Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
fduddy

Re: Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer

Post by fduddy »

venkatakailasam wrote:Ambhujam krishna's : Gati niye enru kadaridum in Raga Thodi rendered by SSI in four parts

are at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pb6YTj_e0c Part I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI_nGc_-t5A Part II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzgeQjndAak Part III

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwA_n1r-fTk Part IV

44 mts rendition by SSI with Lalgudi and U.Sivaraman supporting. A mixing done. Song recording from AIR.

venkatakailasam
Amazing and majestic !

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

venkatakailasam- Xcelent mixing.Thanks for this lovely clippings.Kudos to U!!!

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Which rAga is the pitAmahA talking about in the first clip? He is talking of niSAdAntya bhASANga rAga janyam under 8th mELam (hanumatODi). Employs all the svarAs: S, R1, R2, G2, M, P, D1, N2. Sounds like sindhubhairavi, (if we can fix) arOhaNa: S R2 G2 M1 G2 P D1 N2 S and avarOhaNa: N2 D1 P M1 G2 R1 S N2 S. but I thought it is a rAga born out of the 10th mELam (again bhASAngam). Also, what he sings is closer to karnATaka tODi than hindustAni bhairavi. Can some one clarify?

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

He is talking about Raga Thodi- his opening is about this one.

Dr. Manjunath Sir, Thank you so much for the kind words.

venkatakailasam

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

venkatakailasam wrote: Dr. Manjunath Sir, Thank you so much for the kind words.venkatakailasam
I'm sure like me 100s and more rasikas would have enjoyed u'r clippings done with such a lot of effort. It's a pity no one wants to acknowledje u openly. I don't know why this culture has set in. There is a Sanskrit saying........ i don't remember the first half; second half ends as ...................vachanEka daridratha?? Implying " Poverty should not be there in speaking good words " Pl.continue u'r good work, I know u r the last person expecting any compliments from respected members!

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Thodi?? I never knew thodi employs two rishabhas and is a bhashanga janya of the 8th mELam. :o

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

I think SSI is talking about punnAgavarALi

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Thanks ArunSri. That make a lit bit more sense.

venkatakailasam

ksrimech
You can listen to the opening sentence of what he is talking about in part one of the You tube link above, if you have not done it
earlier.

venkatakailasam

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Kailasamji,
The opening sentence he says "namadu.... nama carnatic musiccula tODI rAgattula janyam". He is not mentioning the rAga name at all. He is mentioning it is a janya under tODI rAga. Its quite unlikely he is talking about tODi or hanumatODi. As arunsri pointed out, He is talking only about punnAgavarALi. The raga sanchAra shows that clearly. It is not about tODi. Thanks for the wonderful links though.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Hi,

I heard that SSI has sung elaborate swarams for nayaki in one of the academy concerts(i am not sure). Can some one throw light on this?

Regards,
Aditya.

venkatakailasam

An interesting article about him appeared in the FRONTLINE magazine of 06th Nov. 1998

Semmangudi looks back - at 90

The great Master of theory and practice relives Carnatic music in the twentieth century.

http://www.flonnet.com/fl1522/15220650.htm

venkatakailasam

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

SSI-LGJ-UKS Madras 27-6-1966. Fabulous Kedaragowla RTP with ghana rAga thAnam by the pitamaha with usual intra-music comments and besh-besh for LGJ. Million thanks to original recorder and uploader (to Sangeethapriya I think).

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Pl provide the link which will help rasikas to d/l & enjoy !!!

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Sangeethapriya is down; otherwise I would have given the original link to the concert.
Here is the RTP alone:
http://www.mediafire.com/?y21w9hvdiavekx2

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

:) Listen to the Grand Old Man's admonition at the start this bhairavi alapana (3 minute snippet from a 3-hour concert from Sangeethapriya)
http://www.mediafire.com/?05x50bjcnf7fxwa

sakthi.balan

Post by sakthi.balan »

Can you tell me which concert is this....Thanks!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Enna_solven Avl,
Thanx for the link.
Thanjavooran 09 05 2011

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

no avl for me :) I think I saw you discussing concerts you attended in the seventies? I was a school boy then.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Hi,

I came to know that there is a recording of SSI accompanied by BMK on violin. There is one video recording posted in youtube as well.
Here goes the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QOmZ2BcMG8

Can some body tell me the details of this VCD and the where it can be purchased?

