Please explain the concept of vakra ragas

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
sudeepom

Post by sudeepom »

Hey guys plzzzzz hepl me out ...........................................

I am entirely confused about the concept of Vakra ragas

For instance, Take Khamas- S M G M P D N S
S N D P M G R S [ Janya of Harikambhoji]

Nagabhooshini- S R S M G M P N D N S
S N D P M G R S [ Janya of sankarabharanam]

I dont know how the notes are sung in the arohana of both these ragas...............I would be grateful if anyone could help me out with this stuff.

Pleasetell me the rules that one needs to keep in mind as far as vakra ragas are concerned

It would be more better if you could give a few combinations .......

mohan

Post by mohan »

Vakra ragas have notes coming out of sequence (ie an irregular sequence) in either arohana or avarohana. Some other examples include Kadanakuthuhalam (SRMDNGPS-SNDPMGRS), kAnada (SRPGMDNS-SNPMGMRS), sahAna (SRGMPMDNS-SNDPMGMRGRS). Ragas can be considered vakra if the irregular sequence occurs in either the arohanam or the avarohanam or in both.

arunk

Post by arunk »

vakra ragas are a complex lot because the vakram in the structure does not mean 100% vakra prayoga all the time for all the vakra ragas . For some it is so, for others it is "mostly vakram, or vakra prayoga is the more characteristic stamp".

Anyway, take SrirAga's avarohana particularly between pa and sa. It is p m r g r s. This simply means m g r is not allowed i.e. when descending from ma to ri, you cannot simply use m g r (which btw is manirangu's usage). You have to do m r g r. This in essence is vakra rule but there are also aesthetic and more subtle uses on top. In Sri, I believe, you can occasionally (rarely) do m r s here (IIRC varnam has it), but obviously that is dangerous territory as doing it more than rarely would be treading into madhyamavathi territory. Note also you can do n g r s etc. The rule of "g r" not allowed is only in the context of "m g r" i.e. one cannot descend from ga, when ga itself is approached from above like in ma ga ri.

In khamas s m g m means s r g m is disallowed. But here arohana is incomplete. Per the varnam s r g r is allowed. I also think m g m is allowed. So it could be that it is r g m that is disallowed. But, the vakra in this case is that s most of the time one does s m g m in khamas and that is its characteristic usage.

In gauLa, the arohana/avarohana is s r m p n s/s n p m r g m r s. Again, like Sri, m r s is allowed (here it is not uncommon at all) but m r g m r s is characteristic gaula. Even s r g m is allowed as long as you descend after that (to ri).

Arun