Trichy Sankaran

Carnatic Musicians
raghavt

Post by raghavt »

there are more important things in his life than our wishes!!!!

We are very lucky that he visits us each season!
Appreciate the comments of the rasika.
Last edited by raghavt on 19 Jun 2009, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Hi All,

Please have a look at Sankaran sir's redesigned Web site. Vintage concerts pictures and also, videos listed in Youtube are available. The recent video is titled "Tribute". I got the oppurtunity to view the full video in Bangalore in the month of January (2009) just before a Tala Vadya concert by Sankaran sir. The full video is is awesome. You can see some of the best accompaniments of Sankaran sir in that video (in fact to me all his accompaniments are the best).

I'm waiting to meet and listen to him this Music season :)

~ Raghav.

varadharajan

Re: Trichy Sankaran

Post by varadharajan »

My earliest recollections of listening to Trichy Sankaran was in the mid fifties when he was making waves as a "child prodigy who accompanies no less a vidwan of Sri.Palani's stature as the second mridangam". We shifted to chennai in 1955 after i got admission into Guindy Engg college (where noted mridangam vidwan Sri.K.S.Kalidas) was my junior. It was around that time that Krishna Gana sabha was started and the inaugral concert was by GNB with lalgudi anna, Palani and Master Sankaran( as how it was advertised in
paper) on the mridangam. I still remember that there was a crowd just to listen to the then 13 yr old Sankaran. Those were the days when the rasikas were fiercely divided on their rasikatva between Sri.Palghat Mani Iyer and Sri.Palani. So all Palani's fans had gathered to listen to Sankaran, who was then barely the size of his mridangam. But the thani which they both played that day was immortal stuff. There were occasions when Sankaran's returns got thunderous applause than Palani's, and one must have attended that concert to see the way in which GNB and Palani appreciated Sankaran. After that i saw Sankaran blossoming into a great artiste by playing double mridangam with his guru for all the top greats and slowly individually too as Palani's health hit a drastic low. He also had the support of greats like semmangudi mama( who took a special liking for him). Right from the late 50's, till he moved to toronto in 1972 ?(not too sure about the year), he teamed up with Lalgudi anna and embellished some unforgettable concerts of so many greats like SSI, KVN, T.K.Rangachari, Ramani, S.Balachander, Ramnad Krishnan, DKJ, Emani Sankara Sastry, MDR, Voleti, Nedanuri, Santhanam, etc..

After i moved over to delhi in 1976, i got to listen to Sankaran only during december as he had moved to toronto but then he had come to delhi a few times to accompany SSI, T.K.Rangachari,Kalyanaraman, and also with Lalgudi anna, Amjad Ali khan and Shantha Prasad. I think after the early 70's his playing in india got reduced to during dec season alone, but Trichy Sankaran shall remain forever as a resplendant star in the annals of Indian and World percussion. I shall write about him more as and when i recollect some incidents.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I would so very much like to hear the lecture that he gave in Bangalore about PSP in 2008 or 09. I did ask him, last year, if there was a recording available, and he said that even he had not received one.

Through one of his Canadian students, Curtis Andrew, who was there, I heard that this was an absolute gem of an evening, and TS had even made himself late for another engagement by extending his lec-dem and story telling.

This occasion would be of such benefit so much further afield than just Southern India and the diaspora, as he spoke in English. If anybody should ever come across it made public, please keep us informed here.

I have never so much regretted not just jumping on a train: I believe it would have been worth even going there, attending the function and coming straight back.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

varadharajan Sir -

Its indeed heartening to note that you have listened to Sankaran sir when he was very young, and that would have been a treat. As you mentioned, he will remain as a shining star amongst the Mridangam greats. Many people talk about the nAdam, clarity, speed, chApu etc of other greats.

Let me make a statement "Sankaran is Sankaran, always ahead" (Dunlop is Dunlop, always ahead :) - There used to be an Ad in Doordarshan) According to me, there is noone on the face of this earth who has the nAdam, weight - most important aspect and clarity. Speed- what is speed? You can't play simply in speed. Sankaran sir's speed is special as he has the same weight and clarity as he plays in lower speed. That is the 'firework' effect.

