Lyrics-sundarEshvaruni

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Mahesh

Post by Mahesh »

I'm just hearing a song called <b>Sundareshvaruni ..</b> in Shankarabaranam[?] by Thygaraja swami. It's rendered by the students of Dr S Ramanathan in one of his lec-dems I downloaded a few months ago.

It's a *beautiful* composition and I would to hear the same songs from senior vidwans, can anyone help me out please?

Many thanks.

If any of you want the version I have, please post here and I'll upload it for you. It's so nice and calm and very well rendered.

I can't believe that this song is not popular ....

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

sundarEshvaruni. rAgA: shankarAbharaNa. Adi tALA.

P: sundarEshvaruni jUci surula jUDa manasu vaccunA
A: andamugala vara kAshiki samAnamaina gOpuramandu velayu mA
C1: caraNamulanu bangAru nUpuramulu karamula rava kankaNa yugamulu
shrIkara mukhamuna kastUri tilakamu merayucu nuNDu lAvaNyamu gala
2: okacO brahmAdi surulu okacO nirjara vAra taruNulu
okacO tumburu nAradAdulu okacO bhaktulella bADu
3: rAja rAjuniki celikADayina rAja shEkharuni gOpura nilayuni
rAjasa guNa rahituni shrI tyAgarAja pUjituni rajata girIshuni

Mahesh

Post by Mahesh »

Thanks very much Lakshman sir.

Can anyone let me know the meaning of this composition please? Thanks.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

sundarEshvaruni(Lord Sundareswara!!!) jUci(after seeing) surula(other gods) jUDa(to see) manasu(heart) vaccunA( will there be..)

After seeing Lord Sundareswara, Why would we want to see any other God..(meaning that we wwouldnt want to see any other than Sundareswara)

andamugala(beautiful) vara kAshiki(mount of Gold) samAnamaina(tantamount) gOpuramandu(shrine) velayu(live) mA(our)

Our lord wholives in a beautiful shrine of Gold...

caraNamulanu(feet) bangAru(Gold) nUpuramulu(Anklets) karamula(hands) rava(Diamonds) kankaNa(bracelets) yugamulu(bunches/pairs) shrIkara(auspicious) mukhamuna(face) kastUri(musk) tilakamu(mark) merayucu(glows) nuNDu(posess) lAvaNyamu(charm) gala (to have)

His feet are adorned with Gold anklets and his hands with diamond bracelets. His forehead is marked with Musk and he is very charming

okacO(devotedly??)) brahmAdi(Brahma) surulu(Others Gods) okacO nirjara(divine) vAra taruNulu(women-Nymphs)
okacO tumburu nAradAdulu(naarada) okacO bhaktulella(all devotees) bADu(sing praises of)
He is worshipped by the likes of Brahma, Naarada, tumburu and all the nymphs...

rAja rAjuniki(Emperor-Raama) celikADayina(friend of) rAja shEkharuni(he is the king of kings) gOpura nilayuni(one who lives in the shrine) rAjasa guNa(malice) rahituni(free/devoid of) shrI tyAgarAja pUjituni(being worshipped by) rajata(silver) girIshuni(mountain)

He is the king os all the kings and is the friend of Lord Raama. He is devoid of malicious nature and is worshipped by Thyagaraaja and lives on the silver mountain(Kailasaa)

Mahesh

Post by Mahesh »

Brillant. Thanks very much.

In the version I have, the anu pallavi is sung

andamugala(beautiful) vara kAshiki(mount of Gold) samAna

a few sangathi's laters it joins up with

maina(tantamount) gOpuramandu(shrine) velayu(live) mA(our)

is this correct breaking up or just artistic license?

I still can't believe I have not heard this song much more. The line "rAja rAjuniki(Emperor-Raama) celikADayina(friend of) rAja shEkharuni(he is the king of kings) gOpura nilayuni" will be an ideal line for neraval.

This song is set in chowka kalam and would have a been a treat to hear someone like MDR sing it.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Mahesh

I dont think we can break up the song the way u did it. It spoils the meaning and associated bhava...