Spiritual Music Evenings

To teach and learn Indian classical music
NiveditaShivraj

Post by NiveditaShivraj »

Spiritual music relaxes the mind, helps to focus on spiritual thoughts and leads the mind towards meditation. The multi-stringed South Indian musical instrument "Veena"
is considered celestial and its divine music is spiritual and meditative. The "nadha" (musical sound) of veena is unique, enigmatic and leaves the listener in a trance.

"Spiritual Music Evenings"

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

What percentage are you forwarding to rasikas.org for the advertising?

appu

Post by appu »

Nick, I think that was uncalled for. If people can advertise mridangam sales and CD releases, any reason why someone should nor advertise an event. If a portion of the sales have to be forwarded to rasikas.org then a formal contract should be on file with the mods.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Appu,
You have a point.
I think Nick reacted to the elaborate post in place of: I am so and so and I am performing on...at...and here is the contact number, E-Mail. All other details could have been spared. It is also true that you cannot afford so many words in an ad. The cost could be prohibitive.

Yes, it is all right to share information about your performance, but it should be kept brief. The title should make it clear that it is about a performance. Spiritual Musical Evenings does not convey this...

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

arasi wrote: Yes, it is all right to share information about your performance, but it should be kept brief. The title should make it clear that it is about a performance. Spiritual Musical Evenings does not convey this...
arasi hit the nail on the head

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Nick's general point is valid, we do not want explicit advertisements. There is a grey area and we usually know when someone crosses that zone. ( it is hard to define that announcement/advertisement with rules ).

In this case, I think it is OK. Except for the mention of the admissions fees, everything else is general info for the benefit of the members who live in that area. And the mention of the fee is no different from concert announcements where the admission fee is menitoned.

appu

Post by appu »

Arasi, VK

I agree with what you all say. My objection with Nick was the tone of his statement and hence my comment.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

There is a difference between an announcement and an advertisment. I'm sure that we want to know when our fellow members are performing, and to be given the chance of supporting them; I certainly do.

This is a blatant piece of self-advertising. It reads like it came from the pen of a PR man, not a musician --- hence the tone of my reply.

If the sharpness of my post offends appu, then I apologise to appu --- but my opinion, and post, remain unchanged.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I suppose, the unwritten etiquette as in everything else, is not to mention money! If someone interested in attending the concert ASKS about the price of tickets or the fee for a workshop, then it is fine. However, when an E-mail is given, and the program is announced on the forum, surely, those who are interested will ask.
In addition to the title, the intro was also unnecessary, I think.
In earlier days when we arranged concerts in the US, the number of long distance phone calls we had to make to gather an audience from the tri-state area was time-consuming and also meant a fat phone bill along with other expenses. It is very easy now to get the message across the globe by a mere post! By all means, we can use this wonderful facility, but not abuse it. There are always announcements on the forum and they help us find events of interest which we might like to attend.

Hope many rasikAs attend the event, Nivedita S. All the best!
Last edited by arasi on 15 Jun 2009, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

This is a blatant piece of self-advertising. It reads like it came from the pen of a PR man, not a musician --- hence the tone of my reply.
I agree with that general assessment. I do not know where to draw the line for 'blatant but it is self advertisement/announceemnt. But here is the problem. There have been past cases where someone else had posted on the artist's behalf. I would rather encourage the artists to register as themselves and post about their stuff. So it all boils down to whether it is an announcement or advertisement, I do not want to cloud the value judgement on the 'self' part.

I am looking at this from an enforcement point of view. We have had various posts which mention commercial CDs/DVDs, Musical workshops and concerts. In some cases fees have been mentioned ( typically with musical workshops ). There are also cases where there is a big intro about how a certain book/workbook/DVD etc is designed to solve specific problems/issues in areas related to music.

Mentioning the fees does not bother me personally. I would rather have that out in the open. We see frequently "All are welcome", "Donations are welcome" etc., specific mention of a fee is just a logical continuum of that.

( Here is a thread where I had to make a snap judgement call: http://rasikas.org/forums/post109882.html#p109882 and I went in the direction of more information than less information. A tough one to make on which side of the grey area it fell ).

This is all loud thinking on my part and I do not want to give the impression that I am encouraging advertisement type announcements. We do not want to open that flood gate, just wondering how to structure a general way of looking at it.

arasi

Post by arasi »

VK,
I wouldn't like to be a moderator! I don't know if Nick feels the same way. He has been one on a different forum, if I remember right.
Anyway, it is a thankless job and a time-consuming one. I must say you tend to take many points of views into consideration in doing your job, even after thinking over things on your own. A level-headed person, particularly when it comes to dealing with incidents of rasikAs unrest! And I wish I had a mind as bright as yours...

No. This is NOT an advertisement. Just a fellow rasikA's point of view :)
Last edited by arasi on 15 Jun 2009, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

NiveditaShivraj should come forward and give her views too.
Last edited by VK RAMAN on 15 Jun 2009, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

appu

Post by appu »

VK RAMAN wrote:NiveditaShivraj should come forward and give her views too.

What for, This was her first post. All she tried to do was be honest and put out a post about her music and herself.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I don't see why it is necessary for her to respond. After all, we were pondering over the differences between announcements and advertisements.

VKR,
Of course, It will be nice if NS takes part in some of the discussions on the forum and brings her experiences to us too.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

To view the calendar (view only), see http://rasikas.org/calendar.htm

We can now do away with the need for allowing advertisements on the forum.

To post events to the calendar, and to provide feedback, see http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... vents.html

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

appu wrote:
VK RAMAN wrote:NiveditaShivraj should come forward and give her views too.

What for, This was her first post. All she tried to do was be honest and put out a post about her music and herself.
Well, for all my sharpness at times, I am still a welcoming sort of character, and I hope she will come back to the forum.

I understand that people often mistake the tone of a site or forum (yes, the internet code is to look around first before posting, but people still make mistakes) and to put one's foot in it at the start.

Hopefuly she won't take all this to heart, and will join in the conversations.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Listen to Sanjay's interview on Irish radio - he has some view on spirituality and religion in Carnatic music
http://www.rte.ie/arts/2009/0526/theartsshow.html

arasi

Post by arasi »

Srkris,
No need to discuss ads and announcements anymore! Thanks for reviving the calendar. It is going to be helpful for those who want to announce events and for those who need to look up programs.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Great. SRKrisJi. Let us see whether we can use this.