It is indeed sad that he moved to Toronto. Had he been in India, things would have been different :(

Please post more stories and incidents. Many would be intrested to read them.

Thank you.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

London rasikas will have an opportunity to listen to Prof Sankaran at the Bhavan Centre this Saturday, May 8th - start time: 6pm
First half: Veena recital by Smt Subathra Raguraman
followed by
Second half: Sri Balu Raguraman (violin) accompanied by mridangam maestro Prof Trichy Sankaran.

Details here: http://www.bhavan.net/event_detail.htm/58

ugk

Post by ugk »

jayaram wrote:London rasikas will have an opportunity to listen to Prof Sankaran at the Bhavan Centre this Saturday, May 8th - start time: 6pm
First half: Veena recital by Smt Subathra Raguraman
followed by
Second half: Sri Balu Raguraman (violin) accompanied by mridangam maestro Prof Trichy Sankaran.

Details here: http://www.bhavan.net/event_detail.htm/58
I just came back from there now!
Wow! What an experience. Trichy Sankaran certainly did not fail to disappoint. The level he is able to play at is something else.
He is first elite level mridangam artist i have heard live. Well i was taken to an UKS performance when i was a little kid but i was too young to appreciate mridangam back then. So this was my first chance to listen to an elite level mridangam artist live. And Sankaran sir was brilliant. He executed a couple of highly complex high speed techniques effortlessly with clarity and power. None of the younger mridangists i have heard can play like that.
I paid £10 for the ticket. And i went ONLY to see Sankaran sir thani avarthanam. Though credit to Balu Raguraman who did very well on the violin and his wife was soothing on the Veena.

ugk

Post by ugk »

Balu Raguraman midway through the concert stopped playing the violin to give a short speech.
He mentioned that he is truly honoured that Sankaran Sir was willing to come to London and accompany him. He called him one of the last great links who connected the golden age of carnatic music to todays world (im sure UKS and the late Palghat Raghu were also the links).
I realised how lucky i was witness Sankaran master as i often hear about people in India complaining that he is living abroad and they dont get to see enough of him.
I have recorded the Thani avarthanam on a dictaphone. I will try to upload it. But the quality of sound wont be perfect as dictaphones pick up all sorts of unwanted noise also. And i was also right at the back of the stage.
Either way, ill try my best

ugk

Post by ugk »

Some individuals on this thread claiming that if Trichy Sankaran had stayed in India some other mridangists would not have been so popular.
I only partially agree with this statement.
There are several elite level mridangists.They all have different strengths and it is not fair to say one is better than the other.
Its like the Palghat Mani Iyer vs Pazhani vs CS Murghaboopathy all over again.
People can only realistically say whom their personal favourite is.
TS presence would perhaps have created more rivalry and politics maybe. There is enough of it already in India without TS there. We never know why TS left India.
India is not a place where a musician can relax and lovingly cultivate his talents. Its a very vicious playing field over there. Everyone seems to be on a knife edge there. God knows how much tension would have been there in India when the late journalist Subbudu was looming.
I think TS found a nice balance by visiting India once a year. That way people will appreciate him more and he can escape the pressures of living there.
My own guru told me that whilst he was living in India, he did not have moment to relax and he was constantly being pestered and he was getting tired of the politics. Here in the UK, he has more free time, can earn more money and he is more appreciated when he goes to India during december to perform. And he says that he was very well ill tempered in India, he said that he has become much calmer after leaving India. Ofcourse he does miss his extended family and friends in India. Not to mention the more vibrant culture. I guess you have to look at both sides of the coin
It may surprise many of you but my personal favourite mridangam player was Palghat Raghu. I know very well that he is seriously under appreciated even within south indians. Even my own guru does not appreciate him as much as i do.
I loved PR because there was a magical laya aspect to his playing. Something you have do deeply feel,, you cant appreciate it with a superficial manner of looking at drumming.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

ugk wrote:
None of the younger mridangists i have heard can play like that.
I paid £10 for the ticket. And i went ONLY to see Sankaran sir thani avarthanam. .
UGK Sir, leave alone younger Vidwans, even older 2nd generation and 3rd generation Vidwans can't play with the same clarity and weight as Sankaran sir - This is my opinion (Not to offend anyone)

