BOOK REVIEW

Books on Carnatic Music and those for / by / on musicians.
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Book Review

I recently received a copy of the book titled:

avaLkaLuM avankaLuM athuvuM....
by 'arasi' published by:

Kaavya
16, Second Cross Street, Trustpuram
Kodambakkam, Chennai 600 024

price: Rs 60/-

The book is a collection of poems (kavithai) in Tamil all in blank verse in a
free-flowing format. This is a slim collection (only 92 pages) but displaying a
profound insight into human behaviour both from a general and the author's
particular personal perspective. What stands out in the personal perspective is
the theme of 'Feminism' - the positive aspect of it - more of the kind Bharathy wanted among women about a century ago. Coming from this mature writer the spirit of Feminism attains a modernity which is relevant in the 21st century.

There is no particular theme that ties together the different poems. At times one
can sense a link between two consecutive ones, but that is ephemeral. They may be
miles apart in moods and themes spanning different times and climes. Each poem is a window into the life of the poet but one need not know which; but can read into it a personal message appropriate from one's own life experiences. Curiously this is not an autobiography though there is just one referencee to Dr. Soundaram (of Gandhigram fame) who was a relative and personal mentor. There is also a passing reference to MS, not connected with any theme.

The language is deceptively simple but the flights of fancy are highly complex
which make it difficult reading. You can dwell on the thoughts embedded in a single poem for days...

Let me give just for taste one random example (page37): (it is in Tamil but will lose its essence in translation)

manamE En maRanthaay?

manamE En maRanthaay?
maRanthaal maRupaDi thuLirppEn enRuthaan
thuLirthaal meeNDuM veTTap paDuvaayE?
veTTappaTTuM paTTup pOgaathatheththanai!
pizhaitthuM pizhai maRakka vENDumE?
pizhaitthaal thuLirppEn, malarvEn, pazhamumAvEn
pin pizhai poRuppAyO, illai veRuppAyO?
veRuM kELvi ithu-- bathil ennaip poRutthathallavaa?

One can read a host of autobiography in these words. One can fit it to one's own
story of a ride in an emotional roller-coaster of 'guilt', 'selfpity',
'resurgence' and 'intransigence' (?). Is this not a music of the 'soul' with
'inner soul' (Atma with paramAtma?). The analogy of 'thoughts' to a tree that
regenerates and dies is just telling! Aren't we all Gardeners in our mental plane
cultivating/killing/ferilizing.. and then sprouting thoughts (some of which are
weeds which we do not know to eradicate!)

You should read the collection to get enlightened in your inner sphere. I whole heartedly recommend the title to one and all of you. Here is an 'arasi' a whole lot different from the vaggeyakara that you all know! Take it from me, one who has spent a lifetime studying human behaviour!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I did hesitate posting this review at this Forum lest 'die-hard' CM Fanatics will question the relevance to CM.

First 'arasi' is a noted vaggeyakara of to-day who hails from an illustrious musical family whose CM compositions are getting recognized and getting popular on the concert platforms.

Second as a respected member of this Forum arasi is well-known to our membership who are certain to have some interest in her other literary works.

Third, in spite of being in the format of blank verse (unlike the traditional 'kirtanam' format) some of the poems can be sung as viruttams with some manodharma modifications. But primarily the emphasis in the poems are on the depth of ideas and allegorical references.

Lastly if this offends the sentiments of rajumds/ragam-talam/Arun/... I will be happy to withdraw this thread forthwith with my profound apologies sparing the trouble of pressing the 'Alert Moderator' button!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cml
I dont think any one would be questioning this thread.

Arasi
Very nice lines ,the thamizh is not dead easy(like a short modern kavi) or dead difficult (like tirumaNdiram), it is just madhyama kAlam touch ;) . I particularly liked the idea of CML asking musicians to take up this as viruththam.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Rajesh for the support and encouragement.

erode14

Post by erode14 »

nice lines of arasi and nice review of cml...

i enjoyed the pathi-sathi virathargaL, pAvaikkUththu and kaLi natam too

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is a little beauty:

ninai...

athai
ninai!
athil nanai
pin
nikazhtthu!

nimmathi kaaN...

pinnum
athai
ninai!

Think IT
Drown in IT
Then do it

Attain Peace

Again think IT

The IT of course refers to Brahmam (saguNam or nirguNam and as in sanskrit it is neutre!). Once you dissolve/immerse into IT and act then there is peace in your life. Even if the cycle repeats (samsara).

What a simple recipe for all the ills in our lives!

Note that it is the 'ninai' (thought of IT) that brings peace to our actions. If the IT is not contemplated (denoted by 'vi'=without) then all acts end in 'vinai' (calamity). .... (my interpretation/interpolation).

Again note the subtle reference to 'Him' as IT (neither He or She but he neutral IT))
(The feminist speaking :)

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

pAgAi urugu nenchE, pankaja lochanai ninainthu - This pallavi only song comes to mind when I read CMLovers post no.6.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

cmlover wrote:Lastly if this offends the sentiments of rajumds/ragam-talam/Arun/... I will be happy to withdraw this thread forthwith with my profound apologies sparing the trouble of pressing the 'Alert Moderator' button!
CML, that's fine. Just make sure those admins with delete powers don't erase your posts/thread!