Meaning -javali - Era rara

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
rasikapriya21

Post by rasikapriya21 »

Namaste,
I was hoping that someone here would be kind enough to help me with the meaning of the Javali "Era rara", a composition by Patnam Subramania Iyer [ raga khamas; tala adi ].:

Pallavi:
Era rArA ceyidErA I marubAriki tALagalEra

Anupallavi:
mAra janaka sukumAra sundara

1 charanam:
valaci ninnu pilacina nannu sallApinci mariyu ullAsincavu

2 charanam:
sarasuDani cAla kOrinArA prANa nannu kaugalincavErA saddiga

3 charanam:
parama dayAkaruDena shrI dharma paurAdipA shrI venkaTEshA cEranu

thank you for the kind help,
raiskapriya21

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rasikapriya,
Welcome! I will not be able to translate this telugu jAvaLi for you, but I look forward to some wonderful discussions your posts always seemed to evoke in the Sangeetham BB.
Ravi

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Pallavi:
Era(Oh handsome!!) rArA(Please come) ceyidErA I(this) marubAriki(cupids torture) tALagalEra (I cant bear/tolerate)
Oh handsome. Please come. Please rescue me from this wicked Cupid's dont torture.

Anupallavi:
mAra(Cupid) janaka(Father) sukumAra(actually means someone sensitiv and tender) sundara (handsome)
Oh handsome!! you are the father of the of the Cupid(Vishnu)

1 charanam:
valaci(fancy) ninnu(you) pilacina(I asked) nannu(me) sallApinci(be mine) mariyu(and) ullAsincavu(be happy)
I have fancied and asked you to be mine. Why dont you be with me and there by happy?

2 charanam:
sarasuDani (Romantic) cAla(a lot) kOrinArA(wanted you) prANa(quickly) nannu(me) kaugalincavErA(embarce me) saddiga(tight)
I always thought you are romantic and wanted to very much. Why dont you come and embrace me tight?

3 charanam
parama(very) dayAkaruDena(kind) shrI dharma paurAdipA(King of Dharamapuri) shrI venkaTEshA cEranu

Oh Venkatesha, who presides in Dharmapuri vaasa. I Heard that you are very kind. (Why dont you come and make me yours)

Hope that helps...

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

Pallavi:
Era = dear fellow, rArA = come here, ceyidErA = here (is my) hand, I = This, marubAriki = to the annoyance of cupid, tALagalEra = cannot sustain,
gist: Please come, take my hand, cannot sustain the annoyances of cupid (anymore)

Anupallavi:
mAra janaka = Father of Cupid, sukumAra =One who was brought up in delicacy, sundara = Beautiful one

1 charanam:
valaci = desirous of you, ninnu pilacina nannu = me who called you, sallApinci = conversed (with me,) mariyu = and, ullAsincavu = (you) rejoiced.
gist: When I called you with desire, you rejoiced in conversation with me.

2 charanam:
sarasuDani = recognising you as a gentleman, cAla = much, kOrinArA = pined for you, prANa = my lfe, nannu = me, kaugalincavErA = why don't you embrace me, saddiga = immediately(?) (satti, sattu, sattuva = vigour, power, etc)
gist: Considering you a gentleman, I pine for you. Why do you not embrace me ?

3 charanam:
parama = verily, dayAkaruDe(ai?)na = abode of kindness, shrI dharma paurAdipA = ruler of Dharmapuri, shrI venkaTEshA, cEranu = to reach(?)(Sharanu?)

Dear kiran, you are faster!
--Rigapada

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

If Era means 'dear fellow', could I say to someone and say "erA rArA", or is this like senthamizh lol?

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

If Era means 'dear fellow', could I say to someone and say "erA rArA", or is this like senthamizh lol?

You can only say so to someone of your age group or someone younger to you. You cant say so to someone who is older than you as it is quite disrespectful..

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Thank you kiransurya. Will keep it in mind.

rasikapriya21

Post by rasikapriya21 »

Thank you all for the kind help offered; I am especially thankful for the word to word meaning .

Thank you Ravi: I must confess I was missing the interesting discussions on sahitya. Luckily Lakshman has informed me about the existance of this forum

best regards,
rasikapriya21