Sankaran Sir's absense in India has facilitated many Vidwans to raise easily. It is not that they won't come to lime-light; talent cannot be hidden always, it will come out someday, somewhere, sometime. So, all other Great Masters would have certainly come up; but some would not have reached to the level they are currently, they would have fought a bitter battle to survive.

What would have happened if Sankaran sir had stayed in India?

- He would have played more and more concerts, that would have increased his practice (Practice is the key even for great Masters)
- His would have reached even more heights, when the level of playing is considered
- He would have been known to even a layman who listens to Karnatic Music casually (as in the case of PMI, PR, UKS and KRM)
- He would have had lot of disciples and maybe one or two talented and deserving individuals who would have carried forward this beautiful style of percussion

You find politics everywhere. So, you need to have the capability to tackle all such issues. And I am 100% sure that Shankaran sir would have tackled all of them with ease. So, what has happened to him?

- His level of playing has come down drastically (when compared to himself) According to me, he is still ahead of all others now. But when we compared to the way he played in 1950s thru early 1970, his playing has come down. Age is also a factor as of now.

It is not that Sankaran sir is more appreciated because he comes here only during season. Trichy Sankaran is held in high esteem in all musical parleys. And he is indeed one of the links between the golden era and the current era. We have only a couple more 2nd generation artists left. I wish all of them live for ever.... :^)

Now, people have started knowing more about him and are intrested to hear more of him. I sincerely wish he comes back to India and settle permenantly.
Thank you All for reading such a long post
Last edited by raghavt on 10 May 2010, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

varadharajan

Post by varadharajan »

Dear Sri.Raghavt, Am very happy to read your opinions and am sure everyone would have felt the same so. Everyone has a right to express their opinions. Going by Sri.ugk's post in this thread and also in the other threads about some mridanga vidwans, i thought it is best if we had left it at that and not to reply to such facts in those posts, but rather continue to talk about the vidwath of those artists, in the process of we getting enlightened a bit more about the ocean called layam.

But somehow, when one tends to read some facts about their favourite artists, their reply to that borders on comparison with other artists, which i feel can be avoided. Like, let me summarise what i read so far- had Sankaran stayed in India, all the other artists wouldnt have been so popular, So and So is always miles ahead of others and none in this face of earth has the weight of Sankaran etc.. etc.. ( Instead, why not say something like this- "weight along with clarity has been/ is still the hallmark of Sankaran's playing, which makes him an outstanding mridangam vidwan"). Somehow, this dosent seem to happen.

I can already get a sense of whom raghavt is comparing Sankaran with, when he talks about PR's with MP's, MLA's, etc.. to facilitate awards. There is absolutely no need for such statement. This kind of discussion can go very quickly out of control into debating who is the better mridangam vidwan kind of thread. Instead, let us stick to discussing what this thread is all about. About Trichy Sankaran and his glorious artistry which we all admire to the hilt as rasikas.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I have a huge regard for TS, but, raghavt , purely practical grounds, I disagree with some of what you say

One man, logistically, can only play one concert at one time. Logically, then, it is a nonsense to say that his presence in India would have caused anybody to bite the dust. You could say that, if he were to move to London, the incomes of several mridangists would be noticeably affected --- but London does not have almost-daily carnatic performances and a season during which several big-name artists are performing, and requiring accompanists.

The idea that any single artist of exemplary skill would have any sort of negative effect on the playing of others also seems to me to be quite wrong. The fact that each of us may have our favourites will include a number of factors, some of purely personal style/taste. Lets be content to have a handful of top artists, and not single out just one. If history wants to make that judgement --- lets leave it to history.

