shri raga navAvarana

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
Priya_s

Post by Priya_s »

Hi everyone..
Can the Shri raga Navavaranam "Shri Kamalambige shive pahimam" be used somewhere after the main piece in a concert or is it strictly a mangalam? (I know its basically navavarana mangalam kriti) but just wanted to know if its compulsorily a mangalam?

Because there are some exceptions/anomalies like
1) Adiya padathai (a surutti gopalakrishna bharathi kriti) is sung midway in the concert
2) Ninujuchi Nannu in sowrashtram is used as the first song for a concert in many occassions..
AND SO ON...

This led me to this doubt as to whether this nava varana kriti needs to only be the mangalam?
Last edited by Priya_s on 18 Jan 2009, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

srI kamalAmbhikE is a mangaLa kriti.

with regard to saurAshTram, the kriti 'nI nAma rUpamulaku' is a mangaLa kriti and hence is always sung at the end. otherwise, saurAshTram can be sung anywhere in the concert. same is true of ragams like surutti, madhyamavati, sri ragam, manirangu etc.

mangaLa kriti are kriti specific issues. not raga specifics

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

SrI kamalAmbikE is composed as the mangala krthi FOR the navAvarana set. this doesn't mean it can't be sung elsewhere in the course of a concert. Except songs which explicitly use the words Mangalam/ jaya mangalam /shubha mangalam etc, any such song - srI kamalAmbike, srI abhayamba or srI mUlAdhAra can be sung anywhere in the course of a concert.
This is my opinion, of course.

Priya_s

Post by Priya_s »

nice to get some replies for this post... thanks kirthi for your opinion...awaiting more opinions on this from other rasikas as well.. hope to get some real good practical examples of concert song list substantiating this point..Because that will be the ultimate proof which will justify this point.. Like for eg I saw a recent review in paper wherein the artist had shri abhayamba right in the middle of the song list for her concert...

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Priya, you refer to this kriti several times as 'navAvarNa' - the correct term is 'navAvaraNa'

Priya_s

Post by Priya_s »

yup thanks noted... I've changed the spelling now...

prashant

Post by prashant »

Sri DKJ used to sing shri abhayAmbA in the middle of concerts with AlApanA and swaras very often. I think these krithis can be sung anywhere in a concert and I personally would be very receptive to a more detailed treatment of shri kamalAmbikE. I would think that the line 'ramAvANIsakhI rAjayOga sukhI' would be very pleasant for a short niraval.