Oothukkadu Venkata Kavi (OVK)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
ifcm_rfi

Post by ifcm_rfi »

Here is another excellent composition. It is fairly well known but the word flow is remarkable. The pallavi and anupallavi are in tisra gati. The charanam is mostly in chaturashram but goes to tisram in the last line.

- Bhargavi

svAgatam krSNA. rAgA: mOhana. Adi tALA.

P: svAgatam krSNA sharaNagatam krSNA
mathurApuri sadanA mrdu kathanA madhusUdanA iha

A: bhOgadApta sulabhA supuSpa gandha kaLabA kas-
tUri tilaka mahipA mamakAnta nandagOpa kanda

C: muSTikAshUra cANUra malla malla vishArada kuvalayApITha
mardana kALinga nartana gOkula rakSaNa sakala sulakSaNa dEva
shiSta jana pAla sankalpa kalpa kalpa shatakOTi asama parAbhava
dhIra munijana vihAra madana sukumAra daitya samhAradEva
madhura madhura rati sAhasa sAhasa vrajayuvatI jana mAnasa pUjita

Jati: sa dha pA ga ri pa ga ri sa dha sA dhit takajhaNu tAm takajhaNu tAm tattit takajhaNu tAm (tisragati)
takatari kuku taNa kiTataka dhIm takatari kuku taNa kiTataka dhIm takatari timu taNa kiTataka

Meaning:

P: Oh Lord Krishna ! I do invite You unto this mundane world, once again, surrendering myself unto You totally. You are soft and tender faced, sweet-speaking, resident of Mathura, have vanquished demons like ‘Madhu,’.

A.P: You bestow pleasures and comforts (bhoga da), are accessible to your friends, smell of sweet flowers have kasturi musk on your forehead. Oh Son of Nandagopa, my master! I welcome You.

C: You established your supremacy in boxing and wrestling, destroying experts like Mushtika, Chaanoora and also the elephant Kuvalayapeetha. You subdued Kalinga, by dancing on his head. Protector of cowherds, you are endowed with all noble qualities. You offer refuge to your devotees, are bold, revel in the company of saints, creator of kalpas (a 4-era cycle of over 400 million years) and you have been unequaled through Time. Oh, handsome Lord, you gave much pleasure to the damsels in Brindavan, who worship you. I welcome You.

vasya10

Post by vasya10 »

One another treasure of OVK's is in the Saptaratna-s commercial CD by Ravikiran's Group (Vintage Virtuoso).

Pretty much set in the type of Tyagaraja's pancharatna, some of the kritis are truly wonderful. In one kriti (bhajanAmruta/nAta) he mentions lot of the bhaktas. In another (Alavadennalo/pharas) he mentions all the 63 nayanmars set in a beautiful melody. I would probably classify the Alavadennalo as "100 must things to listen before dying" :-)

In another kriti (not part of saptaratna) padmAvati ramanan (purvikalyANi) he praises jayadEva and his works.

He may have become a reclusive bhakta in later years, but he must have acquired a lot of knowledge by travelling around (just my conjecture).

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Are there any renderings of Oothukadu kritis by MSS available on the Internet? If any of you know of such sites where it is available, please post information. Thanks

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

I do not remember to have ever heard smt MSS sing any OOthukadu krithi. It sounds preposterous but I wish I am proved wrong.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

I am surprised to find that there is no posting in this subject althoughthere are very knowledgeable people in our membershipMay be it confirms my apprehension - though unbelievable- that Smt MSS has not sung any composition of OOthukadu.Why so is a big question. rajagopalan

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Until fairly recently, OVK's compositons were considered 'fit' only for dances. Part of the problem maybe that the compositions were 'sold' to a naTTuvanAr for his use, and he used them for choreographing. So, it is possible that Smt. MSS did not sing them because they were not part of a concert artist's repertoire. HOWEVER, since Smt. MSS routinely sang when Radha (Sri Sadasivam's daughter) and Anandi (Sri Kalki's daughter) danced, it is possible that she may have rendered them. I have heard that halls used to be full when the duo performed, in part because Smt. MSS was the singer. If anyone has recordings of the dance performances of this duo it may be possible to check if she has rendered OVK's compositions.