As to why he left, and why he would or would not come back, it is just speculation and unimportant. It is much more important that we do have the opportunity of seeing him here every December

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Nick H wrote: Logically, then, it is a nonsense to say that his presence in India would have caused anybody to bite the dust.
To clarify - This was not my opinion, I was just narrating the opinion of a very Sr. Vidwan. This narration was to emphasize the fact that many performing artists also think in the same way (as Sankaran sir should have stayed here etc etc etc)

:)

Thanks

varadharajan

Post by varadharajan »

Mr.Nick, i have observed over the last 55 years or so, that most of the students of mridangam belonging to a particular school, are always so possessive about their school and their teachers, so much so that their views and opinions about other artists and schools are somewhat not so good (if i can put it that way, considering decency). I wont fault the students, as they have been given the kind of orientation right from their inception of lessons, that this school/lessons/artists belonging to this school are ahead of others. (Again i dont fault everyone, but this practice still happens, no one can deny this). Like the one said above - It is indeed nonsense to say that Mr.X's presence would have spelt doom for so many- Whoever might have said this.

Thus we hardly see, artists, students of "School A", wholeheartedly appreciating artists of "School B". Not many will have the character to appreciate rival school artists in private conversations let alone in a public forum. of course one can say that all the appreciation is genuine, but it is just arguing for the sake of arguing. They are not genuine. I can testify so many incidents regarding this. So why not we indulge in the artist's artistry related discussions, would be more fruitful to one and all..

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Always wish Shri TS settles back in chennai so that we all have more chances to hear him at chennai. Nice writeup of his in today's hindu
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/arti ... epage=true

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Nice article.... Thanks for the link....

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

An Interview with Trichy Sankaran is at:

http://www.musicoftheworld.com/profile_trichy.html

venkatakailasam

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Dr. Trichy . Sankarans Interactive session at the Srinivasa Sastri Hall was a big success with all the players contributing to the event in a grand style.Sri VKV the moderator should be now complimented by ALL music lovers for the excellent function which brought out the genius in the Mridangam master.The colourful show opened up with the small film in which John Higgins and Dr.Trichy .Sankaran featured and VKV has started the proceedings like our Indian Skipper Dhoni by asking the handsome and always friendly Cleveland famed Sri VV Sundaram to speak first.Like Sachin in the cricket field VVS spoke brilliantly and also narrated in detail his close association with the Maestro in a very great style.VVS speech was in fact a kind of small thumb nail sketch of the great DrTrichy. Sankaran.VKV then asked the Dr.Trichy Sankaran to speak for himselfTrichy.Dr. Sankaran said that at the infant age of 4 years he took to the fine and solid instrument.and he was tutored by one Sri.Venkatraman who was his relative and first Guru.Later on he came under the powerful and great Palani Subbudu who shaped him into one of the best accompanists in a much younger age.Dr.Sankarans speech was full of very interesting and musical anecdotes.Sri.Subramaniam one of the constant disciples of the eternal great Semmangudi narrated his experiences with DrTrichy Sankaran. on the stage.Karikudi
Subrmamanian of Brhadvani spoke in detail about the nuances DrTrichy Sankaran learnt frrom the Palani school.Mannargudi Eswarn another great Mridangam player interacted on stage with the Dr.and it was like Shewag and Gambhir in full cry.One of the close disciples of Dr from the land of Canada spoke paying respects to the Dr.S and his skills as teacher.At 1Pm the full session came to the conclusion.Kudos Dr VKV and ALL left withDr.Trichy Sankaran on their LIPS!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Further coverage of the rasikas interactive session with Sri. Trichy Sankaran is here:

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15651

The thread leading up to the event:

