Translation for Yen Palli Kondirayya

Classical Dance forms & related music
nthek

Post by nthek »

Can someone please translate this song? I'd appreciate the help!

All the best,

N

Yen Palli Kondirayya
Artist: Vasanthakokilam N C
Ragam: Raagamaalika
Thalam: Aadi
Composer: Arunachala Kavirayar
Album: Milestones
raagam: mOhanam

28 harikaambhOji janya
Aa: S R2 G3 P D2 S
Av: S D2 P G3 R2 S

taaLam: aadi
Composer: Arunaacala Kavi
Language: Tamil

Pallavi

En paLLI koNDIrayya? shrI ranganAtharE nIr
(En)

Anupallavi

Ambal pUtta shaya paruvata maDuvilE-yavadaritta iraNDATri naDuvilE
(En)

CaraNam 1

kOshikan shol kurittadarkkO? arakki kulaiyil ambu terittadarkkO?
Ishan villai murittadarkkO? parashurAmanuram parittadarkkO?
mAshillAda mithilEshan peNNuDanE vazhi naDanda iLaippO?
dUshilAda guhanODattilE gangai turai kaDanda iLaippO?
mIshuramAm citrakUTac cikarak kalmishai kiDanda iLaippO?
kAshinimEl mArIcanODiya gati toDarnda iLaippO?
OdikkaLittO dEviyai tEdi iLaittO? MarangaLezhunduLaittO?
kaDalai kaTTi vaLaittO? lankai ennum kAval mAnagarai iDitta varuttamO?
rAvaNAdigaLai muDitta varuttamO?
(En)

CaraNam 2

maduraiyilE varum kaLaiyO? mudalai vAi magaLaittarum kaLaiyO?
edir erudai perungaLaiyO? Kanrai eDutterinda perugaLaiyO?
puduvai Ana mulaiyuNDu pEyin uyir pOkkiyaluttIRO?
adira Odivarum kuruvi vAyai iraNDAkkiyaluttIrO?
tudi shei AyargaLai kAkka vENDi malai tUkki yaluttIrO?
sati shei kAlinAl kALingan maNImuDi tAkkiyaluttIrO?
Marudam shAittO? Adu mADugaL mEittO?
sakaDuruLait teittO? kanjan uyirai mAittO?
arjunanukkAga sArathiyAi tEr viDutta varuttamO?
pOrilE cakkaram eDutta varuttamO?
(En)

CaraNam 3

paDi tanilE mettavum nAnE ummai param enavE aDuttEnE
aDimai koLvIr ennaittAnE shempon aNi arangapperumALE!
taTam urainda karum pArai shApamadu taDuttu rakSittIrE!
viDa oNNAda kAkAsuranukkoru kaN viDuttu rakSittIrE!
koDumai koNDazhuda draupadaikkut tuyil koDuttu rakSittIrE!
maDuvil Anai mun ODi mudalaiyai maDittu rakSittIrE adupOl
vArum kripai kaNNAlE pArum manakkavalai tIrum
ninaitta varam tArum tArum en sAmi vaKSamEvum
mahAlakSmiyuDan perum pakSamAga ennai rakSikka ezhundirum
(En)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

nthek,

Here you go....if you do not mind, I will do this boluses. This one has the pallavi, anupallavi and the first caraNam.

This song is addressed to Lord ranganAtha of SrIrangam who is reclining on AdisESa...The composer wonders why the Lord has taken to his bed when there is so much suffering in the world, and tries to find reasons for his weariness in his various lIlAs.

pallaVI:

En paLLi koNDIr ayyA, SrI ranganAtharE? nIr...(En)

Oh Lord (ayyA), SrI ranganAthA (ranganAtharE), why (En) did you (nIr) [1] take to (koNDIr) to your bed (paLLi)?

anupallavI:
Ambal pUtta Sakya paruvata maDuvilE avadharitta iranDu ATru naDuvilE...(En)

(Why did you take to your bed that lies) in the middle of (naDuvilE) two (iranDu) rivers (ATru) [2] that originated (avadharitta) from a pond (maDuvilE) effloresced (pUtta) with water lillies (Ambal) in the Sakya mountains (paruvatam)?