Regards,
Aditya.

bala94ms

Post by bala94ms »

Hello
Can some body tell me the details of this VCD and the where it can be purchased?
I have the DVD. I purchased it from Giri Trading Agency, Chennai.
It is produced and Marketed by "AMUTHAM MUSIC PVT. LTD."
The Price of the DVD is Rs.399/- and is titled "The Concert - Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer "
Venue: Sri Thyagaraja Sangeetha Vidhwath Sabha

Accompaniments:
Dr.BMK on the Viola ,
Dr.T.K.Moorthy on the Mrudangam and
Sri G.harishankar on the kanjeera

He is Vocally supported by Sri Palai CK Ramachandran , Sri Subramanyam and Kadayanallur Sri.Venkatraman
Also to be noted is the fact that one can find TMK Sanjay and other top Musicians of today in the Audience.

It has the following Compositions:

1. Nannu Kanna Thalli- Sindhu kAnadA
2. MarivErE gathi - Ananda Bhairavi (Beautiful Kalpana Swarams)
3. Needaya rAdhA - Vasantha Bhairavi
4. marubalka- Sri Ranjani
5. E TAvunnAra - Kalyani (Outsading for his Age)

To add : The recording is COMMERCIAL
Hope this helps.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Thanks for the info sir :)

I searched for the DVD in hyderabad and banglore but could not find it.

Will try in chennai :)

Thanks once again.

Aditya.

venkatakailasam

nododiyin pulambal...he was a regular contributor in olden days to kalki...

His views about Semangudi...
http://kovai.wordpress.com/2005/06/21/semmangudi/

venkatakailasam

Here is a super Muhari by SSI...

kishnamai....

http://jumbofiles.com/uzn4y0tzrq9w/p-SSI 020-Kshinamai Muhari.mp3.html

venkatakailasam

Semmangudi's thoughts: Music then and now ...

Read at...

http://www.carnatica.net/ramanathan/semm1.html

and also...Semmangudi’s music allows you to transcend’

http://www.hindu.com/2008/07/27/stories ... 841000.htm

venkatakailasam

SSI-Saapasyat Kausalyaa...( SP Archives)

SSI-Saapasyat Kausalyaa.mp3 - 1.3 Mb

for lyrics and meaning....http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... salya.html

venkatakailasam

some guidelines were issued by Admin in post 385 of

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=375

I am sure that we not deviating from the guidelines....

venkatakailasam

# 412

This interview was by Chitraveena RaviKiran...

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Some kind soul has uploaded the 1988 MA concert of SSI-TNK-TS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jp_xmm-JyQ

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

bilahari Avl,
Many thanx to You and also to the kind and good soul for the link. Besides SSI lot of other clippings too.
Thanjavooran,
19 12 2012

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

fantastic. thanks, Bilahari.
i have seen bits and pieces of this concert, but a 2 hour clip is a holiday bonus.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Bilahari et al: I think this is the concert(cosponsored by CMANA of NY/NJ to honor Semmangudi held @ NGS.If I am not mistaken in this concert SSI has sung Nenarunchinanu(malavi) and if you listen closely you would find that SSI started off at a much brisker kalam than he had intended compounded by excellent and exuberant display by Trichy Sankaran--especially in the Anupallavi with the myriad sangathis--so much so at one point,you can faintly hear SSI saying to his sishyas "IRUD,IRUDA" trying to slow the tempo!!
I stand corrected if I am wrong!!

bala94ms

Post by bala94ms »

Namaskarams Sir,
It is very much true..In the Chittaiswaram portion of the Krithi Semmangudi Thatha turns towards Sri Palai Ramachandran and says "Iruda Iruda" (at about 57:22). Unfortunately the video is truncated at this point and hence the video of the beautiful Neelambari Krithi "Amba Neelayadakshi" is missing.. The Video resumes with the Bhairavi RTP. However this concert is definitely the Music Academy concert of Semmangudi in the year 1988, the year the Academy turned 60 and Thatha turned 80.

The Concert MKR sir is referring to, is shared on youtube in this link which according to the post was held in 1994,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KScDc5nnjFA
The Main Piece is the majestic "O ranga Sayee", To the best of my knowledge, he has not rendered Nenarunchinanu in the 1994 concert.

Regards
J Bala Girish

bala94ms

Post by bala94ms »

A beautiful Shloka in Yamuna Kalyani :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChyJZsUCTR0

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

I remember once shri M K mentioned in a meeting that shri SSI can become Chief Minister whereas he can not become a musician.
Thanjavooran
02 07 2013

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

It was at the 80th birthday celebrations of SSI at the Music Academy in 1988. Then CM Karunanidhi was the chief guest. SSI in his speech said that had Karunanidhi turned his mind towards music, he would have given him (SSI) and other vidvans a run for their money. In his speech Karunanidhi returned the complment though left handed. "If Semmangudi had come into politics he would have been very successful and would have made politicians like him (Karunanidhi) irrelevant."

