Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
Sreeni Rajarao

Re: Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

mankuthimma wrote:My vote to S Janakis version for a kannada movie.
Bhimsen Joshi has sung it too.
Yes!
I have also enjoyed S Janaki's version for the kannaDa movie eraDu kanasu (1973 or 1974) the most!
I have not liked Bhimsen Joshi's version (this is surprising because I enjoy most of Bhimsen Joshi's music!)

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Yes
BJ seems to tie himself in Knots , in this song :P

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

mankuthimma wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/?iffcqok91cpv1sd
Sevikyavendum - Kalyani -SSI]
Is this tamil song sung in Andholika also is it not ??
Coolji- I was visualising a Juganbandhi betn. SSI & Bhimsen Joshi.Two Jambuvaans with same style of singing in two different music systems.
I am sure SSI would n't have agreed for such a proposition.
Especially Keeravani,Kalyani would have the right menu for a such a jugalbandhi!!!

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Is this tamil song sung in Andholika also is it not ??
Well I am supposed to be putting up interesting tracks here :lol:

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

http://www.mediafire.com/?0zgnih5rnyugoax

SSI singing a brilliant Varnam here , with KVN

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Coolji- Can u pl U/L ' Sri Lakshmi Varaham (MD) ' in Abhogi sung alongwith MSS ?

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Request rasikas to pl help me in deciphering the thala and eduppu of this SSI's keeravani RTP: http://www.mediafire.com/?zjk5dcb6zz6b81n

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

vs_manjunath wrote:Request rasikas to pl help me in deciphering the thala and eduppu of this SSI's keeravani RTP: http://www.mediafire.com/?zjk5dcb6zz6b81n
Misra jAthi Triputa, 2 kaLai, 1/2 eduppu

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

vasanthakokilam wrote: Misra jAthi Triputa, 2 kaLai, 1/2 eduppu
VK- Thank you so very much!!! First of all I love Keeravani, added to that SSI's RTP, that too in the company of MSG!( Don't know the artiste on the mridangam). U might have enjoyed SSI complimenting MSG with " Accha".," Besh" etc. during the RTP!

vasanthakokilam

Manjunath: I did not have time to listen to the RTP, I put it aside for a more leisurely time. Then I saw your question and to answer that I listened to the first few avarthanas of the pallavi but then got drawn to it and listened to the rest of the pallavi as well. Yes, very serene Keeravani indeed. Enjoyed listening to it very much.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Very happy to know that, in spite of time pressure, the RTP dragged you in and finally you enjoyed it thoroughly.

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

vs_manjunath wrote:
VK- Thank you so very much!!! First of all I love Keeravani, added to that SSI's RTP, that too in the company of MSG!( Don't know the artiste on the mridangam). U might have enjoyed SSI complimenting MSG with " Accha".," Besh" etc. during the RTP!
This is part of a commercial release..Semmangudi-MSG-Vellore Ramabhadran at KGS.. Enduku Peddala main and an RTP in Keeravani..

Sathej

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Sathej- Thanks for this info. Enduku peddala must have been just superb indeed! Nice to know VR is the mridangam artiste.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

vs_manjunath, during the thanam, SSI also says "bahuth accha" much to the amusement of the rasikas. :) SSI was always at super-duper form at SKSG in the 60s and the 70s.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

MSG went ahead for a longer ThAnam and touched upper octave Panchamam or so and there was a spontaneous applause by the audience, SSI completed and complimented MSG with "Accha" !

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

If I have understood SSI correctly , it could be a compliment to MSG's forays into HM territory - those phrases must have had a HM touch :P

nrswamy

Post by nrswamy »

Sir
Can u Pls upload ENDUKKU
Thanks

CRama

Post by CRama »

Regarding the RTP in Keeravani, it is one of the best Keeravanis I have heard and MSG's returns also very appropriate and engaging. Another unique thing I noticed is in the way the ragamalika swarams are sung. Semmangudi takes up one ragam for the ragamalika swaram (for eg, Nata) he sings swarams in Nata and continues with poorvangam of the pallavi in Nata, then sings the swarms in Keeravani and sings the uttarangam of the pallavi in Keeravani. This way he sings all the ragamalika swarams- Poorvangam in a different ragam followed by pallavi in that respective ragam, then swarams in Keeravani followed by Uttaranagam of the pallavi in Keeravani.
This is a unique pattern which I have not heard from any other vidwan- even from Semmangudi in any other RTP. He was really a great master of the art.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

nrswamy wrote:Sir
Can u Pls upload ENDUKKU
Thanks

Link to SSI's Enduku-peddala is at:

'E'-SWARA-030-Enduku-peddala--shankarabharana--Adi:
Download link: LINK removed

venkatakailasam

Moderator's note: please do not share commercial recordings

nrswamy

Post by nrswamy »

Thanks for the link

venkatakailasam

vs_manjunath wrote:Coolji- Can u pl U/L ' Sri Lakshmi Varaham (MD) ' in Abhogi sung alongwith MSS ?

