metronome synchonization

Tālam & Layam related topics
vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

This is kind of cool. . . Metronome auto synchronization.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1TMZASCR-I

Physics explanation for this would be useful.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear V K,
As a ph.d in physics which you will find is useless after you read this note let me say something & try to relate it to- sruti siddham& swarasthana suddham.
The metronomes shown in the various clips obey the principles of resonances leading to what is called MINIMUM energy states which are considered STABLE STATES. This occurs when there are couplings resulting on feedbacks which function well.
The relationship to sruti suddham & swara sthanam has to do with the feed back in REAL TIME- SERVO SYSTEMS whose response time is less than the resolution in time of the person's hearing system. In terms of Carnatic music the two who had it better than others were MMI & MSS. They were able to correct the DEVIATIONS from Swarasthana Suddham & Sruthi Suddham based on their Servo system feed back in a time LESS than the resolution of the person listening to their output. Of course this can be extended to the ABSOLUTE SCALE- like the middle white key in the piano being 256 cycles/sec- & only one on 100000 have this ability!
The fact that carnatic music has so many dimensions-- composer, compositions which appeal to the listener( he/she may be a devotee of Raghavendra, Guruvayurappan etc), artist they like( may be their relative, iyer or iyengar etc), as well as GOOD ENOUGH MUSICAL PROPERTIES OF THE RENDERING ETC contribute to the overall effect.
I would like to hear your HONEST FEED BACK whether what I wrote makles any sense at all or I am wet as a soaked noodle? vkv

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks VKV. What you wrote makes perfect sense to me. Coupling->Feedback->Synchronization. That model works for me for the sruthi maintenance as you described as well as laya maintenance. This seems to be another example of a non-linear system bringing itself to order. Order from Chaos.

Thanks.