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

rshankar wrote:Until fairly recently, OVK's compositons were considered 'fit' only for dances. Part of the problem maybe that the compositions were 'sold' to a naTTuvanAr for his use, and he used them for choreographing. So, it is possible that Smt. MSS did not sing them because they were not part of a concert artist's repertoire. HOWEVER, since Smt. MSS routinely sang when Radha (Sri Sadasivam's daughter) and Anandi (Sri Kalki's daughter) danced, it is possible that she may have rendered them. I have heard that halls used to be full when the duo performed, in part because Smt. MSS was the singer. If anyone has recordings of the dance performances of this duo it may be possible to check if she has rendered OVK's compositions.
Gowri Ramnarayan daughter of Anandhi can possibly clarify or Radha visvanathan can clarify

gowri narayanan

Post by gowri narayanan »

here is a kriti of OVK in sahana adi
p:SaraNam yaami Sri santaana raama swaami twaamaham

a.p.:sarasija nayana kodanDapaaNi
dhara vitaraNa guNa janakajaaramaNa
sowbhagya varada nipuNa

ch:bhajamaana satya madhura mrudutara vacana nata sajjana
nijadaasa kumuda nicaya hita caraNa Sruti ramaNa
aja vamSa tilaka saarvabhowma ayodhya nagara sadana
(madhyama kala sahityam)
nija karadhruta kalamba gambhira nitijaa kuca kumkuma sindura
bhuja ankita candana Srungaara sputa bhandhana lambita thuniRa

gitapriya

Post by gitapriya »

gowri: Do you have an audio rendition of this krithi that you can share with us?

gowri narayanan

Post by gowri narayanan »

i am sorry i don't have the audio.i think the nephew and niece of needamangalam bhagavatar used to sing this.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

OVK's song lyrics are available at this site as well:
http://www.geocities.com/vc_sekaran/

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

mADu mEkkum kaNNE rendered by Aruna Sairam. UtukkADu had the penchant to compose in folk tunes and this is one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAvNsc1HcWs
Last edited by kmrasika on 21 Apr 2007, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mADu meikkum kaNNe is NOT OVK's AFAIK..what is your evidence that it is his?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

We had a lengthy discussion on this on the erstwhile sangeetham BB - this is a beautiful song that has been delectably choreographed by Priyadarshini Govind!

meena

Post by meena »

Madu meikkum kanna unakku the composer is 'unknown' - acc. to Lji's Desh songlist on this forum.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

rshankar: Sorry I didn't catch your post earlier. I actually saw the text for the song in a book I wish I had bought at a bookshop in Chennai. If I remember correctly, it attributed some of these kinds of compositions to UtukkADu. Nonethelss, at least now I know the song is apocryphal as being UtukkADu's. Despite this, I'm sure you'd agree watching the video Aruna and her acoompanying musicians had some fun in performing this item.
Last edited by kmrasika on 22 Apr 2007, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

In an audio from another concert where she sang this piece, Aruna Sairam, says that this is a 'traditional' composition...not Oothukkadu's - the tamizh is certainly not up to Sri OVK's caliber...NOT that he did not compose kAvaDi cindu's!

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

humdinger wrote:OVK's Navaavarna Krithis
I happened to listen to these krithis at Sri Kamakshi Temple at kanchipuram and liked them immensely. I was told these are called kAmAkshi navAvarnams. Visit this link for lyrics:
http://sridhar107.tripod.com/

Would like to know if any recordings are available...
Nada Anuboothi
http://home.sprynet.com/~dsivakumar/music/intromus.htm

Music Categories > Carnatic - Vocal > Composers O... > Oothukadu Venkatasubba Iyer
has the following tracks,

Ayiram ayiram by MLV
Madananga Mohana by KJY
Thaye Yasoda by MMI
Thillana (in Surutti) by Vijay Siva
Thillana (in Sindhubhairavi) by TNS
Vaangum Enakku by Vijay Siva
Vanduketpar by TNS

Music Categories > Carnatic - Vocal > Song Title S...
has the track,

Sadananada (mayi chinmayi) by KVN
(Lyrics, Meaning, Translation @ http://sridhar107.tripod.com/#6N)
Last edited by thanjavur on 22 Apr 2007, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ayiram Ayiram - Lji is that OVK's?