caraNam 1:
kOshikan shol kurittadarkkO? arakki kulaiyil ambu terittadarkkO? Was is because you considered (kuraittaDarkkO) the words (Sol) of viSvAmitra (kOSikan)? Or was is because you struck (teRittadarkkO) an arrow (ambu) in the abdomen (kulaiyil) of the demoness (arakki) tATakA to fell her?
Ishan villai murittadarkkO? parashurAmanuram parittadarkkO? Was it because you broke (murittadarkkO) the bow (villai) of Lord Siva (ISan)? Or perhaps because you had to drain/destroy (parittadarkkO) the 'strength' (uram) of paraSurAmA?
mAshillAda mithilEshan peNNuDanE vazhi naDanda iLaippO? Or was it the weariness (iLaippO) of having walked/journeyed (naDanda) through thick-and-thin (vazhi) with (uDanE) the spotless/blemishless (mASillAda) daughter (peNN) of the king of mythilA (mythilESan)?
dUshilAda guhanODattilE gangai turai kaDanda iLaippO? Or was it the lassitude (iLaippO) that beset you after crossing the river (tuRai) gangA in the boat (ODattilE) of guhan after he made sure that there was no dust (dUSillAda) stuck to your feet?
mIshuramAm citrakUTac cikarak kalmishai kiDanda iLaippO? Or are you fatigued (iLaippO) from having to have 'rested' (kalmiSai) by reclining (kiDanda) in the severe/extreme (mISuramAm) environs of the citrakUTa peak (Sikharam)?
kAshinimEl mArIcanODiya gati toDarnda iLaippO? Or are you distressed (iLaippO) from having had to chase/run behind (gati toDarnda) mArica as he ran (ODiya) on (mEl) the forest-floor/earth (kASini)?
ODikkaLittO dEviyai tEdi iLaittO? marangaLezhunduLaittO? Is the exhaustion (iLaittO) from running around (ODikaLittO) searching (tEDi) for your wife sItA (dEviyai), or is it from having to let a single arrow pierce (tuLaittO) seven (Ezhum) trees (marangaL) all lined up in a row?
kaDalai kaTTi vaLaittO? lankai ennum kAval mAnagarai iDitta varuttamO? Or is it the ennui from having to have overcome (kaTTi vaLaittadarkkO) [3] the obstacle of the sea (kaDalai)? Or is it the weariness (varuttamO) of having destroyed/torn down (iDitta) the secure (kAval) city (mAnagarai) called (ennum) lankA (ilankai)?
rAvaNAdigaLai muDitta varuttamO? Or is it the exhaustion of having had to completely erase (muDitta) rAvaNa and his hordes (rAvaNAdigaLai) that has sent you to your bed?

FOOTNOTES
[1] nIr/ranganAthar etc and terms of respect (instead of nI, and ranganAtha)
[2] Srirangam (where the Lord is reclining) is an island on kAvEri and the two bodies of water on either side are considered as two rivers - kAvEri and dakSiNa mandAkinI (per OVK)
[3] kaTTi vaLaittal - literally means to 'tie up and bring to your way of thinking' - a figure of speech of getting your way forcefully
Last edited by rshankar on 06 Jun 2009, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Bravo Shankar!
Beautiful translation and commenting!
May I add a small charaNam
(mohanam again :)

YEn paLLi koNDIrayya? srI ranganAtharE nIr (YEn)

shankarin urai kETpathaRkkO?
Angilatthil anaivarukkum aLitthathaRkO?
pAnguDanE gaana paNditharum ithai poruL aRinthu paaDa
(maruL)nIngi rasikarellaam mana makizhvuDanE kETka
enguM um peyar olikka, bhaktar manamellaam kaLikka
ulagil umatharuL jvalikka, naanilam ellaam thazhaikka
ranga ranga enRu sa^NkaTa^NkaL nI^ngi
maantharum dEvarum makizhnthu thuthi paaDa (nIr yEn)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Very well done VKRaman!
Nice bhaavam and mohanam is just ke~njing/(or shall I say)kon~jing ? (begging/dallying) :)

nthek

Post by nthek »

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

All the best,
n

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

paLLi koNDa ranganAtarE ezhundu pArkkum aLaviRku
avar perumaigaLai arumaiyAi mozhipeyartta
ivaraiyum (rshankar-aiyum) ivaraip pArATTi ppADiya
avaraiyum (cmlover-aiyum) oru sErkkoNarnda
rasikas.org-kku nanRi.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Hail, Ravi!
CML,
Truly spoken as the leader of the MAS!
Punarvasu,
You do know that we flourish here
in our Mutual Admiration Society:)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yes I am indeed a proud member of MAS
(Madam Arasi's Service) :)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

arasi :) :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CML/Punarvasu

THANKS - you do realize that you are more creative than I (am)? All I do is to try and preserve the beauty of that which has already been created (and hope that what I dish out is not insipid), so that others can enjoy what moves me deeply - you create de novo which always trumps everything IMO...:) But once again, thanks!

Arasi,

Thanks! And of course, add me to the MAS!

