Some server-side issues

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Access to the forum may be slow or non-available for peiods extending to a few hours. This is to inform that no panic is necessary and the forum will become normal soon.

The problem is apparently due to server overload, not because of our website, but because of other websites which may be hosted on the same server as ours.

Thanks for your patience.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

the entire sunday was blank. I became very restless and it was an opportunity for me to visualise how addicted I have become to the forum.Let the forum continue to be the epicenter!
I place on record my deep appreciation for the people who have made and have been making this possible.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Sorry chalanata for the problem. I was not aware of it in the first place. By the time I checked, everything had become normal once again. All's well that ends well :)

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

I too experienced the same problem on Sunday.

By the way, who is bearing the cost of this site?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

No one is bearing the cost right now. It is a free site, enjoy :)

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

srkris,

I saw on freepgs.com that they are moving to a paid model starting from Jan 2007 or so??

-Ramakriya

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

We'll switch before that... no problems.

Yesterday the database server was unavailable for some time, and that prevented access to the forum, although the wiki was working fine.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi everyone,

The forum may not be available for a few hours today and/or tomorrow since I have switched hosting providers. When it becomes functional, initially you may not be able to login. Please do not register again. Everything will return to normalcy within 24 hours.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

srkris wrote:Hi everyone,

The forum may not be available for a few hours today and/or tomorrow since I have switched hosting providers. When it becomes functional, initially you may not be able to login. Please do not register again. Everything will return to normalcy within 24 hours.
Hi Ramki - perhaps you should post this under a non-Q&A topic also (general?), for the benefit of anyone who doesn't login here.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

But only those who log-in can see a new post. Others will see all posts the same and not know what has been announced recently. Anyways I'm moving this thread to General Section for now so everyone can see.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Ramki - One can read new postings by going to the Intro section. I do this often without having to log in everytime to check for any posts of interest. (I'm sure there are several others out there who do the same, I guess.) By putting such announcements inside the Q&A area they could get missed. Hence my suggestion.

Thank you for moving it. By the way, why do these 'Other forums' threads appear only when you login? Can a setting be changed to make it behave differently?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Which "other forums" threads are you talking about?

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

sorry, i should have said 'Q&A' only. Rest of the 'Other forums' threads do appear even when you are not logged in. (This is the section right at the bottom when you click on Index)