I have it as KNDP's composition.
I think part of the problem is that any tamizh composition on kriSNa is attributed to OVK!

meena

Post by meena »

Ayiram ayiram gopiyargal-Charukesi-Adi-OVK

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

You can listen to the one and only Pithukuli Murugadas sing the following OVK compositions,

Adadhu asangadhu - Madhyamavathi - Adi
Alai payudhe - Kanada - Adi
Madhura madhura - Atana - Adi
Paal vadiyum - Nattaikurinji - Adi

at Nada Anuboothi
Music Categories > Devotional - Songs > Composers O... > Oothukadu Venkatasubba Iyer
Last edited by thanjavur on 13 May 2007, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

The Mystic Bard of Oothukkadu by Dr. Sulochana Rajendran
Besides Solkattu Swaras which exude Sahitya perception he was an ace spinner of Gati Bheda sequences. "Vitasamavara Jata" (Vasantha), Nada Murali Gana Vilona" (Hameer Kalyani) the Abhogi Saptaratna are some examples. It is learnt that the kriti in Vasanta which courses through the lilting Tisra Khanda, Chatusra Gatis, is sung at the commencement of Gokulashtami festival at the Nartana Krishna Temple in Oothukkadu.
Has anyone heard this kriti being sung ? Is it available in any commercial recording ?
Last edited by thanjavur on 18 May 2007, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Dear Lakshman :
Please post a list of OVK compositions.

Thanks

dancingmaiden

Post by dancingmaiden »

I wonder if there are any contemporary (in the past 200 years) composers who can claim - like OVK did - that they learnt music directly through a spiritual revelation.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

I remember reading one of the interviews with BMK that he was self-taught in singing as well as composing.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Arasi wrote:OVK's verbosity is endearing because he is overwhelmed with his love for Krishna and he can't but gush the way he does! ... Minimalism is becoming of poetry but OVK is one of the exceptions.
RShankar wrote:Until fairly recently, OVK's compositons were considered 'fit' only for dances.
But indeed, they are always set to madhyamakAlam and dhurita kAlam, except maybe some songs in miSracApu.

Since the trinity, especially Dikshithar, vilambakAlam and madhyamakAlam are largely preferred in the "pure music" domain.
ifcm_rfi wrote:Here is another excellent composition. It is fairly well known but the word flow is remarkable. The pallavi and anupallavi are in tisra gati. The charanam is mostly in chaturashram but goes to tisram in the last line.
And they make so much hype about Sankari Sankuru! I have read someone say that there has been no "reply" to such a rhythmic setting after Shyama Shastri. While that is true, that had Shyama Shastri known this song, Sankari Sankuru itself forms a "reply" was not mentioned.
dancingmaiden wrote:I wonder if there are any contemporary (in the past 200 years) composers who can claim - like OVK did - that they learnt music directly through a spiritual revelation.
These days one would be ridiculed and ostacrised if they made such a claim. In fact, I wonder if OVK wasn't punished for making such claims when he was alive. (That might have been a major factor in keeping his popularity down until recent years.)

ksl

Post by ksl »

paal vadiyum mugam: meaning please...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I think it has been translated. The search function is playing truant.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Ravi, same here. I tried my level best to search for the previous translation by you but could not find it.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

OothukAdu venkata subbaiyer was really as great a poet as he was a tunesmith. The words of his sanskrit songs reveal a remarkable degree of virtuosity and talent. Also he has used several ragas which were thought of as having become popular in the thyagaraja-dikshitar-shama shastri period. To illustrate, he has compositions in Umabharanam, dwijavanti, kuntalavarali etc..
The saptaratnas epitomise his excellence. The gowla krthi - Aganithamahima puts on record unusual phrases like srgmrmpn, which I am sure was part of the old treatment of Goula, but is now frowned upon.

vasanthakokilam

"dwijavanti" is an interesting case. We are given to understand that it was imported by MD. Do we know that OVK himself tuned it in dwijavanthi?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Like annamacharya, he has only left behind the sAhityam and the the family of needamangalam Krishnamurthy bhAgavatar was involved in singing/notating/teaching and popularising them.
It is a fallacy that MD imported Jaijaivanti, as Annamacharya, Margadarshi Sheshayyangar and Kshetrayya all predecessors of MD have used this raga.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... playnext=1

A beautiful set of video clips with the group dancing to OVK's tunes - while pleasing, and extremely refreshing at first, I was not able to detect deep meaning/involvement, and by the time I got to the last video clips, a sort of ennui had set in. Nevertheless, an awesome attempt.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Authentic information’s about Sri Oothukadu venkatasubbaiyar is available in Web sites and from many sangeetha upanyasams by many Vidwans [Notably Sri Needamangalam Krishnamurthy Bhagavather].

However, I have an illusion about this maha kavi as to how he would have composed the immortal krithis.

During his period Oothukadu village would have been in the midst of forest.

