Mt's Ananda Tandavam Aadinar Thillai Ambalavanar

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
natanapriya

Post by natanapriya »

I am looking for the lyrics and translation of MT's Ananda Tandavam Aadinar Thillai Ambalavanar set in Mohanam and Aadi talam. I am missing some words .

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Anandat-tANDavam. rAgA: gauLipantu. tripuTa ALA.

P: Anandat-tANDavam ADinAr tillai ambalavANar
A: Anandat-tANDavamADi ninrAriyaruL siddham pera shakkoDenrarukkukkum
tanip-puSpam tari shuddham padattirp-poTriruc-ciTrambalatunin
C1: pAda shilambu ghalIr ghalIr ghalIrenap-paim-porkuzhaigaL phaLIr phaLIr phaLIrenna
vEda purANam tattai tattai tattai ennavirittu shen shaDaikkup-pon tarittuk-kumjarattaik-
konrurittut-tiNpurattaip-puN shirippir-sangarittu nin
2: mAl kai maddaLam thaNA thaNA thaNAvenna malarayan tALam ghaNIr ghaNir
ghaNIrenna shelvizhi mAdu sabhA sabhA sabhASenna shirakkak-kiNkiNi kiNi shaddamtaraikkuT-
kingaNukkenru pirakka sorgamaTTukkum tirakka sabhai nirakka
3: bhaktargaL dEham vIrIr vIrIr vIrIrennap-patanjali vyAgrar jayA jayA jayAvenna
citta kaNangaL shivA shivA shivAvenna diDukkum jhem taNakku dhim diDuku jhem taNakkenru
kuDukkaiymbuja shengai eDukka dhvani eDukka

natanapriya

Post by natanapriya »

Lakshman,

thank you very much for your quick response. Is there a rendering of this song that I can listen to. Preferably in mp3 .

natanapriya

Post by natanapriya »

Can anyone help me with the translation of the lines in bold . Thanks.

Lakshman wrote:Anandat-tANDavam. rAgA: gauLipantu. tripuTa ALA.

P: Anandat-tANDavam ADinAr tillai ambalavANar
A: Anandat-tANDavamADi ninrAriyaruL siddham pera shakkoDenrarukkukkum
tanip-puSpam tari shuddham padattirp-poTriruc-ciTrambalatunin

C1: pAda shilambu ghalIr ghalIr ghalIrenap-paim-porkuzhaigaL phaLIr phaLIr phaLIrenna
vEda purANam tattai tattai tattai ennavirittu shen shaDaikkup-pon tarittuk-kumjarattaik-
konrurittut-tiNpurattaip-puN shirippir-sangarittu nin

2: mAl kai maddaLam thaNA thaNA thaNAvenna malarayan tALam ghaNIr ghaNir
ghaNIrenna shelvizhi mAdu sabhA sabhA sabhASenna shirakkak-kiNkiNi kiNi shaddamtaraikkuT-
kingaNukkenru pirakka sorgamaTTukkum tirakka sabhai nirakka

3: bhaktargaL dEham vIrIr vIrIr vIrIrennap-patanjali vyAgrar jayA jayA jayAvenna
citta kaNangaL shivA shivA shivAvenna diDukkum jhem taNakku dhim diDuku jhem taNakkenru
kuDukkaiymbuja shengai eDukka dhvani eDukka

Amraman

Post by Amraman »

Hi Ravi,
Can you give please give the word to word meaning of this wonderful song.
Thanks
Ambika

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ambika,

Give a couple of days, and I will post the meaning. There are a few words that are not clear to me. Is there a chance of hearing this composition?

Ravi

Amraman

Post by Amraman »

Ravi,
I saw this in youtube and liked it a lot. I have tried to find the song on the web but no luck as yet.
Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a0s9Zgr1wo
Thanks
Ambika

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ambika,

Here you go. I have based this off of the video from youtube, where the anupallavi is not sung (it is in AP that I have MANY questions about the words). If someone posts a corrected text for that, I can add that and complete the translation. In the meantime, I hope this will get you started.

pallavi
Anandat-tANDavam ADinAr tillai ambalavANar

The Lord of the temple (ambalavANar) [1] in cidambaram (tillai) performed/danced (ADinAr) the Anandat-tANDavam.

anupallavi
Anandat-tANDavamADi ninrAriyaruL siddham pera shakkoDenrarukkukkum tanip-puSpam tari shuddham padattirp-poTriruc-ciTrambalatunin

caraNam 1
pAda shilambu galIr galIr galIrenap-paim-porkuzhaigal paLIr paLIr paLIrenna "¨vEda purANam tattai tattai tattai enna viritta shen shaDaikkup-pon tarittuk-kumjarattaik-"¨konrurittut-tiNpurattaip-puN shirippir-sangarittu ninru (Anandat-tANDavam"¦)