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15410

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

and he was tutored by one Sri.Venkatraman who was his relative and first Guru.
Sir, He is not 'One Sri Venkataraman' :tmi: Poovalur Venkataraman was Sankaran Sir's cousin; but he was the disciple of Mylattur Sami Iyer (Tanjore School) and one of the early and senior disciple of PSP the great. While talking about PSP's disciples, the name of Poovalur Venkataraman is omitted. Its known to everyone Sri Venkataraman had a very close association with PSP and was instrumental in linking Sankaran sir with PSP. Sri Venkataraman was AIR staff artist and his son Poovalur Sreenivasan (known as Sreeji) is also a performing Mridangam artist in the US.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I think that what you say was made clear by Sr Sankaran, He told of his first meeting with PSP.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Nick H wrote:I think that what you say was made clear by Sr Sankaran, He told of his first meeting with PSP.
Yes, this was made clear by Sankaran sir in the beginning itself. I was talking in generally that Shri Venkataraman's name is not mentioned as it should be, whenever the list of students of PSP the great's is discussed. My bad, I should have been explicit as the thread is exclusively about the interactive session. Anyways lets not deviate from the subject.

Thank you.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

No problem. I can only confirm what you say by mentioning that I had never heard of him, and, although no historian, I have had some education in PSP school.

chetants

Post by chetants »

Dear Rasikas, Just learnt that Sri Trichy Sankaran has been chosen as this year's Sangitha Kalanidhi! A well deserved one and my Hearty Congratulations to the maestro! May he entrall all of us for many more years to come!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

where ever this vidwan was (Trichy) or is (Toronto), he is a perfect T --> I expect perhaps he should be a resident of Teynampet soon
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2677819.ece

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Just learnt that Sri Trichy Sankaran has been chosen as this year's Sangitha Kalanidhi!
Good news is still good news, whether heard early or late :)

cienu

Post by cienu »

An interview with Sri Trichy Sankaran in "The Hindu" is available in the link below :
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/arti ... epage=true

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

May I also know who are the leading disciples of TS (Attn: mahavishnu )
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2834744.ece

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Rajesh, many of his disciples are based in N. America.
A list (with pictures) can be found here.http://www.trichysankaran.com/bio/teach ... layam.html

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

mahavishnu wrote:Rajesh, many of his disciples are based in N. America.
A list (with pictures) can be found here.http://www.trichysankaran.com/bio/teach ... layam.html
Mahavishnu,
Tx for the link. I also saw just now that his young student sai kaushik, is son of Madurai Sundar.

rananthga

Trichy Sankaran - amazing

Post by rananthga »

I've been listening to many recordings of Sangeetha Kalanidhi TS on the mridangam these days and have been really amazed. What amazes me is the clarity of the strokes, the variety of cholkattu, modulation of the cholkattu and his gumkaram's. His cholkattu has azhuttham - chollus like thi, ta have a special emphasis. His chaappu is outstanding - be it arai chaappu or full chappu. His nadais make you tilt - esp. when he plays chatusram strokes in thisra nadai. Also how he changes nadai from one to another is smooth. (not easy to go to kandam from chatusram).

I know for many of the experts in the forum, I am probably preaching to choir and sharing nothing new :-).

He is truly a role model mridangist and for aspiring ones like me - he's been a source of great inspiration. THANK YOU Sankaran sir. Had he lived in India - I'd have loved to take some lessons from him.

Nick H

Re: Trichy Sankaran - amazing

Post by Nick H »

He comes to Chennai every December. i think he does have students here.

A little bird told me that he and his wife intend to spend more time in India each year in the future. :)
I am probably preaching to choir and sharing nothing new
I'm sure you are! But many of us feel the same. Only thing is, I'm sure we must have a thread[s] about him already. Maybe the moderators may merge.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Sangita Kalanidhi Trichy Sankaran
-----------------------------------------