Sri Venkata kavi must have lived in a parnasala like home with a big tree in front of his home. A raised platform around the tree is the place where Venkata kavi will be sitting and relaxing."

cradle

Post by cradle »

Nageswaran sir, thanks for starting this post. I love Sri OothukAdu Venkata Kavi's compositions. His SaptharatnAs are some of the best compositions created. Some wonder whether Sri ThyAgarAja SwAmi was inspired by these compositions to come up with his PancharatnAs. Sri Venkata Kavi's knowledge of Sanskrit is tremendous and has used some rare phrases in his works that you won't find even in DiKshitar kritIs. I wish the artists, these days, sing some of his rarer compositions such as the NavAvarNaMs which are in some rare rAgAs and tALAs in addition to the more common ones that are sung in the tukkaDA section of the concert. Too bad we may have lost some of his compositions today. Long live the glory of this great poet!!

As an aside, does anyone know where OothukAdu is located? Thanks.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
Can you sweep this thread as there is already a OVK thread in
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... vk-p4.html

Cradle
OothukAdu is near thirukkarugAvur near tanjore . More info is there in wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oothukadu

(mod note: Done)

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

I was searching for some krithi of venkata kavi on google and reached on this page too.
Ravi, i watched the videos on the link you provided. Please do tell me which group is this?
i must admit, i dont have the patience to read all the posts so if it has been mentioned, do pardon me. :)
and i agree with you, although it is an awesome effort, something seems to be missing somewhere... nonetheless it is awesome without doubt... :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Taking the below quotes from another thread:
rshankar wrote: Are you sure of this? AFAIK, Sri OVK set all of his compositions to tune...
cmlover wrote: When I made the statement on NKB tuning the snake dance I was only quoting somebody (I have lost the reference!). Incidentally during the early days even OVK was considered a dilution with claims that NKB has fobbed off his own compositions under that name.
CML/Ravi
I made this comment with atleast the kalinga nartana thillana of OVK in gambheeranAttai. If you look at all compositions of OVK , this particular thillana stands as a odd man out when compared to other OVK thillAnA. That too when suddenly music stops and you have few prose lines and alliteration tha dhAm tha dhAm ... dus bus etc.

With this number standing out, I was thinking possibly some one else tuned it and may be it was not OVK, possibly this number was morphed a bit in the last 100 years or so to suit dance arangetram ;)

BTW has NKB ever tuned OVK compositions , I heard thru grapevine few years back but not sure of the source.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 20 Nov 2009, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

NKB brought to light OVK. He had the 'famous' book of notatiions to which Ravikiran had access. Some do claim that some of the songs in the book were by NKB himself or that he tuned some of them. All the questions have not been answered though Ravikiran has done a valiant job! NKB was no mean musician himself!

ragam-talam

Re: Oothukkadu Venkata Kavi (OVK)

Post by ragam-talam »

Nice write-up on Oothukadu here:
http://www.rramakrishnan.com/Articles/M ... hukadu.pdf
Excerpt:
Since Oothukkadu Venkata Kavi is not known to have entertained any disciples.Many of these the songs remained unknown for a number of generations. The few exceptions were the songs learnt by Nadaswara vidwan, Rudra Pasupahi, who is said to have learnt them on the sly.

Kaattu Krishnier, the elder brother of Venkata Kavi wrote down many of the songs sung by the composer. He had three daughters and they along with their descendents preserved the compositions.Kaattu Krishnier's granddaughter's husband Krishna Sastriyar had a number of disciples. Two of them were 'Kutti Kavi' (He called himself by this name which literally translates to 'small poet' because Venkata Kavi was Mahakavi - mega composer) and Ganapati Muni. A leading upanyasa (musical discourse) exponent Raju Sastrigal was captivated when he heard the songs and had them copied. Few of his disciples were proficient professional musicians but they preserved the music and probably made fresh copies of Venkata Kavi's compositions. There is little doubt that quite a few of them have also been lost, especially when one considers the number of songs unavailable in some of Venkata Kavi's operas so far.

One must give full credit to Needamangalam Krishnamurthy Bhagavatar who did his utmost to project the few hundred songs of Venkata Kavi in recent times.Needamangalam Krishnamurthy Bhagavatar's father's sister's husband Srinivasa Sastriyar was a Samasthana Vidwan of Baroda and he studied the manuscripts and the legacy was handed to the Bhagavatar. He used to present special harikathas entitled Sri Krishna Ganam wherein he used several of Venkata Kavi's compositions. He also trained dozens of disciples and presented several concerts exclusively on Venkata Kavi's compositions in prestigious venues such as The Music Academy, Madras. He also published a few books containing these compositions, which in turn have helped leading artistes to learn them and popularize them further today. His wife Rajammal is continuing the good work, making the music world infinitely richer. Several more compositions are yet to get into print and are in the Bhagavatar's notebooks or in loose sheets, some of it in the possession of Chitravina N Ravikiran.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