Nthek - you are welcome. I will translate the second caraNam later this evening.
Last edited by rshankar on 22 Nov 2008, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Shankar!
I can only quote from Milton 'On his Blindness'
They also serve who only stand and waite.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

A shiva bhajan to celebrate the kriti by AruNachala kavi and translation :
http://www.acidplanet.com/components/em ... 231&T=7500
Last edited by VK RAMAN on 22 Nov 2008, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That was nice VKRaman. It is indeed a standard bhajan. But in future post them in a separate thread titled 'bhajans' under Bhakti category. Otherwise it will be missed by other Rasikas. This particular thread is for Translation/Interpretation of Dance-related lyrics. You are welcome to render the lyrics (as you have done the first part)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is caraNam # 2:

After having looked for possible explanations in rAmAvatAr, the composer moves to krishNAvatAr, and examines incidents from krishNa's life that may have lead the weary Lord to seek his bed in exhaustion. I have to confess that I have no clue about many of these episodes. I am looking forward to be educated by Arasi/Rajani/CML/Punarvasu or anyone else who knows more about this.

maduraiyilE varum kaLaiyO? mudalai vAi magaLaittarum kaLaiyO? Is it because of the weariness (kaLaiO) you felt coming (varum) to mathurA (maduraiyilE) from vrindAvan? Or, are you tired (kaLaiyO) from having having torn the mouth (vAi) of the crocodile (mudalai) and given (kaLaittarum) his life to yama (ma)? [4]
edir erudai perungaLaiyO? Kanrai eDutterinda perugaLaiyO? Or, is your extreme (perum) lassitude (kaLaivO) because you had to confront (edir) c bull (erudai) [5]? Or, is it because of the weariness that has set in after you had to pick up (eDuttu) and throw (erinda) the calf (kanrai)? [6]
puduvai Ana mulaiyuNDu pEyin uyir pOkkiyaluttIRO? Or, did you become tired (aluttIrO) after you took (pOkki) the life (uyir) of the demoness (pEyin), by suckling (uNDu) at the strange (puduvai Ana) breast (mulai) that she presented to you [7]?
adira Odivarum kuruvi vAyai iraNDAkkiyaluttIrO? Or did you become exhausted (aluttIrO) by the effort it took to tear the mouth (vAiyai) of the sparrow that created a quake (adira) when it ran (ODivarum) towards you into two (iraNDAkki) [8]?
tudi shei AyargaLai kAkka vENDi malai tUkki yaluttIrO? Or, are you weary (aluttIrO) from having lifted (tUkki) up the gOvardhan hill (malai) to protect (kAkka vENDi) the cowherds (AyargaLai) that worship (tudi Sei) you [9]?
sadi shei kAlinAl kALingan maNImuDi tAkkiyaluttIrO? Or is the weariness (aluttIrO) that set in after you had to attack (tAkki) the treacherous (saDi Sei) kALiya (kALingan) with your foot (kAlinAl) on his head (maNimuDi) [10]?
marudam shAittO? Adu mADugaL mEittO? Or did you become weary by felling (SAittO) the two marudam trees [11]? Or from herding (mEittO) cows (mAdugaL) and goats (ADu)?
sakaDuruLait teittO? kanjan uyirai mAittO? Did you weary of wearing down (tEittO) the wheels (uruLai) of a chariot (sakaDu) [12]? Or, is it from taking (mAittO) the life (uyirai) of the evil kamsa (kanjan)?
arjunanukkAga sArathiyAi tEr viDutta varuttamO? Or, may be it is from the pain (varuttamO) of having piloted (tEr viDutta) for arjuna (arjunanukkAga) as his charioteer (sArathiyAi)?
pOrilE cakkaram eDutta varuttamO? Or, is it the remorse (varuttamO) of having weilded (eDutta) your discuss (cakkram) in the mahabhArata war (pOrilE) [13]?

FOOTNOTES
[4] Refers to gajEndra mOksham
[5] See CML's explanation
[6] See CML's explanation
[7] pUtanA vadham
[8] See CML's explanantion
[9] lifting the gOvardhan mountain to protect the cowherds from the deluge that indra's wrath wrought on them
[10] kALIya mardanam (crushing) followed by nartanam
[11] Refers to the episode when an exasperated yaSODa ties krishNa to a grinding stone, and he breaks two trees in his backyard setting free two demi-gods, the sons of kubEra who were imprisoned in the trees
[12] See CML's explanation
[13] See CML's explanation

I have never heard the last caraNam being rendered. If there is a vocal recording somewhere, I would love to listen to it.