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Is there any available recording of SSI singing Palinchu Kamakshi. I searached in Sangeetapriya and did not find it.

Can someone share the recording if possible.

Regards,
Aditya.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Yesterday around 9pm or so in DD-Podigai , there was an interview of UKS with UM Kannan. WHen i tuned it was initially SSI singing in red shawl with UKS and TNK then UKS spoke about how SSI is a personality of his own , how he encouraged youngsters like UKS and used to give them the status (anthastu), then I heard 1996 recording of UKS- VVS-Mannargudi Easwaran- Harishankar where the doyen was singing a ragam,taaanam and dakshinamoorthE in sbharanam.

What verve, if some one uploads some thing in youtube please put the link here. If any one had seen the complete program please put the proceedings here. Semmangudi mama was 88 and he takes Raagam,Taanam and DakshinamoorthE- what can one say even 22 is not doing it nowadays - i can just count few in that callibre now. I am assuming it was a special program for SSI.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

The entire concert can be watched here.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDBEAB0D82F2347B5

Regards,
Aditya.

Gadolinium

Post by Gadolinium »

rajeshnat wrote:Semmangudi mama was 88 and he takes Raagam,Taanam and DakshinamoorthE- what can one say even 22 is not doing it nowadays - i can just count few in that callibre now. I am assuming it was a special program for SSI.
How true, Rajeshnat. DakshinamoorthE is a very challenging (and absolutely beautiful) kriti, and so inspiring to see Semmangudi sing it at this age. Of course, he owns shankarabharanam as evidenced in the academy RTP (1958).

I can understand many youngsters not taking this kriti up. It takes a deep understanding of shankarabharanam combined with asura sadhakam.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Aditto
Thanks for the link.

All,
Did any one see the program where UKS spoke about semmangudi along with SSI snippets in the podhigai . Few months back i hear one where TVG spoke about his guru chembai. All nice interviewed by UM kannan. Any uploads into you tube is appreciated if link is provided .

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It is being uploaded by Sri T V Gopalakrishnan in sangeethatpriya.org usually.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I got this in one yahoogroup postings:

ANECDOTES ABOUT MUSICIANS

Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer

Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer’s Guru Maharajapuram Visvanatha Iyer was very strict. Read what Semmangudi wrote of a train journey with the Guru—“Picture me on a train with a tambura on my lap, my guru’s steel trunk, silver betel-leaf box and water-jug roped together and fastened to my waist. I couldn’t sleep when he was asleep and he wouldn’t let me sleep when he was awake”.

Semmangudu’s maiden appearance was in 1926. Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer had given a performance at the Nageswara Swami temple at Kumbakonam. The accompanying mridangam vidwan Azhagunambi Pillai requested that Srinivasa Iyer should be given a chance to sing solo. Maharajapuram readily acceded and Semmangudi sang during the late night puja. Azhagunambi Pillai played the mridangam. Undoubtedly it was an impressive debut. According to Srinivasa Iyer no sooner he started than the heavens opened up and torrential rain blessed him with a captive audience. Semmangudi stated that he could not hear his own voice!.

Semmangudi underwent two operations, one to remove a block in the nose and the other to remove the tonsils. The result was a wayward voice. One casualty was his pronunciation, inviting the comment of the most carping, acerbic critic of the 1940s, “Karnatakam”, the pseudonym of Kalki Krishnamurti that he pronounced “Siva Siva enarada ” as “ Jiva Jiva enarada".

While arranging marriages it is customary for the bride-to-be to display her musical skills before the boy’s family. After Semmangudi rendered Chakkaniraja in Kharaharapriya for the first time, it became the song that was to clinch marriage deals. The charanam starts with the words “ Kantiki Sundara “ describing Rama’s beauty. If the girl repeated that line three times, it was taken as consent !.

Despite being a junior, Semmangudi affected the manners of senior vidwans emulating them in matters of dress, sporting the tuft, liberally smearing his forehead with the sacred ash and tying his dhothi in the traditional panchakaccam style. This created an impression of his being elder compared to his real age.

