Meaning- Thillana charanam

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
rasikapriya21

Post by rasikapriya21 »

Namaste,
I was hoping that someone might be able to help with the translation of the
following tillana carana-s. The first is in raga shankaranabharana, the second in raga shivaranjani.

1: kailAsa vAsA ardhanArIshvarA unaDangaLai (? ula gangalai ?) kAkkum
shankarAbharaNanai ganEsha skandanai shrSTittavanE dAsan krSNan vaNangiDun

2: kOTAnukOTi makkaLai kAkkum kunnUr mUkAmbikaiyE umaiyE tErttavaitta (?) tAyE kOrina varangaLai koDukkum simhavAhiniyE dAsan krSNan paNIyum

Many THANKS for the kind help,
regards
rasikapriya21

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rasikapriya:
kailAsa vAsA ardhanArIshvarA unaDangaLai (? ula gangalai ?) kAkkum
shankarAbharaNanai ganEsha skandanai shrSTittavanE dAsan krSNan vaNangiDun

kailasa vAsA = (the) resident of kaliAsa/Oh! the one who resides in mount kailAsh
ardhanArIshwara = shiva has parvatI in his left half (aka mAdu Or bhAgA = woman in one half) - half man/half woman (literally means that Ishwara whose one half is a woman)
ulagangaLai = (of) all of the worlds
kAkkum = protector (of)
shankarAbharaNanai = refers to both Siva as well as the rAga mudra
gaNesha = gaNapati
skandanai = kArtikEyan/murugan
sriSTittavanE = one who created
dAsan krSNan = servant/devotee krSNan (the composer mudra)
vaNaNgiDum = (the one he) prays/bows to

The god that I (krSNa dAsa) pray/bow down to is shankara, the one who resides in mount kailAsh, protects all the worlds, is inseaparbly united with his consort in one half of his body, and is the creator of gaNesha and skanda.

kOTAnukOTi makkaLai kAkkum kunnUr mUkAmbikaiyE umaiyE tErttavaitta (?) tAyE kOrina varangaLai koDukkum simhavAhiniyE dAsan krSNan paNIyum

kOTAnukOTi = crores and crores
makkaLai = public/individuals
kAkkum = one who protects
kollUr = a city in karnataka...
mUkAmbikaiyE = Oh mUkAmbikA (the ambikA that slayed the mUka asurA, or a demon that was struck dumb by a curse)
Umaiyai = (one who is) dumb (without the gift of speech)
pESavaitta = (one who) gave the gift of speech (to)
tAyE = mother
kOrina = requested/wanted
varangAl = boons
koDukkum = (one who) grants/gives
simhavAhiniyE = (one who) has a lion for a vehicle/mount (alternately, one who rides a lion)
dAsan krSNan = your sevrant/devotee krSNan (composer)
paNiyum = (the one) he bows down to or prays to

I (krSNa dAsa) pray/bow down to the goddess mUkAmbika in kollUr who protects hordes of her devotees, is the compassionate mother who granted the gift of speech to a dumb being. Oh! goddess astride a lion, you grant all of our desired wishes/boons.

I have corrected the sAhityam based on how Sudha Raghunathan has rendered this shivaranjanI piece. However, I am at a loss to understand the story behind the myth of granting speech to a dumb (mUka) being. The only legend connected with why she is referred to as mUkAmbikA is explained in this link, and it is the story I have heard when I visited this beautifully divine temple.
http://www.templenet.com/Karnataka/kollur.html

rasikapriya21

Post by rasikapriya21 »

Ravi: Thanks a ton ! Both for the meaning and for the corrections ..
If I do find any other information on Mukambika, I shall post the references here.
many thanks,
regards,
rasikapriya21

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

I think the "Umai" referred to here is "mUka-kavi", who was born mute but gained speech as well as poetic skills by the grace of Kamakshi in Kanchipuram. His work is the 500-verse "mUka-panca-shatI"