Trichy Sankaran sir is really a doyen among mridanga vidwans worthy of praise, laurels and huge following. As members have pointed out about his clarity, azutham and others things TS has achieved mastery over this instrument. In trichy he had rigorous training which included waking up at 4 am to practice for many hours. My aunt who lived next door at the Panju Iyer Stores in trichy used to recall a lot about sankaran sir's practice sessions and his rigorous training. A fitting example of the adage "Hardwork Never fails", TS sir had the good fortune to learn under stalwarts like Puvalur Venkatraman and Palani Sri M Subramania Pillai. If training alone matters, then each and every student learning from doyens become masters. Whereas the sad fact is not so. Each one earns their merit through self discipline, timely guidance and opportunities, and above all Eeshwaranugraham. TS earned all these through patience, perseverence, hardwork, commitment and strict adherence to tradition. He has shown very clearly through his playing that real merit lies in adherence to tradition than mere stage gimmickry. I have never seen him do any stage gimmickry. The greatest asset of his playing lies in his vallinam/mellinam, hard/soft strokes (loose translation though), a joyful mixture of these producing lilting tone both to the artiste on stage as well as the audience. The azutham, clarity can come only through long hours of practice and applying body, mind and soul to the patterns with full concentration. It is not easy but looks easy on performance. Strokes breathe fire, patterns find expressions, melody soothes, beats re-live, layam transcends and his whole playing touches the soul of the entire audience present on the particular day.

I have heard innumerable concerts of TS sir. His commitment to the traditional methods of playing remain unchanged. An example for this can be cited from OST sir's comment which he made about TMT sir. It seems a kriti was taught to OST sir in the 60s and the same kriti was rendered by TMT sir in the 80s without any change in the paataantara. That is the sort of commitment doyens had towards tradition was the point made by OST which can apply to TS sir's playing too. His innovations are within the tradition. His creativity surpasses the common man's imagination but stays within the boundary.

Much can be said about his accompaniment. Right from varnam till mangalam maintenance of the weight of the playing is very important. Of course all doyens have it but special mention should be made to TS sir whose weight increases as the concert progresses. This is a great quality for a mridanga vidwan. A grand fact of TS sir's playing is in the method of accompanying different types of kritis with different kalapramanams. His accompaniment for Ninnujeppakaranamemi manasa in mandari for Lalgudi sir played at Krishna Gana Sabha 1984 is a classic example of vallinam/mellinam. Especially his accompaniment during the anupallavi stands out as exceptionally brilliant. Another example i can cite is a TV recording with DKJ, MSG and TS in which DKJ sir sang Guruvarulum tiruvarulum enakkarulum ganapathiye in khanda chaapu. He has played with full vigour in that kriti without marring the beauty of either the kriti or the layam. His accompaniment to Veena recitals and playing for Tanam stands out as one of the best. One more pre-recorded with S Balachandar, in which TS has played a beautiful, unimaginable tani avartanam for 3/4 idam in Hindolam kriti. TS has known to play outstandingly for kritis like Marubalka, Padavini, Ninnujeppa and the like. Equally adept is his playing for chowkka kala kritis like Janani Ninnuvina, marivere and the likes of swarajathis. I have also observed his pauses are minimal but his vallinam/mellinam compensates for the long pauses that the other mridangists give to create effects. In other words, if one gets the vallinam/mellinam combination of TS, long pauses become redundant and unnecessary. Palani school is famous for accompanying Tiruppugazh compositions and TS is no exception to this. His accompaniment to Paniyin vinduliyagave in Khanda Dhuruva Tala set in faster pace is a classic example. There is also a CD of TS named Count 21 based on the tiruppugazh Kaadi Modi Vaadadu Nool katriduvorum, which contains two tisra beat, one khanda chaapu followed by khanda laghu totalling to 21.

Vidwan Karaikudi Subramaniam used to talk a lot about TS sir and his playing whenever i had a chance to interact with him shows the level of respect TS had with co-musicians.

The title Sangita Kalanidhi earns respect through adorning such persons of calibre and merit.

Mannarkoil J Balaji

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Beatifully written, Sri Balaji.
Thank you!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
Can we merge this thread to TS thread in vidwans and vidushis
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 84#p215684

(mod note: Done)

Balaji
Beautifully written,I will pay attention to those concerts that you have mentioned .