He was noted for his great sense of humour. A few days before he died, he told a friend, “Actually, the God of Death did come calling for me last week. But with the muddle of old houses given new numbers on the street, he made off with a neighbor ”. One more anecdote. The location is the Shanmukhananda Hall in Mumbai, overflowing as they celebrated the centenary of Kalki. Among the speakers was Semmangudi. Even as his turn came and he stood before the mike for two minutes someone sent a chit. He read it and asked the audience, “Do you know what this is ?. I am advised to restrict myself to three minutes.” He exploded with feigned anger and said, “ I have come all the way from Chennai to speak about my good friend Kalki and no one is going to short-circuit me !.”. He spoke for full ten minutes crackling with wit and humour. “ Kalki taught me History of the Kingdoms of South India but I taught him and Sadasivam how to platy Rummy !.”

His last bow was to donate his eyes to the Eye Bank of Shankar Nethralaya, Chennai.

It was a serendipitous coincidence that on the morning of Semmangudi’s passing away, Chennai Doordarshan broadcast a seven-year old hour long concert by him, ending with the incomparable rendering of the Shankaranharanam masterpiece of Dikshitar, addressed to Sri Dakshina Murthi.

I conclude with an anecdote with a personal bearing. It was February 16, 1999. Semmangudi, who had turned 90 was being felicitated in the prestigious Y.B.Chavan Auditorium in South Bombay. Kishori Amonkar was there to adorn him with a Gold Bracelet—a Veera Sringala. The Hall was jampacked. After the bracelet was presented to him Semmangudi was requested to sing one or two songs by the artist of the evening Sanjay Subramaniam. He did and the audience was spellbound. After this he was lead to a seat in the first row. During a short interval I dived to the first row and prostrated and told him, “Sir, I am one of your million unknown admirers and have heard you for over five decades. I want your autograph.”. He said “O.K. What is your name and where should I autograph?”. I pulled out a copy of “Frontline” issue dated November 6, 1998. This carried a wonderful analysis of “Semmangudi looks back—at 90” and had several valuable photographs, including two in gorgeous colour. He saw the entire article and pictures and commented that I have brought a very good foto and signed on the colour picture. I thanked him. Then he gave a toothless smile and said, “ Ramachandran, there is a charge for the autograph. Rupees Fifty”. I pulled out a crisp new Rs Fifty note and gave it to him. “Don’t think this goes to Semmangudi. I collect for an orphanage in Thanjavur”. I said, “I shall not demand to know where the amount goes. I am supremely content that I could have your blessings and autograph. I shall cherish both as long as I live.

P.P.Ramachandran.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Nice anecdotes!! A personal anecdote(I may have mentioned in my earlier write-up on SSI Mama).
In the early 2000's(he died in 2003),I had retired and made frequent trips to Chennai and my father and myself used to spend long hours with Mama(this was the time when he was absolutely free and lamenting that no one --including TMK-- is finding the time to learn from him when he was "itching" to teach!1 Once a visitor had come--an old village friend--Mama introduces me to him as saying(this is so-and-so" the son of so-and-so) and adds,"this "boy" used to identify ragas in a flash when he was "young("5 years old--nowadays 3 year old kids give full concerts!!!) . After the gentleman left,I pleaded to Mama not to repeat the story in future--He asked me WHY--I was only paying you a compliment-- to which I said I Understand Mama but I am now in my sixties and if you keep narrating my exploits when I was 5 year old people might conclude I have not made any progress since then
(which might be true but you know truth hurts badly!!!)--he laughed and said you have a point!! Another thing he used to call me when I was young--when my voice was hoarse and raspy most of the times--he used to call me Ramanayya Chetty(a Jalatarangam Vidwan in the 1920's) because of the likeness to his voice--I interpret this to mean how ancient and obsolete I have become--if I have to be compared to an instrument and a Vidwan not much in vogue these days!!!

Oh!! Sufferance is the badge of my tribe!!!

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

MKR, Ramanayya Chetty was a jalatarangam vidvan, yes; it is also true he had a raspy voice, but it was from him that Naina Pillai learnt a lot of Thyagaraja songs. Jalatarangam was a disciple of Walajapet Krishnaswami Bhagavatar, son of Walajapet Venkataramana Bhagavatar. He was very close to Naina Pillai as well as to Veena Dhanammal who twice or so stayed in his house in George Town when she was in dire straits. Chetty was an expert in ragas and usually his was the final decision in matters of raga lakshana, along with Tiger, at the Music academy sessions.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Ravi Sri I am sorry if my post seemed uncomplimentary to a Great Artiste like Ramanayya Chetty!!-SSI himself has told me many stories of how Ramanayya Chetty commanded respect from the Dhanammal family.
I should have simply said that my similarity ends with the voice aspect alone not with the Vidwath!!!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Annamalai/Rasikas: Apologies for the "temporary digital hiatus"--yes the fear of the thread getting to drift is real!!Was preoccupied with some domestic chores!!