The link is below:

Semangudi 016-ShriLakshmivaraham_Abhogi_Aadi_SSI&MSS

Download link: LINK REMOVED

venkatkailasam

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

This is from the album titled 'Divine Unison' isnt it. Lovely one.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks venkatakailasam .

While listening to SSI's Darbar, the question I often wondered about SSI came back to me. May be MKR has some insights in to this.

- The SSI's kalpanaswaras always had a special aesthetic appeal to me, whether it is Darbar, Dhenuka or other mainstream ragas. Did he work on it as an objective/goal, or is that how it had always been for him possibly derived from his musical lineage? What I am getting at here is, it feels like something that he had given special attention to it to make it sound attractive and I wonder if there is some personal anecdotes regarding that. ( this is not in comparison to other artists, other artists also have it in their own bANi )

- On the same topic of kalpanaswaras, but a different dimension, his particular style of singing kalpanaswaras, specifially the torrent of swaras starting from the third or fourth round, as we hear often.. Same question as above.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Re; VK's point: Darbar: I do not have any personal insight derived from my discussions with him. One explanation I have is what you have referred to namely--the Umayalpuram tradition--handed down from Maharajapuram V--as everyone knows(I have personally heard MV sing this raga)MV was great with this raga--Munduvenuka,Yochana(ofcourse MV took his own liberties with "mixing" up Anupallavi and Charanams of two different krithis thanks to his repertoire of Thygaraja's krithis!!!).
SSI's forte was always the choice of swara korvais(all within one avarthanam neatly arranged)-he will not stress the usual crowd-pleasing Ga Ri Sa Ri Nee Da Pa Da,Ga,Ri,Sa,Ri,Nee,Da,Pa,Da(in 2 octaves). Although the ascent is common to Devamanohari and the Nayaki hanging like a damocles sword,he would deftly handle Darbar.He can handle Nayaki brilliantly(MD's Ranganayakam --example),without bringing in shadows of Darbar.
He was very much like the great writers who could be terse and yet profound.His technique of handling Sampoorna Ragas like Shankarabharanam (Sankaracharyam or brihadamba)--he will use in his swara korvais,Sa Da Pa--omitting the Nee--without a trace of Mohanam OR Sa Pa--a steep descent omitting Nee and Da. He was not a slave to the order of swaras .Likewise in Thodi Gajavadhana,in the chittaswaram there are several Gandharams --within the Sadarana Gandhara--all brought out with great feeling--like wise in Sree Krishnam baje,in the Neraval in Sanku Chakra Gadha,(the Gadha one time he will accent the Ma and another time the Ga Da--the swarakshara mode. These subtleties were the reason his music in the early years was not appealing to many rasikas against the distinctive MMI/GNB styles.

In my opinion SSI can bring out the nuances of any raga omitting the nonessentials--that sense of discrimination--be it in his eating habits,conversations or social interactions was the one thing that impressed me most in my associations with the Maestro.

The main thread to be continued-sorry for the hiatus!!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Venkatakailsam,

You appear to post commercial music. Please note that this is strictly prohibited. You might get yourself into problems if you do not cease and desist from this. In any case, go slow on the sharing, we dont want the thread to just be a bunch of links.

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Dear MKR sir,

His swara varjya prayogams (deliberately avoiding some swaras yet maintaining the purity of the raga) are just out of the world. Your post just reminded me of his awesome use of the phrase " Ni paa ma... Saa Ni paa ma.....Gaa ri saa...Ri Gaa maa paa dha..." while singing swaras for Nee paada pankajamu, Nera nammina vaadu kaadhaa. Birana brova idhe was always wonderful and grand from semmangudi iyervaal.

In the same way, his Naatai alaapana without using rishabham. IMHO, he could sing any raga (be it Ghana raga, apoorva raga or rakthi raga), with ease and grandeur. It was sad that he did not venture much into vivadhi raagas.

Please keep going with such interesting and subtle anectodes.