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

No discussion of great mridangists can be complete without a few samples of the ever brilliant Prof. Sankaran (a personal favourite for both Semmu and myself).

Here is a vintage TS with Ramnad Krishnan, Lalgudi circa 1970. The sarievvarE mA jAnaki, just drips with the beauty of sahAnA.
https://archive.org/details/RNK-LGJ-TS-1970

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Ah, its just a matter of time before this thread got opened up. :D

I have always believed, KVN was best heard with UKS/ Raghu. Not any-more, after having listened to this concert. KVN_MSG_Sankaran Circa 1982, Sastri Hall. The clarity of the sollus sit with a precision of a surgeon's knife. Blistering accompaniment and thani.

Especially loved the part between 37:30 - 38:00, where he finishes the thisram and takes off. The weight, The clarity, The value of each "Num" & "Dhin" is breahtaking to say the least. So beautiful. To play that sollu in such a kAlaprAmANam, with such nonchalance, that too in the fag end of a thani and after managing KVN & MSG without an upapakkavAdhyam support is unbelievable. Even KVN's coughing sits so perfectly aligned to the misra chApu :ymapplause:

https://archive.org/details/05AKSHYALIN ... RANAMTHANI

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Superb track, Semmu!

Of course, KVN's neraval is top class, goes without saying. Something magical about misra-chapu; it is like it is made for neravals. There are great opportunities for the mridangist to embellish between and within the spaces here and TS does that so well!

Interesting that you bring up the KVN/TS combination, which has received less attention compared to KVN/UKS or KVN/Raghu. I think TS has indeed played fewer concerts for KVN than the other two stalwarts, perhaps due to geographical limitations. But every one that I have heard has been riveting to say the least. TS himself considers his concerts with KVN to be some of the most memorable ones he has played!

Another great one that comes to my mind is the one that was screened at the rasikas.org function for TS, which is KVN's "Evarikai" in devamanohari. TS's vallinam-mellinam exposition in that is superb as well.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Thats a great concert with "piravA varam thArum" as main. By any chance is the full video available of that concert?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Unfortunately, I have not seen the full video. Nothing on youtube either.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

semmu and Mahavishnu
For many years listening to UKS and TS gives me always goosebumps . I have some kind of mental model where i think Shri TS has got bit more calculated aggression (especially during tani) than UKS, whereas Shri UKS has a little more sunaada naadham than TS. Is that observation OK or am i way off in generalizing.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Rajesh, they are from different schools, so a direct comparison of the kind you speak of is very difficult. Fingering techniques, thoppi usage, the kanakku arrangements and the nadai amaippu/development are also very different, reflecting the PMI/PSP bAnis respectively.

Perhaps Semmu can provide better insight.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

I thought we left this activity abruptly. Thought of reviving it again, when i heard this "Unbelievably out of the World" thani today morning. Even though this thani is quite famous in the public domain, still thought of sharing it. Personally for me, this should go down as arguably the "greatest of all time thani" that Vid. Trichy Sankaran has played.

https://archive.org/details/RKTVTSNarayanaswamy

- Impeccable form of TS. Considering that this concert was in 1965, TS must have been around 22-23 years old that time.
- At such an higher kAlapramANam, the play the kind of sollus that he has played, is simply Jaw dropping stuff.
- The meetu-chapu shuddham, the clarity of the uruttai sollus, the thoppi mastery; All at this express kAlapramANam :: A lesson for generations of Mrudangam artists to come.
- Plain attractive sollu build up. It takes an incredible amount of sAdhakam, just beyond imagination, to achieve such mastery.

cacm

Post by cacm »

In my opinion the publicly available LGJ-N.R- R.R.-TIRUCHY SANKARAN NYC 1971 CONCERT HAS HIS BEST EFFORT. This effort while great to me is equivalent to many others- one with Harishankar for SEM SECOND BEST- & SEVERAL AT MFAC WITH LGJ GREAT ALSO bec LGJ knew how to give thani at RIGHT PLACE!....VKV

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Semmu, thanks for that link. Yes, the 65-70 concerts of TS before he left for N.America are all superb! And he accompanied a wide variety of artistes then (MDR, SSI and RK), each very different to play for.