The 'Ragas Handled' section from the cited article mentions the following:
>>There are also compositions of his in rare ragas like Kannadamaruvam, Hamsageervani, Lalitagandharvam and Deeparam

Are any recordings of his kritis in these ragams available?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

According to Needamangalam Sri Krishnamurthy Bhagavatar, when the nAdasvara vidvAn learned a few of them on the sly, some discrepancies crept in (based on what he thought he heard) - for isntance, in the tODi kRti tAyE yaSodE, in the first caraNam, instead of
kAlinil silambu konjak-kaivaLai kulunga muttu mAlaigaL asaiyat-teru vAsalil vandAn
kAlasaivum kaiyasaivum tALAttODisaindu vara nIlavaNNak kaNNan ivan narttanam ADinAn, the part in bolded font is sung as 'vAnOrgaL ellAm magizha, mANiDar ellAm pugazha, nIla vaNNa kaNNan ivan narttanam ADinAn' (MLV's version uses this text, and so do most of the other versions).

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

ragam-talam wrote:The 'Ragas Handled' section from the cited article mentions the following:
>>There are also compositions of his in rare ragas like Kannadamaruvam, Hamsageervani, Lalitagandharvam and Deeparam

Are any recordings of his kritis in these ragams available?

Notations of the first three are available in NKB's tamil publications entitled 'KrishnaganaM'

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Oothukadu's Kaamaakshi Navaavarana kriti-s stand testimony to his greatness also as a Devi upaasaka.
Shri. S.Sankaranarayanan has authored an outstanding book on the study of these kriti-s.

ifcm_rfi

Post by ifcm_rfi »

Our Foundation has brought out a book by Sri Chitravina Ravikiran called 'Oottukkadu Venkta Kavi - Life and Contributions' in which most of these questions has been answered conclusively and over 230 illustrations have been given to substantiate OVK's astounding musicianship, command over rhythm, lyrics, epics and other aspects that prompted Sri Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer to place him on par with the music trinity. The book also dispels most myths surrounding him (like most tunes were by Needamangalam Krishnamurthy Bhagavathar). The book is available in Karnatic Music Book House and various other places. Several audio CDs with his Saptaratnas, Navavaranams etc.

Since Sri Ravikiran's research is bringing to light several new facets of this great composer (for instance Kattu Krishna Iyer was not his older brother but his nephew), we are planning to bring a new edition of the book with much more significant information in due course :D .

Regards,
Divya

vasanthakokilam

Part 1 of the 2 part series on OVK by Ravi Kiran: http://www.hindu.com/mag/2011/02/13/sto ... 170500.htm

Ravi Kiran writes well. His authority on the subject matter is felt vividly without him claiming it overtly, which is how it should be. He also includes parenthetical descriptions of CM specific vocabulary which is very welcome.

One thing I would like Ravi Kiran to address in the subsequent article is the context of OVK's dance oriented compositions. Did he compose them for a specific set of dancers, either attached to any Royal courts or otherwise. Or they were just general compositions that were later adopted by dancers because they go with the dance genre so well. Not sure if there is anything from the available material that can provide clues to that. Ravi kiran writes that OVK, in one sense, bridges the gap between Purandaradasa and the Trinity. Well taken, and the dance oriented compositions provide an interesting and delightful wrinkle to that narrative.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

VK - Sri OVK did not compose for mere mortal dancers. He is supposed to have visualized kRshNa dancing with the gOpis - and the compositions flowed out of him. As I understand it (and I could be wrong), in later years, a bunch of his compositions were 'purchased' from the family by a naTTuvanAr, and the compositions became infra dig as they became tainted as 'dance songs' for the CM artists.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I contacted Ravikiran and he has sent me this link. Hope this answers some questions.

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article1468170.ece

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

"OVK did not compose for mere mortal dancers. He is supposed to have visualized kRshNa dancing with the gOpis - and the compositions flowed out of him. "

This is how the song "Adathu Asangathu vaa" flowed out. Let us listen Sri Sri Muralidara Swamigal

E'-SWARA-001-Adathu asangathu Vaa -Venkatakavi-Sri Sri Sri Muralidhara Swamigal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-tp60DXGM

For each of the composition there can be a background, if we are able to dig out.

venkatakailasam

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here is an article on Venkatakavi.

http://www.chembur.com/carnatic/page05.html