Namasthe

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote: SSI's forte was always the choice of swara korvais(all within one avarthanam neatly arranged)-he will not stress the usual crowd-pleasing Ga Ri Sa Ri Nee Da Pa Da,Ga,Ri,Sa,Ri,Nee,Da,Pa,Da(in 2 octaves). Although the ascent is common to Devamanohari and the Nayaki hanging like a damocles sword,he would deftly handle Darbar.He can handle Nayaki brilliantly(MD's Ranganayakam --example),without bringing in shadows of Darbar.
In my opinion SSI's unparalleled expertise in singing short and sweet kalpanaswaras was best illustrated by his numerous presentations of Sriranjani in T's "brOchevArevvare?" As a child I remember being mesmerized by that smooth, cascading, but mellifluous sequence like flowers bouncing out of an upturned flower basket.

-Thenpaanan

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

The Sankarabharanam piece in the famous "Kiravani RTP" concert has one interesting point. MSG uses the rare prayoga sa, ni, ga (descent) while essaying the raga. SSI repeats (in a low tone) the notes twice to enjoy the rarity, I suppose. Sambamurthy has mentioned about these notes and the expertise required in singing/ playing them. (It gives a Kalyani ragam flavour because of the typical gamaka, is it not?)

venkatakailasam

srkris wrote:Venkatakailsam,

You appear to post commercial music. Please note that this is strictly prohibited. You might get yourself into problems if you do not cease and desist from this. In any case, go slow on the sharing, we dont want the thread to just be a bunch of links.
There some explanation is needed. The clips for which I have given links are considered safe and are also available in Sites which take precautions and give importance to avoid copyrighted material to the up loads. Details I have submitted to site administrator for his information.
The link to this site has been posted on many occasions in other threads.

I am submitting this as an explanation only as I want to get rid of the impression that I have posted copyrighted material and not to be taken as posting arguments.
I for one equally understand the importance of avoiding copyrighted clips.

My postings were made based only to cater the requests.

venkatakailasam

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

Venkatakailsam,
I suppose posting some very short clippings from the original recording for bringing out the beauty of the concert, only enhances the commercial value of the CD itself! Don't we read in book reviews some relevant extracts from the copyrighted book to emphasize some points?
Extremely sorry for the digression.

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Before I die ,
I dont want to know whether God exists or not .
I only want to know what is uploadright and what is not :P

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Venkatakailasam,

1. There is a difference between streams and download links, stream-only links are generally allowed. Soliciting upload of particular songs and responding to such solicitations are generally disallowed.

2. If you downloaded a song and reuploaded it to a personal upload site (mediafire/rapidshare etc), you cannot share it here. You should rather link to the original source and not to a personal upload link. Else you must be in a position to prove you did not violate copyrights or distribution-rights by re-uploading the song.

3. I have removed the links upon receiving complaints that some of the songs you uploaded are from commercial albums, and I have no foolproof way of differentiating every-time which of them are commercial and which are not. This type of removal is normal, and it is a moderator's job to remove upload links based on their best discretion. If the links removed are proved by the uploader to be non-commercial or non-copyrighted, they may be added back (again at the moderator's discretion).

4. Any uploads are expected to satisfy a largely educational purpose i.e when discussing a particular raga, it might be ok to show how a particular artist has sung it innovatively. Asking for an upload of "Hariharaputram by Semmangudi" when we are discussing about that singer, to the contrary, does not serve an educational purpose. It is just a regular upload solicitation.

5. That somebody asked for a particular song is not a good enough reason to upload it.

6. Links expire in course of time, and people keep asking for re-uploads. This forum's purpose is not to cater to these requests. We dont want the forum to be reduced to a bunch of upload requests, we have a lot of experience with forums that catered to such demands in the past, and we dont want to go down the same path.

7. The moderators by removing links are trying to protect you from having problems with the law, so it is best you co-operate with us by not uploading copyrighted recordings. We do not encourage any music sharing whether copyrighted or not, the forum's primary purpose is not that. Please remember that your uploads are entirely at your own risk, but we will still remove links that we think are not fit for sharing here.

venkatakailasam

Reg: 385;

I have absolutely no qualms about the removal of links.
Kindly be assured that I am not the one to question the rights of administrators or moderators which I consider as absolute knowing the intricacies of administering a forum.
I have not touched upon the removal of links. I have only provided reasons as to why they were not considered copyrighted by me.
As regards “ it is best for you to cooperate”, I submit that I will continue to cooperate in this matter without any reservations whatsoever.
BTW, kindle see how many Media fire links are there in this thread alone out of which one link was indicated as copyrighted.
I think we can have a clear cut policy as regards posting Mediafire ( or other) links. The use of the words ‘Generally’ can be avoided as it gives room for different interpretations.
Then, Members like me may not feel “I only want to know what is uploadright and what is not”.