Continuing the thread,I was elaborating on TKI--Mama's uncle.WHAT I WANT TO LEAD UPTO WAS HOW TKI AND SAKHA RAMA RAO SHAPED AND INFLUENCED MAMA'S VIEW OF LAYAM IN GENERAL AND ESPECIALLY IN RTP'S . Before going into this I want to illustrate what were TKI's views on Layam.
An anecdote about TKI (narrated to me by one of my grand-uncles--a great unobtrusive musicologist who was a fascinating raconteur about the period--1910 thro 1930).

When Konerirajapuram Vaidyanatha Iyer(KVI) burst on the scene he was noted for his Layam prowess and indulged in it to the extreme(partly due to sheer youthful exuberance and partly egged on by the supporters of Malaikottai Govindaswamy Pillai((MGP- Violinist who was equally matched in his Laya prowess and who were trying to draw a sharp contrast from TKI's style). Once there was a concert with KVI and TKI(much older to KVI) where the organisers had silently "egged" KVI to do an elaborate RTP overloaded with Layam just to test TKI. Midway thro the Pallavi(which was more like a Simhanandana Tala) , TKI I believe put his "bow" down and said loudly enough for the audience to hear--"ENDA VAITHI, NEE MUNNAMELLAM FURLONGUKKU FURLONGUKKU KAL NATTINDU IRUNDE, IPPO MILEKKU MILE KAL NATTARAI, INGIRUKKARA RASIKARGALUKKULLE ETHANAI PERUKKU PURIYAPORADU,SANGEETHATHILE SUKHAM VENDAMA"(YOU USED TO PLANT STONES BETWEEN FURLONGS AND NOW YOU ARE PLANTING STONES BETWEEN MILES,HOW MANY AMONGST THE AUDIENCE DO YOU THINK CAN FOLLOW THIS LET ALONE APPRECIATE IT! THERE HAS TO BE SUKHAM IN SANGEETHAM.
from this episode about TKI and the earlier Sakharama Rao episode in one of my earlier posts(narrated about his aversion to excessive layam and personal gripe against young KVI for his excessive emphasis on layam) I think Mama was heavily influenced and I feel these my have been the reason for the simple Pallavis that Mama used to sing. I personally think it was not because he was diffident about his layam prowess but due to his own conviction corraborated by his mentors' views/advice. Mama's career throughout epitomised the saying "Obstacles existed only to be surmounted and ignored").

In one of my posts on the MSS/TS Saga thread I had mentioned a great memorable personal experience as to how Mama channelised his passion for music-(24 by 7). Forumites who recall that anecdote--I will not bore you again with the anecdote--those of you who cannot find the anecdote(the anecdote happened to me @ the Kalki gardens when I was a student in Presidency College and was the "errand boy" for Mama!!) I will condense it and present it if desired!!! To some who read the anecdote it may seem like "Chest-thumping" by Mama--a sort of ego trip--far from the truth. Mama was also realistic and not pretentious or claimed any divine inspiration to his music(although he was very devoted and pious). An anecdote involving him and Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavathar(HMB) in the early 40's when HMB enlisted him to succeed him at the Tiruvananthapuram Swati Thirunal Academy. HMB arranged the FIRST concert of Mama's before the Maharani(HMB's BOSS in the Swathi Compositions Research endeavour). Mama sang the Pancharathna kriti(Gowla--Duduku Kala). It seems HMB was sobbing uncontrollably at the end of the song. After the concert was over Mama approached HMB and asked him what made HMB cry saying he(mama) knew it was certainly not his singing(talk of being cold and realistic!!!). To this HMB is reported to have said, " In the krithi the Saint has attributed to himself all the bad qualities and craving Rama's indulgence--I know the Saint is totally innocent of those alleged sins whereas I am guilty of all the sins he has mentioned--I am the one who should cry and lament and not the saint!!".

This will lead us into the 40's --the Tiruvananthapuram days(need help from several forumites--especially CM lover and others who were in TVM in those days and have great insights into that phase of Mama's career--feel free to pitch in and carry the narrative--

To be continued---

Ramasubramanian M.K

Folks: This (post#449) was one of the posts I had "saved"(without my knowledge!!!) in 2010 which I have now retrieved thanks to srikris's benevolence!! So if you see a disconnect in the flow of the story it is because of this "time warp"!!!