As the bells on his anklet (Silambu) adorning his feet (pAda) resound with sharp sounds (galIr galIr galIr ena), his beautiful (paim) earrings (kuzhaigaL) flash brilliantly (paLIr paLIr paLIrena), and the vEdas intonate the sorkaTTu (tattai tattai tattai ena), with his losened (viritta) red (Sen) matted locks (SaDaiyum) are decorated (tarittu/dharittu) with golden (pon) ornaments, wearing garments made of the skin stripped (urittu) from the body of gajAsura (kunjarattai) that he killed (konru) [1], and having destroyed (sangarittu/samhArittu ninru) the three cities (tiripuram/tiNpuram) with a mere smile (puN Sirippir kATTi), (he dances in cidambaram.)

caraNam 2
mAl kai maddaLam taNA taNA taNAvenna malarayan tALam gaNIr gaNir"¨gaNIrenna shElvizhi mAdu sabhAS sabhAS sabhASenna shirakkak-kiNkiNi kiNi shaddam taraikkuT-"¨kingaNukkenru pirakka sorgamaTTukkum tirakka sabhai nirakka (Anandat-tANDavam"¦)

In this caraNam, the composer explains the sounds that accompany the dance: With the drum (maddaLam) in the hands (kai) of vishNu (mAl) intoning ‘taNa’, ‘taNa’, ‘taNa’; the cymbals (tALam) wielded by brahmA [2] resounding with authority (gaNIr gaNIr gaNIr ena); the lady (mAdu) with beautiful fish-like (SEl) eyes (vizhi) [3] applauding (sabhAsh, sabhAsh, sabhAshena) appreciatively (Sirakka); the sounds (saddam) from the small bells (kiNkiNi) around his ankles/waist [4] and small cymbals (kiNi) setting off (pirakka) a huge vibration (kNgaNukkenru) on the earth (taraikkuT/taraikkuL), reaching (tirakka) all the way up (maTTukkum) to the heavens (svarga) as well, and the auditorium (sabhai) [5] echoing (nirakka - fill up with) with these auspicious sounds (he dances in cidambaram.)

caraNam 3
bhaktargaL dEham vIrIr vIrIr vIrIrennap-patanjali vyAgrar jayA jayA jayAvenna"¨sidda gaNangaL shivA shivA shivAvenna diDukkum jem taNakku dim diDuku jhem taNakkenru"¨kuDukkaiyambuja shengai eDukka dvani eDukka (Anandat-tANDavam"¦)

In this caraNam, the composer describes the impact of this sight on mere mortals: devotees (bhaktargaL) experience pulses (virIr virIr virIrena) of joys and awe course through their bodies (dEham); the sages patanjali and vyAghrapAdar (vyAgrar) celebrate (jaya jaya jayavena) their fortune; and the siddhas (sidda) and gaNas (gaNangaL) chant the name of the Lord (Siva Siva Siva ena) as the startling (diDukkum) sounds (dhvani) like jhEm taNaku, dhim diDuku, and jhEm taNaku’ that emanate (eDukka) from the tassles (koDukkai) [6] on his clothes and the small drum (eDukkai) that he holds in his red/beautiful (Sen), lotus-like (ambuja) hand (kai).

FOOTNOTES
[1] Refers to the legend of the gajasamhAra mUrti - it is interesting that both Siva and gaNapati are associated with legends of slaying an elephant-faced asura - Siva killed the asura, skinned the elephant and wore the gajacarma as he upper garment (angavastram) - his lower garment comes from the skin of the tiger he killed in dArukA anam. gaNapati and the elephant-faced asura is refered to in the gaNESa pancaratnam as ‘nirasta daitya kunjaram’
[2] malar-ayan: the Lord/ayan who arose from a lotus/malar - brahma
[3] pArvatI - mInAkshI or in tamizh, the lady with beautiful (am) fish-like (kayal) eyes (kaNNi) - aMgayarkaNNi
[4] kiNkiNi refers to small bells that can be worn on the anklets, or small bells that hand from a waist belt as well
[5] the sabha refered to can be a small dance hall, the infinite skies, or our never ending consciousness
[6] I think this is what koDukkai means - others please confirm
Last edited by rshankar on 10 Jan 2009, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Amraman

Post by Amraman »

Ravi,
Awesome translation and the footnotes are really great too. Thank you so much. Yes it helps me a lot in visualising the dance passges. I am still looking for an audio of this song. Is there any website listing all Mt's compositions. I can only find a few like theruvil varano.
Thanks once again.
Ambika

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Ambika: If you are looking for specific compositions I can look for them.

natyarasika

Re: Mt's Ananda Tandavam Aadinar Thillai Ambalavanar

Post by natyarasika »

Hello - has anyone found an audio of this song? Love the dance/song but the audio quality in that video is not ideal. Thank you.