju sAstrigal. So great. Pure ragas, socked with bhakthi.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Quoting munirao2001:
One can definitely accept new, without any need for the rejection of the old. One can continue to enjoy the existing, while accepting and enjoying the new. The need for the discard of the old comes only with total dissatisfaction of the old and compelling need for the new. If the new delivers, total satisfaction with compulsion for the discard of the old and for the acceptance of the new, the old is discarded.
munirao2001

Ganesan

Post by Ganesan »

I have heard many bhajans and Ashtapadis sung by HH Swami Haridhos Giri, some of them totally different from the traditional ragas. They were very very nice. I agree with Munirao that if the rendition is satisfying, even if there is a change in tradition, one need not bother much. Of course the spirit of devotional fervour must not be lost in the process.

srinivasasarma

Post by srinivasasarma »

This is precisely I meant. In some places, I happened to hear in cinema music tune - more rythems than bhakthi and suddham in raaga.
Mr Raman's upload - I could not get access to sendspace and hear the songs. This I should have said properly before; sorry.
Sri Haridas Giri's was/is really remarkable and to a great extent also shri UdayALur KalyaNarAman. Afterall, who am I to talk abt them !
rgds/sarma