EDITED based on CML's corrections.
Last edited by rshankar on 23 Nov 2008, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Most of these refer to the fight with the different agents sent by Kamsa and destroying them. They are all part of bAlakriShNa leela...
(5)edir erudai porungaLaiyO?
Refers to the fight with an Asura who came in the form of a Bull.
poruM means fighting (see the corection)
(6)Kanrai eDutterinda perugaLaiyO?
Refers to the fight with the fight with another asura who came in the form of a calf
(8)adira Odivarum kuruvi vAyai iraNDAkkiyaluttIrO?
Another asura who assumed the form of a sparrow
(11)sakaDuruLait teittO?
Refers to the fight with the SakaDAsuran (one in the form of cart-wheel)
marudam shAittO? refers to the twin maruda maram (which were two devas who were cursed and thus were liberated)) which were uprooted (shAittal) as bAla KrishNa was dragging the ural to which he was tied to by yashOdA...
mudalai vAi magaLaittarum kaLaiyO? does not refer to gajendra moksha. Krishna saves a shepard boy fighting with a crocodile (possibly another Asura?)
(all these stories are in bhAgavatam)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

pOrilE cakkaram eDutta varuttamO? refers to the fight between Arjuna and Bhishma when Bhishma overpowered Arjuna and hurt KrishNa whence with anger krishna took his cakra to counter him (which was against his promise of not taking weapons in the war) but then Arjuna recovers and pacifies him and sudues Bhishma....

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is the last caraNam:

paDi tanilE mettavum nAnE ummai param enavE aDuttEnE Realizing that you (ummai) are the supreme one (param enavE), I have come seeking you (aDuttEnE) and stand on your steps (paDi tanilE) hoping to be blessed/filled with (mattavum) your grace.
aDimai koLvIr ennaittAnE shempon aNi arangapperumALE! Oh Lord (perumAlE) of SrIrangam (aranga) who wears (aNi) golden (Sempon) garments, please make (kolvIr) me (ennaittAnE) your slave (aDimai)!
taTam urainda karum pArai shApamadu taDuttu rakSittIrE! You did deflect/destroy (taDuttu) the curse (SApamadu) and liberate ahalyA when the dust from your feet fell on the black (karum) stone (pArai) that was caressing (urainda) the banks (taTam) of the river, and protect (rakshittIrE) her?
viDa oNNAda kAkAsuranukkoru kaN viDuttu rakSittIrE! You did bless/protect (rakshittIrE) even the evil kAkAsuran whose behavior was extremely (viDa) improper (oNNAda), by taking out (viDuttu) one (oru) of his eyes (kaN).
koDumai koNDazhuda draupadaikkut tuyil koDuttu rakSittIrE! You did protect (rakshittIrE) the helpless draupadi who cried out (azhuda) to you in her distress (koDumai koNDu) by giving her (koDuttu) a never-ending pallU (tuyil/tugil).
maDuvil Anai mun ODi mudalaiyai maDittu rakSittIrE You did run (ODi) to get ahead of (mun) gajEndra (Anai) in the lake (maDuvil) in order to kill (maDittu) the crocodile (mudalaiyai) and protect him (rakshittIrE)!
adupOl vArum kripai kaNNAlE pArum manakkavalai tIrum In that very same fashion (adupOl) please come (vArum) to me, look (pArum) at me with your merciful (kripai) eyes (kaNNAlE), and put an end (tIrum) to the problems (kavalai) that beset my mind (mana)!
ninaitta varam tArum tArum en sAmi and grant (tArum) me the very boons (varam) I wish for (ninaitta), my (en) Lord (sAmI)!
vaKSamEvum mahAlakSmiyuDan perum pakSamAga ennai rakSikka ezhundirum So, along with (uDan) mahAlakshmi who exists/resides (mEvum) in your chest (vaksham), please arise (ezhundirum) from your bed to protect (rakshikka) me (ennai) with great (perum) partiality (pakshamAga)!
Last edited by rshankar on 23 Nov 2008, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

In the last caraNam, the poet appeals to the reclining Lord to arise and protect him. It is a beautiful completion to the first 2 verses. It is a pity that this caraNam is not sung!
Last edited by rshankar on 03 Dec 2008, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.

nthek

Post by nthek »

Thank you so much for the beautiful translation! I appreciate the help.

Best,
n

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Traditionally what are the ragas in which the 3 charanams are sung

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

mOhana and kApi for the first two I think.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lji, you are correct. I have not heard the last one sung at all.

ajaysimha

Re: Translation for Yen Palli Kondirayya

Post by ajaysimha »

rshankar wrote: 17 Dec 2008, 06:33 Lji, you are correct. I have not heard the last one sung at all.
Is there any recordings where the last charanam(3 one) is sung