I am sorry for the digression which has taken place.
Members can continue the main subject on “SSI's unparalleled expertise in singing short and sweet kalpanaswaras “

venkatakailasam

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Venkatakailasam,

There are members who may upload their own music (or other non-copyrighted stuff, or stuff which they have the right to upload since they obtained the artist's permission and so on) to mediafire or other personal upload websites, but these are usually exceptions.

If you hold the copyrights or distribution rights, you can very well share them with whomever you want. That is why I used the words "generally disallowed".

Thanks for your understanding and co-operation. Sorry for the digression, let the discussion progress.

nrswamy

Post by nrswamy »

Sirs,

Can anyone help me to get mama's 1968 MA concert . Whether it's commercial or non where can I get?........ Plz.

Thanks.

nrswamy

Post by nrswamy »

It seems nobody is interested to share...........
Thanks

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

nrswamy wrote:It seems nobody is interested to share...........Thanks
Hmm . It is just that the beat policeman's footsteps have turned around the corner , but have hardly died out Post 387
|(
Please have some patience until someone figures out if it is commercial. :lol:

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

SSI's kirvani RTP has become my Suprabhatam as well as my lullaby for almost more than a month or so; It has captivated me so much !

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

There seems to be a break now. May I use this period to request one of you to kindly identify the two todi pieces by the great master and post details.
Thanks in anticipation

http://www.mediafire.com/?ta6f7vbfg2fg2ks
http://www.mediafire.com/?5vap8aalp82eoa7

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

2 nd track uploaded: Swati Thirunal's composition: " dEva dEva mAm pAlaya" ; Thodi- Chapu . This composition is available in ST's compositions,Krithi no 62; ST's compositions publ in 1969

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

The other one is
Gati niye enru kadaridum enranai kadaikkaniyada--Todi--Adi--Ambujam Krishna

venkatakailasam

I am having a collection of around 70 songs of Purandaradasa. Unfortunately, there was only one song rendered by SSI - Manava Janma Doddadhu and one more by Chembai - Naa madida karma
Are there any other renderings by these two ?
can they be shared ?

Was there any reluctance on their part even though Smt. MLV had rendered a plenty as also MSS and DKP
venkatakailasam

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Ariyakudi sang Nambi Kettavarillavo .... as well . As an exclusive album with only Dasara Padas.
Closer to our times , there are still only a few names that immediately come to mind.
TRS , RK Srikantan, are the only two who could sing a wider choice in an expansive fashion . And what a brilliant contribution it has been , from these two !!!

venkatakailasam

Three songs of Semmangudi ( Video) recently recorded fro Podhigai Tv are uploaded to you tube at my channal.they are :

vallabhanAyagasya-bEgadA-dikshitar
nanu brova-Abhohi-Thyagarajar
Ramajohi khamas Ramadasar

Those who are interested can view them.

venkatakailasam

vintageaudio

Re:

Post by vintageaudio »

srinivasrgvn wrote:Well fellow rasikas,
I hunted, hunted and hunted to finally find out that SSI has never even hummed Simhendramadhyamam. That is quite sad. =(
I don't know why certain artistes just completely skip a raga! Simhendramadhyamam is a mela raga, although not that popular. I don't know why SSI never sang this raga! Is TMK singing it? Does anybody know?

There is a 78RPM recording by SSI exists (Natajana paripala-Simhendramadhyamam) includes a short raga alapana too.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I came across this outstanding bhairavi RTP by the maestro (TNK on violin; don't know the mrudangist) in Kasturi Mambalam's folder on Sangeethamshare and am uploading it here for the convenience of rasikas. An RTP that ranks right up there with his Shanmugapriya (with LGJ-TS), Kedaragowla (LGJ-UKS), and Shankarabharanam (VVS-UKS).

Ragam: http://www.mediafire.com/?482pipp9cqomo3l
Thanam: http://www.mediafire.com/?udadz84bh86tu01
Pallavi: http://www.mediafire.com/?v1vrm7595p68300

Exceptional manOdharma and bhAvam. Alas, it appears the audience at this particular concert were completely impervious, given how frequently SSI calls for silence. I particularly like the electrifying pallavi with so many variations and even third speed swaras!

venkatakailasam

Ambhujam krishna's : Gati niye enru kadaridum in Raga Thodi rendered by SSI in four parts

are at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pb6YTj_e0c Part I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI_nGc_-t5A Part II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzgeQjndAak Part III

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwA_n1r-fTk Part IV

44 mts rendition by SSI with Lalgudi and U.Sivaraman supporting. A mixing done. Song recording from AIR.

venkatakailasam