VKV, not only is TS's performance in that 1971 concert amazing, but I would probably rate that as one of the best CM concerts ever. The swarams for vAtApi and the brilliant chakkanirAja mArgamu are both to die for.

Incidentally, TS is giving a lec-dem on this superb and rich topic of tani avartanams this season. Details below. I will be there fighting for a seat in the first row (after battling cross town traffic).
Monday 30th Dec: 8:30 AM
Lecture Demonstration
An ideal approach towards structuring tani avartanam
Trichy Sankaran (Mrdangam) Sri Parthasarathy Swami Sabha
Vidya Bharathi Kalyana Mandapam (Chennai)
He is also giving a lec-dem on historical and modern perspectives on tisram/chatusram at the Academy. But unfortunately, I cannot attend that one due to other travel commitments. Semmu, if you attend this, I would be much obliged if you could post a report. I have heard TS talk (on a few occasions) about keezhkAla tisram and his guru's unique contributions to this nadai development; but I would love to hear what his take is on how this has evolved over the years.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Mahavishnu,
We are taking efforts & planning to celebrate & commemorate this event early next year in you know where! VKV I AGREE THAT if I have to CHOOSE ONLY ONE CONCERT IN ALL THE YEARS OF MY LISTENING THIS HAS TO BE CHOSEN AS THE BEST; MAYBE we shd. start a poll about this. So far at least 1 dozen persons have chosen this concert as BEST FOR BRILLIANCE AS WELL AS JOINT EFFORT BY THE EFFORTS TO MAKE THE CONCERT FOR THE AGES.As they stayed in my house the days before the concert I was privy to the preparations. IT WAS ZERO ie ZILCH! ATOTAL OF 2 MINS DISCUSSION BETWEEN T.S. & R.R. ON HOW TO END THE THANI! I was CONTINUALLY AMAZED & SHOCKED THRU' OUT THAT '71 TOUR AT LGJ& N.R. MESHING THE WAY THEY DID without even DISCUSSING what they were going to do! I USED to think that a rendtion by Alathoor-Chowdiah- PSP & ANOTHER BY MMI-LGJ-CSM of CHAKKANI RAJA were the best till this came along!My month long vacation to drive them around ditching the very intense schedule bound Moon Landing was well worth it!....VKV

alpajnani

Post by alpajnani »

cacm wrote:In my opinion the publicly available LGJ-N.R- R.R.-TIRUCHY SANKARAN NYC 1971 CONCERT
Is this on Sangeethapriya? If so would be great if someone could point me to the right ID #.

Thanks,

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Alpajnani: I believe this concert is on Sangeethapriya, but it might be one of the public domain recordings that has some hissing background noise.

We discussed this concert at length some time ago here: http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19956 I believe Varsha posted a better recording. The link should be in that thread.
We are taking efforts & planning to celebrate & commemorate this event early next year in you know where!
VKV sir: I look forward to it!

Gumkhi

Post by Gumkhi »

one of Sankaran mama's finest ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl74M03i9E0.
Many thanks to the uploader.
What a rendition by the great MDR. And mind blowing accompaniment at such a difficult tempo[both fast & slow at the same time]. The way he embellishes takes the song to dizzying heights. The phrases he plays for anu pallavi & the way he fills the gap before MDR starts with "Ibha Rajendarudu" in charanam shows his class. The thoppi modulation & clarity of strokes at this speed are things only Sankaran mama could do.

There are many more gems out there & some famous ones like the ones mention above & airport concert, but in my opinion this one stands out for :
  • Making the mrudangam sing at such a difficult pitch [The low pitch is not the ideal pitch for mrudangam, In general its best heard when pitch is around D or D#]
    Breathtaking phrases & thoppi modulation at a difficult tempo.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Lecdem report of Shri TS. Any first hand reports of this lecdem
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 557639.ece